1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Bangyai wrote:Solved the problem of the crack along the kitchen ceiling with this 2" plastic coving from Homepro at 139 baht per 2 meter length. Not going to do it all just yet though until the rainy season ends and the house has settled a bit more.

Excellent, though it looks like you have stocked up for an earthquake at the same time. :wink:

just a technicality for your building terminology.

What you have there is "cornice". cornice is a convexed moulding of a far higher snob rating than "coving" which is the cheaper concaved profile.

I dont even have the luxury of cove yet and come from the North of England so you can really look down on me :(
eyecatcher

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Good to see you were able to to find coving in the land of smiles. Your place is looking good. When you have time here is a Youtube video for easy installation. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZE9kpTxX0
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Bangyai » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks for the comments BKKBill and eyecather.

Ok....so I changed my mind and decided to stick up the ' cornice ' ... ( thanks for the insight eyecatcher ) since with all the heavy rain outside work has been impossible.

I watched the video link Bill provided with envy. How nice to be able to buy exactly what you want and the tools to do the job as well. However , although I managed to get the cheap cornice I had to do without all the correct tools. Not so bad though as I have stuck up coving plenty of times in the U.K. And have my own system that works nicely in Thailand where nothing is dead straight or true. My method is to cut the inner corners as best I can freehand then to use filler to fill any gaps if things don't meet exactly. The finished job turned out o.k. And nicely covered the ceiling crack. Just hope all the settling is done with
wall movement has stopped. So...... the finished job can be seen in the pictures, with two lengths of cornice left for somewhrr else.
Attachments
WP_20151014_005.jpg
WP_20151014_006.jpg
WP_20151014_001.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Marlon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Nice work, it gives a finished look to the place.
Marlon

Postby Bangyai » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 pm

Marlon wrote:Nice work, it gives a finished look to the place.

Hi again Marlon. Yes....it worked out ok with the ugly crack nicely hidden by the cornice . Was pretty cheap too and very lightweight.

Also had a visit from eyecatchers favorite critters to deal with last week ....termites.

Luckily it was not too bad since with the house being raised I have easy access underneath. Once I spotted the nest I crawled underneath with my garden fork and prized the upper part loose from the ground. Then pulled it out from under the house and after breaking it up disposed of the chunks a long way from the house. That was enough hot work for one day.
Next day crawled under the house again. The survivors of day on had worked hard overnight and already repaired the damaged roof to the underground part of the nest. Didn't do them much good though as I smashed that all in with a 15 inch bit of scrap rebar then poured in a watering cans worth of poisen. Also poured this around the surrounding area of the nest.
Problem sorted .....termites terminated . Not seen any since but will continue to monitor.
Attachments
WP_20151024_001.jpg
WP_20151024_007.jpg
WP_20151024_014.jpg
Bangyai

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Is this for real? Bangers you have only been in the house 10 minutes and you lay claim to have the biggest termites nest ever to set up home under a concrete house.
Thats impressive but frightening.

It may be a good time to delve deep and set on a pest control team. For around 7k a year you should be able to get the sub floor irrigated with termite chemical and a once a month 30 minute surface spray to the environs of your property.

As regards my favourite critters; well i am more educated about them in so far as my pest controller have prioratised my timber boundary fence for two years but already all my fence lighting cables are swinging loose and i have already written the fence off and no doubt will be rebuilt.....in chapter 8 of my story. :)
eyecatcher

Postby Bangyai » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Impressive yes. But most impressive were the termites. The first day I noticed them I immediately attacked and knocked the top right hand corner off the nest and poured in some weak poison ( you can just notice this in the first picture by the slight colour change )

The next morning when I was really tooled up for extermination they had already repaired the damage and enlarged at the same time ! I should have contracted them to build the house based on such hard work.

Anyways......no need for professional pest control yet. I have good access and have already been treating the underside of the house to more poison. Hate to involve more Thai ' professionals ' since as you know yourself through your trials and tribulations, sometimes they talk the talk but cannot deliver.

Now the hard work has been done I will try to do as much as I can myself rather than suffer any more disappointments .

Anyways....keeps me from getting bored. Next project is to build my first ever wattle fence around Gops vegetable patch using chopped down growth from jungle on sisters plot. Pictures to follow when I get around to it.u
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, my 80 old mother in law and Gop finaly got around to chopping down all the undergrowth on the adjacent plot again.

I supervised and drank the beer.
Attachments
DSC03137.JPG
DSC03134.JPG
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Rather than waste the wood I decided to try my hand at a bit of wattling to fence of Gops growing vegetable patch. Kept me off the street corner for a couple of days.
Attachments
DSC03136.JPG
DSC03139.JPG
DSC03152.JPG
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:05 pm

And if you ever have to build a house for other family members using the wattle and daub method ...... here is something I knocked up yesterday. If you are no good at napping then I guess it's ok to use power tools.......oh ....and a lighter :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKkHqlx9dE
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Well after a lot of nagging and badgering Gop finally prevailed upon me to put up a 6 meter picket fence between our land and the sisters. Easy enough when its in wood as others I've made have been back in the UK but this was in concrete and steel and involved a lot of relatively heavy work. The posts were made specially at 1.75 meters and are not set in concrete but are dug in and well tamped down. Used a strip of dexion to make up the mounting brackets for the steel crossbeams. Fence is Shera .... 1 meter high at 43 baht a piece. Total cost about 2000 baht for the 6 meters and it took me a week to do just working an hour or so in the evenings.

Getting there slowly.
Attachments
DSC03165.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 pm

I have spent the last three days of glorious cold weather out in the garden. First up was cutting the grass in the back garden as short as possible ......... With just a pair of shears !! ( must get a grass cutter )

Next up was repairing all the wattle fences and making two compost heaps.
Attachments
WP_20160125_005.jpg
WP_20160125_002.jpg
WP_20160126_007.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 pm

At the end of the day....for a little pleasure......I thought it would be a wheeze to try and make a bow and arrow with the wattling wood which was suitably flexible for the purpose.

Well...no soon thought than done. I could feel the genes of my ancestors taking pleasure at the task and Crecy and Agincourt seemed so familier. After crafting a primitive arrow my first shot was only a 10 yard affair but after a bit of whittling and adding some feathers to the arrow my next shot cleared the sister in laws garden wall and was surprisingly straight ! That was a 25 yard shot ......arrow straight. Excuse pun. On retrieving the arrow I shot it back across both gardens aiming for the garden chair.

Unfortunately ..... it was a perfect shot and my hefty arrow not only hit the chair but went straight through it ! If the chair had been human it would now be with the angels. Unfortunately Ms bangyai was not amused at the damage a gave me a reaming out that would have made Henry the V blush.

So no more archery using furniture for targets but I was pretty chuffed at this humble feat and intend to see if I can make something capable of fifty yards.
Attachments
WP_20160126_003.jpg
Bangyai

Postby KevinUK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Just registered to this site but been reading for quite some time and wanted to say thanks for posting all this its been a fun and educational reading. :D

I have taken some notes from here that I will incorporate into my build and one thing for sure I have realised is the need to site manage or have a competent site manager around at all times

Thanks
Kev
KevinUK

Postby Bangyai » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for posting Kev and good luck with your own build. If you have the time read as many threads as you can on this site and you will not only learn a lot but head off a lot of problems before they arise. I read as much as I could beforehand but still had problems all along that I might have prevented with more diligence. It's been about 6 months since the builders left and we now see that the worst mistake our builder made was shortening the house by 1 meter causing the loss of a second bedroom for the mother in law to use from time to time.
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story