Raised house in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Raised house in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Postby pipoz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:14 pm

PS

Here is my Electrical Schematic Diagram Layout, which may be of use

pipoz
Attachments
Electrical Schematic Diagram Layout DWG-3012.pdf
Electrical Schematic Diagram Layout DWG-3012
(173.22 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:38 pm

If you will need 3 phase will depend on the maximum single phase supply you can get.

We have just had a discussion with the PEA and the sizes they can supply in our area are 5/15, 15/45, and 30/90

If you can get the 30A meter you're easily OK but if the biggest is the 15A then you could be borderline or maybe OK. You need to do a proper load calculation. And work out how many of your items will be on at any one time. FWIW Your water pump will probably be the biggest load.

We are going with a 30A as it will easily cover our needs, even my baby compressor will be okay with a 3kw table saw and air conditioning at the same time
Sometimewoodworker

Postby somsip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:44 pm

pipoz wrote:Kitchen, looks nice, can I ask where you bought it from

pipoz

It's from the Starmark range, purchased and fitted through HomePro. Very pleased with the fitting so far, and they're on site doing the extractor, hob, sink and oven right now. That was about 243k, including the electrical stuff.

http://www.starmark.co.th/

And I'm still waiting to see the builder to talk about the windows for you. I will get back to you on that.
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:47 pm

pipoz wrote:I have single phase and run,

4 No x Air Conditioners ( 3 No x MIT MSY-GK13VA 12103.73BTU Super Inverter & 1 No x MIT MSY-GK09VA 8656.93 BTU Super Inverter)
5 No x Ceiling Fans (Mr Ken DC Motors)
2 No x Mitshubishi Bathroom Exhaust Fans
1 No x Hot Water Boiler Tank - Stiebel Eltron EHS50 WH 50L
1 No Shower Water Heater - Stiebel IJ 45E WH-BK 4500W
1No x FujikaFCP-250 250W Constant Pump

32 GPOs
72 No x Internal Light Fitting
20 No x External Verandah Lights
5 No x External Columns Lights
4 No LED (Large Garden Flood Lights)

1 No Fridge Freezer

All run off a Schneider 18 Way Square D Panel Board - SDCS118 (with various Breaker sizes )

The breaker panel is all fitted and fused, and I think it's a Schneider to, though not sure what model. Looks modern compared to what I'm used to in the rented house... And overall we're probably using a similar amount of stuff as you, with a few differences. So are you on single phase 15 amp (45 load) or are you using 30 amp (100 load)?

But we're now sorted. The friendly technician came out yesterday and checked it over and declared that single phase, 15 amp (45 load) would be fine. It's being connected on Saturday. Easy when you know the right people :-)
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:We have just had a discussion with the PEA and the sizes they can supply in our area are 5/15, 15/45, and 30/90

If you can get the 30A meter you're easily OK but if the biggest is the 15A then you could be borderline or maybe OK. You need to do a proper load calculation. And work out how many of your items will be on at any one time. FWIW Your water pump will probably be the biggest load.

We are going with a 30A as it will easily cover our needs, even my baby compressor will be okay with a 3kw table saw and air conditioning at the same time

Same sort of supplies available to us to. But a school at the end of the road probably has 3 phase, so there is the option for that if we really feel the need to. We have now got a proper quote on that and it was going to be 34k to run the cables, nothing like the 100k/100m that I had read about elsewhere.

That said, with the opinions of the electrician (who wired the house), the aircon fitter, the electricity office technician (friendly one) and the builder (who says he's built bigger and never used 3 phase except in apartments), I'm not feeling a strong drive towards 3 phase. It sounds like it has benefits, but I'm happy to go with single phase for now. And it's the same with every recommendation coming in to use 15 (45), I'm okay going with that. But 30 (100) would give us lots of overhead should we need it, so I shall sit down with Pipoz's guide and play with some numbers and reassure myself we're not too close to the limit of what 15 (45) will give us.
Last edited by somsip on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:02 pm

pipoz wrote:PS

pipoz

Cheers - I think we're past this stage now and will look at doign a load calculation and see what it looks like.
somsip

Postby pipoz » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:08 pm

somsip wrote:
pipoz wrote:PS

pipoz

Cheers - I think we're past this stage now and will look at doing a load calculation and see what it looks like.

