Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:35 am

Awesome, thanks for the quick answers! That's one less thing to worry about :-)
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Fake Grass

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:22 am

We're thinking of putting down fake (plastic) grass around our sala and the kids play area.
Total would be around 100 sqm give or take.
Anyone have experience with this in Thailand - costs, suggestions?
What height of grass is recommended - shorter or longer is better long term?
What sort of underlay would be used - 2mm-5mm thickness I assume?
Thanks!
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: Fake Grass

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:We're thinking of putting down fake (plastic) grass around our sala and the kids play area.
Total would be around 100 sqm give or take.
Anyone have experience with this in Thailand - costs, suggestions?
What height of grass is recommended - shorter or longer is better long term?
What sort of underlay would be used - 2mm-5mm thickness I assume?
Thanks!

There's a guy on udonmap who is planning todo the same, his forum name is Barney & we met him early this week. He doesn't visit other forums so you would need to contac him there.

His building thread is http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/m ... nomobile=1
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:We're thinking of putting down fake (plastic) grass around our sala and the kids play area.

Max,
Be very careful with kids and plastic grass or astro turf as the Yanks call it. It gets very hot and causes burns that will take off a layer or two of skin if they should slide on it. It also needs constant watering, just for those reasons. I looked at using it in Puckapunyal for the army hockey team and on the infield of the athletic's track, but the upkeep was too great and the rugby players hated it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:24 am

Totally agree with RR, though seems to have improved over the years.
I would go for PVC tiles if normal grass is not an option, you can get them in all kind of colors and shapes.
Totally safe, easy to clean and dry after rain and soft rubber like damping if the kids fall.
schuimpge

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks guys for the answers ~ I had no idea it gets hot and burns if sliding!
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:33 am

Well we got back a few days ago, and I thought I'd update the thread, but we've had our hands full, literally.... Amazing what happens when you'e away for a few years from a house.
Ok, here we go...

Biggest problem is the footpaths around the house have sunk into the ground. This has cracked the water pipes that were under them. We've had to temporarily patch the pipes to get water into the house, and isolate the broken circuits. For future reference, never place water pipes under concrete structures that have no columns/beams. Another thing, is I was trying to be efficient, and had the same circuit that ran to the house, then continued to the garage and house. Everything must be isolated as much as possible. We'll run new circuits now for the left side of the house and the front garden.

side.JPG

house2.jpg

The water that leaked, and I assume all 3000L were emptied, went into the side and under the house. The moisture went through the concrete slab and was absorbed by the laminate. The skirting is damaged too, but luckily the plaster walls are fine. This is our second major laminate damage, the first was when a tap was left open in the bathroom damaging the corridor. For future reference, NEVER use laminate in a Thai house, especially one surrounded by rice fields. There's too much issues with water pipes, toilet taps, sink taps, and the locals who may not be aware of the intricacies of laminate and its intolerance to water. Cost to repait = 10,000 baht, scheduled for right after the water festival.

laminate.jpg

The soil around the water house (which is in the very corner of the land) has settled even more. The footpath has now dropped seriously down, but the stairs are hanging as they are supported by rebar into the water house structure.

This should not be too hard to fix: we'll mix a sludgy concrete mixture and trowel it in there, sealing it in with wooden planks smacked in with a hammer. Hopefully it will work to support it.

waterhouse crack.jpg

The footpath around the garage has cracked as well and sunk into the soil. Once again they were not really supported by anything other than pieces of rebar stuck into the garage soil beams.

garage 1.jpg

garage 2.jpg

What we'll do for all the footpaths is seal the cracks with some cement to prevent ants and all the other goodies from building their homes, and leave everything to settle another year or two. Once we come back in another 2 years, I want to put tiles on all the paths. I don't like the look of the sand-wash now, it's ugly and the color has lots of ugly spots. Plus once we lay the tiles, we'll level the paths off with cement, so everything will look spanky new.

I have not got to the fences yet.... that's another post....
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:45 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:This is our second major laminate damage, the first was when a tap was left open in the bathroom damaging the corridor. For future reference, NEVER use laminate in a Thai house, especially one surrounded by rice fields. There's too much issues with water pipes, toilet taps, sink taps, and the locals who may not be aware of the intricacies of laminate and its intolerance to water. Cost to repait = 10,000 baht, scheduled for right after the water festival.

