Another Swimming Pool Build

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Another Swimming Pool Build

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
fredlk wrote:
garethp wrote:If you wish to see photos of this 3 million baht fiasco let me know

I am sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'm sure it's given you many sleepless nights.
I for one would be interested to see what has gone wrong and where because it might teach me a thing or two and give me some more to watch out for on my own build.

+1

+2
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
fredlk wrote:I am sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'm sure it's given you many sleepless nights.
I for one would be interested to see what has gone wrong and where because it might teach me a thing or two and give me some more to watch out for on my own build.

+1

+2

+3

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:19 pm

MGV12 wrote:BKKBILL wrote:
fredlk wrote:
I am sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'm sure it's given you many sleepless nights.

+1

+2

+3

+4
Roger Ramjet

Postby Steve&mem » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 am

Well I have been neglecting the thread and it’s time to sort it, so here we go.
Although the pool is now usable we still have a lot of work to landscape round it, so here’s a few pictures to update where we are.

IMAG0860.jpg

IMAG0864.jpg

IMAG0932.jpg

IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0945.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 am

The pump room gave me a bit of a headache and as I didn’t bring the pipes from the pool to the right place. But at the moment it seems to be working OK.
Still some more work to do in there.
We used zelbrite in the filter and the results are first class.

IMAG0949.jpg

We put in an in line sidekick as a temporary measure.
Its performing so good that I now intend to keep it and save myself the 60,000 baht the salt chlorinator would have cost.

IMAG0950.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby jazzman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:37 pm

The pump house installation looks quite good. If I'm not mistaken that's an Emaux FSF450SC combo. That's actually a good piece of kit although I've known SC Series pump shaft seals needing to be replaced after 7 years. Using Zelbrite of course will provide excellent results. The good old Sidekick is a solution that not many people seem to be aware of - I would have stood it firmly on the floor though. I can't see from the photo if you've plumbed it in on a bypass like the schematic here.
Attachments
SideKick installation.png
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 am

Would you mind enlightening me at least on what a Side-kick is, as from the post it suggests it is some sort of alternative to conventional systems.
Mike Judd

Postby Steve&mem » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 am

The pump combo is Emaux FSF650SC I got for 20,000 baht at one of the pool shops here in Udon after a lot of negotiating.

As for the side kick, it’s a pool sanitizer or a chlorine feeder, you fill it full of chlorine tablets and it slowly feeds that chlorine to the pool.
Here’s a picture of the inside.

IMAG0955.jpg

IMAG0958.jpg

As Jazzman stated that most people place them firmly on the floor, but I was not sure of my setup and the ability to drain the side kick as the pool water is 35cm above the pump room floor.
But using steel brackets it’s clamped to the wall.

IMAG0957.jpg

The setup of the side kick is the same as in Jazzman’s Diagram; it gives complete control of the flow and also the ability to isolate it without having to shut down the system.
When I want to open it I just turn off the power and as I open the top the water drains away, I then leave it for a few minutes for the fumes to dissipate.
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 am

I should have said the I put 1kg of 90% strength chlorine tablets in the side kick about once every 2 weeks, the local pool shop has been selling me the chlorine for 130 baht per KG.
It holds a lot more than that though I could probably get about 2KG in there.
Steve&mem

Postby jazzman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:13 pm

I've seen the FSF650SC on sale near Udon for Baht 17,500.00 - excluding filter media. Zelbrite retails at about Baht 960.00 per bag, maybe less. If you're getting chlor tabs for Baht 130 /Kg you're getting a very good deal. Other chemicals such as algaecides and clarifiers tend to be a tad over priced in Udon city at around baht 1,800 or more for a gallon (US) bottle. The sales people in one (outwardly) up-market pool shop in Udon don't know the difference between pH Plus and pH Minus - there's professionalism for you! That said, when you need a 5 Kg bucket of them, you shouldn't be paying more than around Baht 350 - 420 for them. You're lucky to be in Udon, AFAIK pool product prices in Khon Kaen are way OTT.

The SideKick is an excellent solution for dosing chlor tabs. Depending where they are on sale however, prices range from Baht 2,600 to a rediculous 6,000. There is a cheap Chinese copy on sale in some builder supermarkets, but the ABS plastic goes yellow and brittle after a while.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby olavhome » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 am

How is Your pool doing now?
Still using the Side Kick or has it been replaced by clorinator ?
How about the cleaning/maintainance?
About the pipe work, what dimension is used ?
I understand that many recommend doing the plumbing in the bottom of the pool, not in the sides.
Why so ? (Can understand that the main drain has to be at the bottom and deepest part :-) )

<Unfortunately he hasn't looked in for a few months. You could try a PM. - mod>
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:22 pm

There are a lot of very logical reasons why most medium sized domestic pools have return jets in the walls and not in the floor. The pool Constructor's Book (horrendous price at about $250) even says so. Most pool constructors won't tell you though. They will insist on floor jets because it's a far more costly and complicated system and they make more money out of it.
jazzman

Postby Breizh29 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 pm

My beginner question that inquires: What needs to be as special equipment for an infinity pool like this, pump, sensors, check valve, solenoid, other ...? :oops:
Breizh29

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 pm

jazzman

Postby Breizh29 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:02 am

jazzman wrote:Best thing to go is start reading from http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=645
Bonjour jazzman, from a Farang living in Isan, French and I think you experience my country! Yes of course you are right and I have already read on your post. This one is very interesting with lots of tips. And for a small inground pool in concrete casting (in my case 10m * 4.5m * 1.3m) there are all the desirable advice. But it does not respond to my questions about the specifics of a infinity pool like this post ...
Breizh29

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool