Louvred Windows

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby thaifly » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:30 pm

jazzman wrote:- an' whaddabout me with not even a 7-Eleven closer than 40 km :cry:

ThaiFly, your window looks very similar to mine, but I too am interested in your louvre mechanism. Perhaps you would have time to make some close ups and post them...
gidday to the great jazzman and grant.....its the thaifly from mae rim...no worries the great jazzman will do in due course...jazzman remember u gave me the info on the windows and prices on one of your postings.. i put the info under my wings and at the same time got a very good oil on a supplier in my district and BANG CRASH WALLOP..... WE BARELY GOT UNDER YOUR PRICES but in doing that i thought at the time that was a job extremely well done and my shelia knows i swear by you... so we took our supplier on and the rest is history a very good job done......and grant keep dearching for a supplier there got be one in your neck of the woods ITS A HURRY OF A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Re: Louvred Windows

Postby grant » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:27 pm

A company in Malaysia makes these for export. They are sending me a brochure along with pricing details. I'll be taking this pic along with those supplied by Jazzman and Thaifly to search the island for something similar.
Attachments
Aluminium_Adjustable_Louvre.jpg
grant

Postby jazzman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 pm

They look nice and substantial. I guess the push-rod system is hidden behind the support - nice. It will certainly be interesting to know the price.
These are mine. They are much stronger than the cheapo ones you see in the wooden window frames in the Thai houses - notice the solid aluminium box section and the thick connecting bar. If you look very closely you may just be able to make out the clip system for the glass blades.
Louvre window - Jazzman house. Kitchen.
Louvres.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 pm

gidday to the great jazzman..and grant....its the thaifly from mae rim...took pics of louvers to morning...will post tomorrow if i get into townto do so ...... called into see our window supplier...as helpful as ever..quoted a price of ....2500..BAHT A SQ METER. BOX AND DICE...FLY SCREENS INCLUDED....DO MY BEST FOR U GUYS TOMORROW... ITS A LOUVER GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:03 am

gidday to the great jazzman and grant...its the thaifly from mae rim ...here are the pics ...take note jazzman..the workshop is literally on the main road...its a picture of a gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim
Attachments
DSC01590.JPG
DSC01589.JPG
DSC01588.JPG
DSC01587.JPG
DSC01586.JPG
DSC01585.JPG
DSC01584.JPG
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:06 am

gidday a few more its the thaifly from mae rim
Attachments
DSC01595.JPG
DSC01594.JPG
DSC01593.JPG
DSC01592.JPG
DSC01591.JPG
thaifly

Postby grant » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:52 am

Many thanks for the addtional pics Thaifly and Jazzman. They are extremely useful. I stopped by one shop yesterday and explained what I was looking for. They brought out the typical cheap, flimsy, aluminum louvres and when I explained further they managed to find in the back of their warehouse some old steel louvres that are far more robust and much better quality. They guy in the shop said they had been in the shop for about 10 years but had no orders for them for a very long time as they are more expensive than the cheap aluminum type. He said he would have to call Bangkok for the price. I will keep looking and post prices and pics.

Thaifly, are your louvres aluminum or steel? It's hard to tell from the pics but they certainly look like good quality.
grant

Postby jazzman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:29 pm

A great, informative posting THAIFLY (you're beating me at my own game :wink: ). Yes, those mechanisms certaily look robust, seems they have the hidden geraing too.

Grant,
Did you get the info from Malaysia yet?

CMX
If he had those things in stock for 10 years, he would have a cheek to sell them at today's prices 8)
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 am

gidday...grant...its the thaifly from mae rim....the louvers are made of good quality steel ...while maybe not A BO DEREK.. but would nt kick it out of bed either???...its a steel...gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby grant » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:31 pm

I received a quotation from the company in Malaysia for the louvres in the picture. The quote is based on 45 pairs of louvres. Each pair is 45" in height and accommodates eight 6" glass blades:

LPI - AP6 Aluminium Adjustable Louvres in Natural Anodised Finish
-8 Blades D/C = USD 9.00 per set.

The cost for shipping to Phuket is estimated to be about 6,000 baht. I'm not sure what VAT & duty would be but I suspect about 20%.
Attachments
Aluminium_Adjustable_Louvre.jpg
Aluminum Louvre
grant

purchasing in Malaysia

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 pm

You could get in touch with member thomas.fontaine - he is based in KL, maybe he could package some up and send them to you.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:19 pm

I received a quotation from the company in Malaysia for the louvres in the picture. The quote is based on 45 pairs of louvres. Each pair is 45" in height and accommodates eight 6" glass blades:
What happened with the local guy with the good quality steel ones. It would be a shame to have to import something so basic!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:36 pm

I have to travel to KL at the end of next month and will visit the factory where they are made. The quality has to justify the additional cost of importing them.
grant

Postby dozer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm not sure what VAT & duty would be but I suspect about 20%.
VAT is a fixed 7%. As far as duty, their is a standard book of harmonized codes that they will place you product category under. Then they assign the associated percentage, most like just 3% = 10% total
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Baht Man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 am

I found some great louvered windows here in Udon either at Home Hub or Do home.
No crank, but instead a latch (with a hole for your finger) UPVC, conpletly seals betewwn the glass pieces.
I love'um but not applicable in my build. (Maybe the Ms. has something to do with that).

A totally redesigned window, and unlike the brown alum. crap I have in the house I'm renting while I build.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Previous

Return to windows and doors