Easy, fast AAC block fasteners

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Easy, fast AAC block fasteners

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:16 pm

We have found that when you want to attach pipe clips direct to AAC blocks that there is no need for wall plugs or any kind of drilling. 50mm/2“ plasterboard (or drywall) screws will do the job. You need the coarse threads and the 50mm length, shorter ones can pull out, just drive them straight in.

image.jpg
50mm plasterboard screws

They are not easy to find but you can get them by mail order from
http://www.thaicarpenter.com then search for Drywall screws

This should work as a direct link
http://www.thaicarpenter.com/index.php? ... pid=287978

Also when putting upstainless steel netting to prevent beam to wall cracking a wide-crown staple gun with 13mm staples will speed up work a lot

Both of these will speed up getting the job done and will be about 3 to 5 times faster than most other methods.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Easy, fast AAC block fasteners

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Interesting Jerome. When you say 'drive them straight in', do you mean with a hammer or a screwdriver?
ajarnudon

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 pm

ajarnudon wrote:Interesting Jerome. When you say 'drive them straight in', do you mean with a hammer or a screwdriver?

Well if you use a Birmingham screwdriver :shock: you might snap the screws and they would easily pull back out so I used a regular screwdriver or my Festool drill
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:54 pm

I think the term drywall screws here is more akin to American stud wall building and not plasterboard.

I actually know those screws as "bugle headed chipboard screws" they come with every Ikea diy packs if you notice.I actually have a few but damned if I can remember where I found them (no I havent been to Ikea)

As for fixing to AAC block, for something simple like pipe brackets and the e.m.l mesh I have recently found that good old stainless 1 inch masonry nails are perfect (the thick ones from Global). The flat head on the nail pins the mesh down well, and it needs to, because that stuff has a life of it own and very difficult to lay flat.

Just another option if you dont have a stapler.
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:06 pm

eyecatcher wrote:I think the term drywall screws here is more akin to American stud wall building and not plasterboard.

I actually know those screws as "bugle headed chipboard screws" they come with every Ikea diy packs if you notice.I actually have a few but damned if I can remember where I found them (no I havent been to Ikea)

As for fixing to AAC block, for something simple like pipe brackets and the e.m.l mesh I have recently found that good old stainless 1 inch masonry nails are perfect (the thick ones from Global). The flat head on the nail pins the mesh down well, and it needs to, because that stuff has a life of it own and very difficult to lay flat.

Just another option if you dont have a stapler.

The term "drywall screws" is the name they go by on the Thaicarpenter website, they are very hard so a little brittle. I suspect the chipboard screws are a bit softer so less likely to snap if over driven. I have no idea if the plasterboard screws are the same or not.

As to the masonry nails a picture would be helpful, I don't remember seeing any stainless nails.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Yes, my mistake they are not stainless but Chromium and very light for concrete and masonry.

here are some I have 1 inch and 1.5 inch....boxes of 250 cheap as chips

thumbnail_IMG_25610227_221643.jpg
eyecatcher

Postby Klondyke » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:59 am

^Thais call the hard nails into concrete wall/plaster "concrete", whilst they call concrete structure "cement" or pun in Thai.
Klondyke

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Klondyke wrote:^Thais call the hard nails into concrete wall/plaster "concrete", whilst they call concrete structure "cement" or pun in Thai.

:lol: :lol: yes you are right, Thai logic in action.,,,but there are some Westerners here that call concrete "cement," and mortar "cement" also so its not all one sided.
remember folks cements is but one component only!

Given me an idea for an instore grilling about the nails being made of metal not concrete.

i often refer to these nails as "ta poo" but i may have misheard it years ago?
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:33 pm

eyecatcher wrote:Yes, my mistake they are not stainless but Chromium and very light for concrete and masonry.

here are some I have 1 inch and 1.5 inch....boxes of 250 cheap as chips

More likely to be zinc than chromium I think, I tried those into our garden wall as well as masonry nails from my nail gun, the wall was mostly the winner.

They are probably OK into cinder block and the longer ones will probably be OK into AAC blocks, but then any nail will go into AAC.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Stww.
Its not important I suppose but it does say Chromium Cr on the box; so I guess they must be...well Chromium :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby CJ-CTH » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Definitely not chrome, they would be really heavy and super expensive. Maybe 410 stainless, (12% Chrome).
CJ-CTH

Return to cement, concrete and mortar