Our house build, Lampang

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Our house build, Lampang

Postby JAFO » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 am

Sorry this is a bit in the past tense but I started a build thread blog but stopped posting to it.

"The missus and I started our house build on 8/4/14. We flew over for the traditional monk blessing as we have been in the US as we are working on her US citizenship..

Some history up to the 8/4 start date. Going back to 4/2014, we bought 2 neighboring lots that both had small houses on them. One a very old teak home the other an old Thai style block home probably made by neighbors and friends. We tore down the one old teak house on the one and cleared the lot. There wasn't any salvageable teak wood, its was simply too far gone. The occupants hadn't lived in it for years as they had moved to BKK and it sat. The other lot with the old brick house the previous owners moved after we bought it and headed to Tak to live with their children. We purchased both well established lots for a very fair price considering we live in a city area. The missus made a quick flight back and got all the Chanotes transferred into her name and squared away. Interestingly our home is at the end of a small soi and the additional land we purchased were on both sides of the soi, the government just gave us the section of the soi. So we ended up with a 100 ft long paved road.

Moving forward we kept the brick home in place as this will be where my FIL will reside while the primary big teak wood home that was built some 80+ years ago will be carefully torn down and the lots all cleared and prepped for the house. He will live with us going forward. My BIL, SIL and niece drove up from Ayutthaya to our build up north to move FIL out of the big house into the small brick house. I would like to say I feel very fortunate to have an extremely nice and supportive family. My BIL, took 2 weeks vacation from his job to go help. He said he needed it anyway so I am glad I gave him an excuse. They got FIL moved and comfortably set up and the work of prep had begun.

So breaking most of the "Golden Rules" as most have stated many forums we are not going to be there for the build at all. However my FIL is a retired civil engineer and worked abroad in his early years for other companies building industrial buildings so he is a great resource. He later returned back to TL to work for the Thai govt in the civil sector for roads. So our FIL will be "Our" foreman to oversee the General contractor. With that said we did a lot of research and found a very good professional contractor. He has an established business and a set crew. More on that later but I am extremely comfortable.

One thing for sure, I am not going to pick the builder apart and am not going to get spun up about little things on this build. My wife is tenacious and probably far more critical than I am. So I will let her manage that part. Here in the US our tooth pick built homes are built and you never see how anything is Fab'd. You just buy it and assume that all is built to some standard by the illegals they bring in from Mexico that swing nail guns around like wild west shoot outs.

As in traditional building most of us do in Thailand we re did(added) the brick wall around our newly formed land. My FIL still has some close friends and they did it themselves with help from his few old work colleagues that are retired. I have to say they did an awesome job and the wall looks great. It was a ton of work. They sunk pillars, had cement trucks come in, did the brick and finished it up. Cost was about 125,000 baht for a wall that surrounds just under just under 3 rai. There is a section we will finish after the house is done so that will add to the wall cost.
JAFO

Re: Our house build, Lampang

Postby JAFO » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:54 am

The finished house.

We used all the Teak from the original house for all the internal crown modeling, front doors, rails and entry way cover.

We opted for a stilted home for a host of reasons. We built the Sala into the front part of the house so it over looks the front yard and our garden area. All the teak was again taken from the original house and sent to a teak craftsman to be custom made

Back side of the house. The guest bedroom is to the right and my FIL room is to the left.

This is a pic of the underneath area. We park our truck underneath. There is a laundry room and a full mud mans bathroom. You say Mans? Well it has a urinal.

My FIL's bathroom. we kept everything simple and functional.
JAFO

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:31 pm

Well I will ask the question then on behalf of everyone...........

.....IS THAT IT ? :roll:

I almost feel like padding it out myself for you.

Seriously, the house is lovely but if thats your first and last post it was a mega anti climax
eyecatcher

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:17 am

Eyecatcher,
My apologies.
I have hundreds of in process build pictures starting from tear down of the old Teak house we did to the finished product. I wasn't sure how much detail to post and the interest. I just found the site by accident looking for something else and read through many posts and there was so many that were similar build processes I wasn't sure my additions would assist. I figured if someone had a question I would be glad to answer it.

I will post up a few more various pictures and more detail this evening.

Btw Thanks for the kind words on the house. My wife and I enjoyed the designing process. It went through many iterations and lots of "back and forths" until we had it how we wanted it. Once sketches were put to paper and done professionally it became reality. How build took 8.5 months start to finish.

The general contractor was extremely professional as was the crew.
JAFO

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:55 am

I will go backwards from the Finished product showed in my OP

A few pictures of the original 80 year old Teak home that had gone through numerous renovations. Originally in sat on full teak stilts etc. Over the years as more modern materials became available they were introduced while keeping the body of the house in tact. It was in remarkably good shape and our original thoght was to renovate it back to a full Teak house but it was cost prohibitive. So down it came

The demolition process.
JAFO

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:59 am

More pics

We segregated all the teakwood into categories of what could be used for internal trim, doors etc. The rest was to be used as needed for other things. It was very nice touch to take all the original Teakwood and fuse it into our new home.
JAFO

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:01 am

After all torn down and cleaned up we had some clean fill brought in and the General contractor and I marked out the location for the pillars. The brick house in the picture was one of the pieces of property we bought and my FIL lived in it until the house was done. we also used it to store materials. It will be torn down when house is done.
JAFO

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:13 am

Skipping ahead being most have all seen pictures of the cement pouring of pillars etc, we did a conventional red brick house. I had gone through the Q Con thermal assessment and evaluation and in the end the cost was not worth it and quite honestly our house was stilted with very long overhangs so the walls will not be saturated by the sun. Plus we have solar roof fans and a efficient attic. The contractor said he could do it either way.
JAFO

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:15 am

Like all new builds, the contractor laid the termite tubing array and the sheet to be used under the cement.
JAFO

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:17 am

We chose to use a product called SuperTruss manufactured in Australia. This was much nicer, required minimal welding and big plus it was galvanized coated.

After the brick was all done and rendering complete next up came the painting. Our house was designed with over sized windows everywhere. They are all dual pane, Polyurethane framed.
JAFO

Stairs with Pebble tech

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 pm

The missus and I opted for a "Pebble Tech" type product on the stairs to avoid any potential slips should it get wet. Even the textured tile has the potential. The Teak railing was material used from the old house and refinished.
JAFO

Teakwood from old house

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:52 pm

In conjunction with the house build, we located a Teak craftsman up near our home. He and his wife do some really nice work.

They showed up and took 4 loads of Teakwood back to their place to begin making our door jams, double front door, the doors for the TV room, doors for the house through out, recessed ceiling trim. etc

They did a fantastic job taking the wood and refinishing it. We had enough to do almost everything we wanted. We only had to buy some for the upstairs Sala detailing and rails.

Doors for bathroom and bedrooms and on left is the sliding doors for the TV room.

The double doors turned out very nice with the accents and jams next to it.
JAFO

Few night time photos

Postby JAFO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 pm

We installed LED lights through out the house (some bright white, other soft white) as can be seen in the pictures. We also installed solar LED motion sensor lights out by the entry gate.

We also have ceiling fans through out the house and in every room. Missus and I prefer them over AC. We have a nice daily breeze in morning and evening.
JAFO

Postby Bangyai » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Stunning house JAFO.

Great choice of colors and materials. Very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Just as well you are not a ' fan ' of air conditioning though as those big rooms would need a very large unit to keep cool. I guess in the north it can be a little cooler so you can get away with it. Where we are we do need the air con at night.

Did you install much insulation in your attic space ?
Bangyai

Postby JAFO » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks Bangyai,

Yes we used the Green roll out insulation with the Foil to deflect heat. The roof also has solar poered attic vents. The house stays very cool. One thing about our house we have a very nice breeze in the morning and afternoon so opening up the windows lets a very pleasant breeze blow through the house.
JAFO

Next

Return to Your Building Story