Rough Estimate Build Cost

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Rough Estimate Build Cost

Postby wjdw » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi, been following CTH for numerous years, holding off any such commitment, However now taking the tumble in the south.

Architect is drawing up the plans as we speak, and i expect it to be fully detailed (50 pages or so - i had one plan off him already but did not go with the design) anyway, he lists avg build costs and awaiting on this based on his calculations but ill be honest he likely gets some form of a kickback so i am looking on the wealth of other home builders to guide me here.

The Layout (Excluding the parameter wall)

Design

(Excluding Kitchen But layout)

Oblivously these are just designs / plans we "knicked" from a development in Pataya on what we are looking for, and now await our architect to convert that to full blown plans.

Im convfused on a few points they say (forums reading others) build costs 6-15/20k per SQM what does this mean .
What am i looking at in B terms for that to be built as a shell awaiting furnishings (inc kitchen) etc - also note there is a swimming pool something we will want to put in later but ive read i can build these for cost at 100-300k by myself rather than a 1mb with a developer?

Thanks
wjdw

Re: Rough Estimate Build Cost

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:17 am

wjdw wrote:
Im convfused on a few points they say (forums reading others) build costs 6-15/20k per SQM what does this mean .
What am i looking at in B terms for that to be built as a shell awaiting furnishings (inc kitchen) etc - also note there is a swimming pool something we will want to put in later but ive read i can build these for cost at 100-300k by myself rather than a 1mb with a developer?

Thanks

What you get for the per SQM price will depend on how you decide to build, but if you are being quoted one for the house it is usually the per SQM cost to move in and live.

As a guide for your house ฿6000 per SQM might get you an unfinished shell with no windows or doors probably even if you get a labor only build.
฿20,000 if you build it yourself would get you a finished building with good quality fittings, windows and doors. But the same ฿20,000 paid to a building company would get a much lower level of eithe structure or windows, doors and fittings. This is because the company is looking to get at least ฿5,000 to ฿10,000 per SQM profit.

As to the swimming pool some people have successfully built one themselves others have had an expensive leaky hole in the ground that got filled with earth later.

A guide to what ฿6,300 per SQM will buy is in my grand mums house build, labor only price plus we bought materials.

FWIW if you get really good quality windows and doors you are already looking at ฿2,000,000 just for them in that design.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby OskarL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:26 am

I would say the whole house, without the pool, could be done in less than 2.000.000 baht with a construction company. Depending on where it is.
Would that be concrete roof with some sort of insulation on top?
Even bigger windows are not that expensive if you choose one layer glass with tint. You can get a quote from a window company on that.

Good luck.
OskarL

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:35 pm

OskarL wrote:I would say the whole house, without the pool, could be done in less than 2.000.000 baht with a construction company. Depending on where it is.
Would that be concrete roof with some sort of insulation on top?
Even bigger windows are not that expensive if you choose one layer glass with tint. You can get a quote from a window company on that.

Good luck.

In your dreams, IMNSHO 2.000.000 baht might get you a bare shell with that design.

If you're building a standard Thai design then 2.000.000 baht could get you a finished house if it's small.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:48 pm

If you take out all the furnishings, I can see nothing too complex about the house. If I can build a two storied 240 sq mtr plus basic house for 1.3 million and supply all the material, you should be able to build the house for around 2.5 using superblock and single glazed windows and a Colorbond roof, it will depend on how greedy the builder is and what you want to put in it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:49 pm

50 drawings - that's more than they had for the Sydney Opera house, it's overkill in the extreme. I would suggest maybe 15 absolute maximum should be more than sufficient for a good builder.

I would gives serious thought to the flat roof concept - 2 wet sessions and all the vertical faces will be stained black plus the likelyhood of leaks into the house - flat concrete areas are never flat and nowhere near level in Thailand - have look at a few car parks or other "flat" concrete areas - usually a problem waiting to happen.

For a professional and skilled builder you probably need to work on Bht 15000 / 20000 per sqm depending on the quality you specify. Go cheap and that's what you will get. Visit a few completed and in progress jobs, this will give you a good indicater of the quality being built and the control, care, and supervision of the construction.
You need to sleep at night - not worry about every detail -although saying that, on my build I had an excellent builder - but even then most days I would come across a problem - but we could talk about it and could always resolve the problem peacefully.
Ians

Postby Cheeryble » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Funny enough a friend recently completed a 128sqm house same size as yours exactly.
Pretty standard design not expensively finished but no shack by any means, aluminium windows, tile and cupboard door type kitchen but a CPAC roof and solidly built with more electrics than most Thai builds.

Labour plus providing materials total cost 8000/sqm.

This is a very good deal with a known builder......unlikely you can get the same but shows what's possible.
Cheeryble

Return to material prices & building costs