New here, looking for advice about building in the LOS

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

New here, looking for advice about building in the LOS

Postby WillThai » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:22 am

Hi everyone

I've been reading build stories and discussions on CTH for a few weeks now and will surely have questions for some of the members here.

Short introduction, I'm French, my wife is Thai. We live in Singapore but always thinking that we'll move back to Thailand one day. My wife is from Sukhothai and we've been looking at houses around her hometown. Houses built by her rlatives and friends mostly. I'm not that experienced with builds, having only done renos. I know and have done electricity, some plumbing, woodwork, cellings, drywalls, some custom kitchen and wardrobes back in France but I don't have experience with structural works.

Most of the houses I've seen in Thailand lokked sub-standard to me. I can see that some of you got very nice builds and were able to achieve good quality with thai builders. I hope I can learn enough to get our project started the right way.

Talking about projects, my wife has a small land in Sukhothai (around 2 ngaan) but we might buy a larger one. Long term, my dream would be to have also a nice holiday villa near the sea, if budget allows. No timelines yet, we are still looking at possibilities.

That's all for the intro, I'll surely follow with some questions on my topics of interests.

Will
WillThai

Re: New here, looking for advice about building in the LOS

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:49 pm

WillThai wrote:Most of the houses I've seen in Thailand lokked sub-standard to me. I can see that some of you got very nice builds and were able to achieve good quality with thai builders. I hope I can learn enough to get our project started the right way.

You hit the nail oh the head there, most buildings in Thailand are substandard because they make mistakes and then cover the mistake with another mistake.
To get anything decent you have to be there all the time and check, check and double check. If the builder says he knows a better way, you tell him it has to be done as per the plans or not at all: it just means he knows a quick fix that will not last or else he doesn't know how to read the plan and you'll have to show him.
You must be on site every day and building from afar is always a disaster. Don't employ relatives.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Roger Ramjet

Postby WillThai » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks for the advice, I start to get an idea by reading the stories on CTH...

My wife is going to Thailand quite often but I'm stuck with work in Singapore at the moment so that's going to be the main challenge.
WillThai

Postby Ians » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:57 pm

I had what you could say was a competent builder, but you have to check every point every day - and be one step ahead to see potential problems before they start.
Ians

Return to Introduce Yourself