Price in USD?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Price in USD?

Postby fredwiggy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:00 am

Just looking for a little feedback on total price for a house in Sisaket province. I'd like to have a 3 bedroom,kitchen,and living room,with air conditioning and running water.American style bathroom and shower,plus an outbuilding of perhaps 20x20 for storage. I would probably have around $40,000 to work with or so. I could reduce this to a 2 bedroom and be ok. Wife has property so that isn't an issue. Thai and american style preferred but flexible .
fredwiggy

Re: Price in USD?

Postby Shastadad » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:12 am

At today's exchange rate $40,00 USD equals 1,428,000.00 THB but I will let those with more experience comment on whether or not this is a realistic amount for what you are wanting, I don't think it is, but I live and built in Ban Amphur, a high cost area

BB.png
BB.png (25.12 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Shastadad

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:07 pm

fredwiggy wrote:Just looking for a little feedback on total price for a house in Sisaket province. I'd like to have a 3 bedroom,kitchen,and living room,with air conditioning and running water.American style bathroom and shower,plus an outbuilding of perhaps 20x20 for storage. I would probably have around $40,000 to work with or so. I could reduce this to a 2 bedroom and be ok. Wife has property so that isn't an issue. Thai and american style preferred but flexible .

The problem with giving any realistic prices are that you haven't given any where enough information.

Just take a look at the link in my signature for grandmum's house, 1 bed and 1 shower room ฿350,000 so yours can be done at an extremely basic level for that price. But I would not like to live in that house myself.

Then take a look at any of the houses here with a good standard and you will understand that your price is way too low for a reasonable standard.

FWIW my foundations posts and roof (no walls, doors, windows, electrics, water or fittings) are costing more than your entire budget.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredwiggy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:54 am

Yes, I understand more info is needed. I have seen some pretty nice houses for 2 Million Baht, so I was basing my question on that. I thought I would need about that amount for a decent house, so I'm planning on staying here for about 1 1/2 more years so my house will increase in value a little more so I can have more capital to work with. I could get by with one less bedroom also.
fredwiggy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:11 am

fredwiggy wrote:Yes, I understand more info is needed. I have seen some pretty nice houses for 2 Million Baht, so I was basing my question on that. I thought I would need about that amount for a decent house, so I'm planning on staying here for about 1 1/2 more years so my house will increase in value a little more so I can have more capital to work with. I could get by with one less bedroom also.

If the houses you've seen will suit you then buy one. (Nothing I've seen would suit me that's why I'm getting custom design.)
If you are happy with Thai standard then you will be able to get something that looks pretty for the money you want to spend.
If you can be the site supervisor and get a labor only team you can build Thai quality for that price.

What is "decent"?
Where is "here"?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Shastadad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:27 am

If you are even looking at 2 Million Baht houses you still have to come up with another $15,796.79 USD at today's exchange rate

staying here for about 1 1/2 more years

Do you really think that your house valuation is going to go up that much in the next year and a half ?

Housing graph.png
Housing graph.png (15.61 KiB) Viewed 557 times

source: http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Nort ... ce-History

Your introductory post says you live in the US so the trend is against you, unless you currently live in a booming housing market,

Today the THB is 35.91, what will it be in one and a half years ?

When I started my build the rate was 30.35 can it go back down ? , sure it can , so you are having to bet twice; that your US house value will go up and that the dollar will not go down significantly

I am not trying to rain on your parade but finances are a major part of building in Thailand and after lousy workmanship, and disappearing builders ranks as the third most problematic aspect of building here

If you are really serious about this I would start buying Thai Baht while the exchange rate is in your favor
Shastadad

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:50 pm

First off, you need to forget everything you are used to in the USA concerning real estate. Nothing similar exists here in Thailand; there is a very small market for second-hand houses, and if there is, it's generally only among expats, and then only in the areas of very high expat population. In fact, probably the majority of expats have built their houses in remote villages where their Thai wives come from, and in such locations there is practically no chance of selling such a house again when the marriage goes pear-shaped.

Your best bet is to read the building stories CTH members have posted over the years, particularly mine (link in my signature). I built my house myself here and went on to register a construction company and built about 20 - 30 houses before I retired.

If I were to build a house like mine today as a turn-key solution for a client within a 150 Km radius of my office, I would want about 1.5 million for it. Again, you'll need to take your time and read up on other CTH members' stories to see how much you can save by doing it yourself with your own directly hired labour.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby fredwiggy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:04 pm

I really appreciate the feedback. I now live in Texas,right next to San Antonio, and my town is really growing. We are just a few miles from San Antonio and out in the country so to speak, so my house will always be in the market for those that don't want to live in the city but near. It will increase in value,maybe not much,but some. By a decent house I mean a sound one,with insulation and sturdy construction. I would probably be there for the whole project, as we could live with relatives for the project duration or rent. It seems there are a few builders in the area so I could feel them out to see how they are. My wifes relatives are out in the country near Cambodia, and the building would be on their (her) property which is rice and cassava fields.
fredwiggy

Postby fredwiggy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Checked out your pics Jazzman. A house like yours would suit me just fine! I would love to have a contractor that I could trust to do exactly what yours did. This will be my last house, so I would love to have it built correctly. So many things going into building a house, especially in Thailand where picking out the right contractor is a lot harder it seems than here in the states. I will certainly use this site and your posts when I talk to a contractor when I decide to build in Sisaket. I have a lot of household things I want to bring there that would work (with convertors) so I would have a furnished house when it was ready. These I will ship there in advance. Mishark, I will be building not far from where you are
fredwiggy

Postby pipoz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 am

fredwiggy wrote:Checked out your pics Jazzman. A house like yours would suit me just fine! I would love to have a contractor that I could trust to do exactly what yours did. This will be my last house, so I would love to have it built correctly. So many things going into building a house, especially in Thailand where picking out the right contractor is a lot harder it seems than here in the states. I will certainly use this site and your posts when I talk to a contractor when I decide to build in Sisaket. I have a lot of household things I want to bring there that would work (with convertors) so I would have a furnished house when it was ready. These I will ship there in advance. Mishark, I will be building not far from where you are

Suggest that you look at the Build by "Sezze" - under Your Build Story, its probably one off the most sensible and practicable builds on the forum

pipoz
pipoz

Return to material prices & building costs