I am pretty sure that I am on single phase 15 amp (45 load), i.e. 15/45

pipoz
pipoz

Postby somsip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:23 pm

pipoz wrote:I am pretty sure that I am on single phase 15 amp (45 load), i.e. 15/45
pipoz

Aha - reassuring! Thanks for that :-)

I'll play more with some numbers and see if I can find anything that suggests we might be cutting it too fine with 15(45).
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:07 am

Things have been going mostly well over the last week or so, though we have hit one stumbling point.

Our project manager and fixer had arranged for the friendly technician from the electricity office to come and connect us to the mains with single phase. Turns out he wasn't senior to the angry technician who still wants us to have 3 phase, so it didn't happen and we're essentially back at square one on this. And we have two options. If we just go with 3 phase, it'll cost 34k for the cables and 16k for connection, and we'll have to have some form of distribution board in the storage room downstairs with the incoming cable routed to there, then we'll have to rerun cables from there to the fusebox which we can either reuse (with the 3 phases each covering a number of circuits) or it might need to be replaced by something else. Or we get single phase which will be a lesser amount and will require no changes to the existing wiring, but that the angry technician is reluctant to do. We suspect that the angry technician is just after a better sale, hence quoting the more expensive option. But we have to accept there might be a good reason why he is sticking by his guns. And it seems that good reasons for requiring 3 phase include where providing a higher load on single phase might be at deteriment to existing single phase supplies. There is a chance that this is a real thing and he's not doing it for other reasons.

So my wife called the techician at the next amphoe over, and had a friendly chat. And he was friendly and informative, whereas angry local technician has been totalling unwilling to explain anything expect how he is right and superior and we should just take his advice. Which makes him look suspect, in my opinion. Anyway, the friendly chat just reinforced what we'd learned already - single phase is fine for resendential but we might want to consider the next level (30/100) if there is no nearby 3 phase supply, though there is no real reason to insist on 3 phase otherwise.

For now we're back in the hands of our fixer. She has another contact at the electricity office in town. I'm not sure what we might get out of this, but if nothing comes of it, we're intending to tell her to go back to the local office, speak to angry technician's boss and ask him how much he wants in his pocket to get a single phase connection done. It's disappointing. but if it's the way it needs to be done, so be it.

On the plus side, the parquet floor is now all done and waiting to be sanded. Overall, it looks fine to me with just a few bits where a bit of filling is needed, and after a week it's settled and needs about 2mm sanding off throughout to make it smooth, which is what they said they were going to do anyway. However, a securing nail has been knocked out at some point and taken a big, deep chip out of one of the pieces of parquet and it won't sand out. The builder knows about it so we'll see what they come up with to fix that.

The smartwood up the stairs and on the balconies has all been fixed in place with cementitious glue (!) and looks about right. There is one stair at the back where they've gone to trim it and messed it up completely so that might need to be redone, but it doesn't seem like a problem. It all feels flat, and though some sealant is needed around the railings and at the bottom of the front door where I can see that water is gathering, it should tidy up nicely.

This week we're getting the final coat of paint inside, and inside the windows, doors and door frames will also get rubbed down and stained. Then there's the bathrooms to finish, locks on the doors and windows, and the sanding and sealing of the parquet. Outside, the sewage system and water supply has now been finalised, and tidying up has started. So the temporary huts where they stored material and sleeping builders have gone, a lot of accumulated building waste has been cleared, and the soil is being dug over and moved around to level it off a bit.

Other than that, the smartwood will get painted, the outside will get another couple of coats of paint, and there are some odds and ends to be finished off. And we need to be out of the rented house we're in now in 2 weeks. Weather looks to be in our favour, but I suspect we will be very tight for time.

20151223_170708.jpg
Smartwood stairs at the back

20151223_170727.jpg
Back balcony

20151223_171105.jpg
Parquet in the hall

20151224_111937.jpg
Parquet in the living room

20151224_112007.jpg
Parquet. Parquet everywhere!
somsip

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:37 pm

I've just had a conversation with the PEA as our temporary meter was installed 30(100)A .

The largest meter available from our local PEA is a 30(100)A cost for meter is baht 12,800
A 15(45)A meter costs baht 4,600 electricity cost is the same for both.