Sorry to hear about the damage Max, I can recommend PVC flooring as an alternative solution.
As far as your concrete stairs are concerned, when we looked at all the Thai built houses in estates, everyone of them had the same separation problem, which is why I put in piles where mine would go. :D
Good to see you following Jeremy Clarkson's (old Top Gear) motto that a hammer will fix any problem. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:18 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:This is our second major laminate damage, the first was when a tap was left open in the bathroom damaging the corridor. For future reference, NEVER use laminate in a Thai house, especially one surrounded by rice fields. There's too much issues with water pipes, toilet taps, sink taps, and the locals who may not be aware of the intricacies of laminate and its intolerance to water. Cost to repait = 10,000 baht, scheduled for right after the water festival.

Sorry to hear about the damage Max, I can recommend PVC flooring as an alternative solution.
As far as your concrete stairs are concerned, when we looked at all the Thai built houses in estates, everyone of them had the same separation problem, which is why I put in piles where mine would go. :D
Good to see you following Jeremy Clarkson's (old Top Gear) motto that a hammer will fix any problem. :lol:

Hi Roger - Yep this is the laminate's last chance. If it does it again, it's booted out of the house and replaced by ceramic tiles.
Yep stronger footings would have been good. Too late for that now, so we'll patch it in true Thai style --> cement.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Best way to clean roof tiles?

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:23 am

What's the best way to clean ceramic/CPAC roof tiles here?
Ours are looking a little dirty after 3+ years.
Is it high pressure water cleaner? Any chemicals recommended (apart from Sunsilk shampoo which was used to wash the car with a few days ago - and Sunsilk conditioner for the shine/wax)?
Can really see the difference between clean and dirty with the few tiles that are under the overhang.
Thanks!!

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:47 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:What's the best way to clean ceramic/CPAC roof tiles here?
Is it high pressure water cleaner?

Don't do it Max, you'll end-up with water right throughout the house and a ruined ceiling too boot.
If you do clean the tiles, it's a start at the top and work your way down using a scrubbing brush....... I'd wait until the next monsoon. There are too many things that can go wrong with tiled roofs, the first being walking on them and cracking the tiles, the second, ask yourself if the steel will support your weight and the tiles at the same time. One foot wrong and you're through the roof, the ceiling and into hospital. Wait for the rain's Max, ignore the roof, fix everything else and mumble and mutter to yourself all day long about those bloody floors. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby oil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:01 pm

i think as well you ll get lots of water inside with a high pressure water cleaner ...
i would rather go for the Scrubbing ... but paint it afterwards with something reflective which closes the pores, Otherwise you have to do that thing again in 3 years
oil

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:What's the best way to clean ceramic/CPAC roof tiles here?
Is it high pressure water cleaner?

Don't do it Max, you'll end-up with water right throughout the house and a ruined ceiling too boot.
If you do clean the tiles, it's a start at the top and work your way down using a scrubbing brush....... I'd wait until the next monsoon. There are too many things that can go wrong with tiled roofs, the first being walking on them and cracking the tiles, the second, ask yourself if the steel will support your weight and the tiles at the same time. One foot wrong and you're through the roof, the ceiling and into hospital. Wait for the rain's Max, ignore the roof, fix everything else and mumble and mutter to yourself all day long about those bloody floors. :lol:

Good advice Roger, I think I'll cancel the plan.
I was going to get our caretaker to do it, he's half my weight.
But considering he's got zero experience up on a roof or using a pressure cleaner, it will open up a can of worms potentially.
Last thing I need is water on the ceiling, dripping down onto the remaining good laminate!!
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:26 pm

oil wrote:i think as well you ll get lots of water inside with a high pressure water cleaner ...
i would rather go for the Scrubbing ... but paint it afterwards with something reflective which closes the pores, Otherwise you have to do that thing again in 3 years

Scrubbing with a brush is good advice!
But I think I'll leave it for this trip.
The thought of him up there scrubbing by hand 300sqm of roof in 40C heat for 350 baht a day is inhumane.
Max&Bee-in-CM

boxes

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:42 pm

I asked a while back where to get boxes.
We checked at removalists, mostly it's 20-60 baht/box.
For those who may need the info, Watson's pharmacy can sell them for 2 baht/kg.
We got three trolleys like this for about 90 baht.
They are all different sizes which is perfect for what I need.

IMG_1270.JPG
Max&Bee-in-CM

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story