Cable size for a 30A is a minimum of 25mm copper and in aluminium 35mm. The PEA supervisor said that if you use double insulated cable (the same kind that they use) that 16mm is acceptable.

Aluminium cable must be overhead, copper can be used overheard buried or clipped to a wall. If buried or clipped to a wall it must be in conduit

However pipoz was only offered 15(45)A probably because of load balancing.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby somsip » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I've just had a conversation with the PEA as our temporary meter was installed 30(100)A

Thanks for the info, but our electric requirements ended up taking a slightly different turn, as related in the main update...
somsip

Postby somsip » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:44 am

Everything is progressing, but as most of the work has been on the parquet and window locks, there's not too much that is visible. But what is visible is going very nicely :)

So the Hafele window fittings arrived and mostly have been fitted fine. A slight mishap caused one hole to be drilled straight through the frame, and one handle was put on the hinge side so had to be moved, but by and large it's gone okay. The only other fix was that as the mortise bolts were meant for doors, the recessed receiver needed a draw of about 18mm. But as the windows are only about 20mm between panels, this was going to leave them weak. End result is that the recessed bit that receives the bolts have been popped off with a pair of mole grips so we've just got the metal receiver plate and a 8mm hole drilled into the window frame behind them. Not sure if it shows in the photos, but they look neat and secure enough.

The parquet floor has been sanded and filled and sanded and cleaned and finished with 3 coats of polyeurothane and looks great. There are minor marks here and there, but I didn't realistically expect a mirror finish. So happy with this too.

However the electric has continued to present problems. We went to meet the manager of the local office with our fixer and after much discussion he agreed to come to the property to have a look. End result is that we don't need the additional pole the unhappy engineer wanted us to install (saved about 12k) and the cable can be run from the meter to the house underground. The builder has the spec and has ordered the required cable. However, the manager stuck by the engineer's recommendation for 3 phase, and after lots of questioning and discussion, we've decided to go with it. And as I have seen strong recommendations on here in favour of 3 phase (and probably an equal number of "it's not worth it" posts) I don't have a problem with it. We've paid 21k to have the 3 phase cables run from the closest existing point of supply up to the house, which is just over 400m. That price has been checked out by the friendly engineer and okayed. That was paid on Friday and we're hoping for fitting tomorrow. Then we have to pay 16k for the meter and connection which will take a few more days. This will give the builder time to swap the fusebox for something that will distribute the 3 phase supply to the different circuits in the house (1 for aircon, 1 for shower heaters and oven, 1 for sockets and lights) and pull wires through form the entry point to the new fusebox.

And that will probably be what keeps us from moving in. When we left today, the builder was screwing bathroom fittings to walls and connecting showers and taps, the carpenters were finishing the door and window locks, and other than that we only have final painting and cleaning. If the electric goes well, we could be in next weekend, but chances are it will be soon after that. End result is we'll be in 10 months from starting, which was the original plan even though at times it looked like we'd be in quicker. But that's just how it's been.

The owners of the house we're in have said nothing at all to us. We're not paying rent of 6,500 a month against a deposit of 18k which is just under 3 months. Today is the end of month 2, so really we're doing nothing wrong by staying for another 3 weeks or so. The garden has had the final tidy, and we might start shifting some stuff into the store room at the house so they'll soon see that we're nearly gone. Hopefully they'll stay off our backs until we can just give them the keys, get in the car, and be gone!

Soon...

20160107_174625.jpg
Front door

20160109_175757.jpg
River has calmed down nicely

20160113_121226.jpg
Paint has been touched up outside

20160113_122101.jpg
Window handles and mortise bolts

20160114_174545.jpg
All handles and locks on one window

20160118_130842.jpg
Finished parquet

20160118_130252.jpg
I'm happy with that :)
somsip

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:38 pm

I'd sure be much more than happy with that..

Stunning house...absolutely..

Congrats, sure you'll enjoy moving in finally.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby pipoz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:36 pm

That timber floor and timber door/window work look very nice together

Well done

pipoz
pipoz

Postby somsip » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:00 pm

schuimpge wrote:I'd sure be much more than happy with that..

Stunning house...absolutely..

Congrats, sure you'll enjoy moving in finally.

Many thanks Luc - much appreciated :-)
somsip

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story