Air Con

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Air Con

Postby condee » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:10 am

Hi,
me and my thai wife we build a small house in a small isaan village.
Right now we are on the way to have to buy Air Con. We have 2 Bedroom each is 3,50x4 mtr. What i have to know about Air Con?

Regards
Condee
condee

Re: Air Con

Postby Klondyke » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:12 pm

condee wrote:Hi,
We have 2 Bedroom each is 3,50x4 mtr. What i have to know about Air Con?
Regards
Condee

Most important (from my point of view) is always the level of the noise, if you can first test it - that is, however, a problem in the shops where always is very noisy. The best to get the knowledge from friends who are using that brand.

And you should not listen to the shop keepers, they will advise you rather stronger units. 9,000 BTU should be enough for your room size. Also the location of the outdoor unit (compressor) should be placed so that the noise will not enter the room. The connection between the two units (indoor - outdoor) should be as short as possible.
Klondyke

Postby Ians » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Re oversizing the a/c unit, don't be mislead by shop keepers, they usually know SFA about sizing a/c units. When it comes to a/c bigger is not better.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:55 pm

Right now we are on the way to have to buy Air Con. We have 2 Bedroom each is 3,50x4 mtr. What i have to know about Air Con?

Just in case you haven't left yet I'll tell you why Thai sellers of air conditioners oversize the unit. It's because the walls are built of red brick and have no insulation in the ceiling or roof and that makes the unit work overtime and under stress the whole time. If the house has been built for a Thai, to Thai standards, then it's best to get the next size up.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Klondyke wrote:
We have 2 Bedroom each is 3,50x4 mtr. What i have to know about Air Con?
Regards
Condee

Most important (from my point of view) is always the level of the noise, if you can first test it - that is, however, a problem in the shops where always is very noisy. The best to get the knowledge from friends who are using that brand.

And you should not listen to the shop keepers, they will advise you rather stronger units. 9,000 BTU should be enough for your room size. Also the location of the outdoor unit (compressor) should be placed so that the noise will not enter the room. The connection between the two units (indoor - outdoor) should be as short as possible.

I agree completely on the size, our bedroom is about the same size as yours and if there were a size less than 9,000 BTU We would have got it.

9,000 BTU Is easily big enough, we have no insulation apart from thin bats that fit on top of the ceiling tiles, standard concrete block walls, and standard aluminium sliding windows.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Regards
Condee

Agree with Sometimewoodworker, 9,000 BTU Is easily big enough.

I have a 9000 BTU in a 3.7m x 4.0m bedroom with a 3.1 m high ceiling and it cools the room with ease. I wouldn't go bigger

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:52 am

Just a quick update on air conditioners. Last night the air conditioner in our room stopped working. This morning the techs came out to do a six month service and find out what was wrong. The sequential starter on the air conditioner had fried. I'll post a photo later. All the services were free, the starter cost 200 baht and was replaced straight away from their stock in their truck.
It pays to buy from a decent mum and pop store who install and distribute the stuff. If I had bought from HomePro or another major outlet I'd be put in a great queue and still be waiting for service.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:31 pm

As promised:
Attachments
P1091972.jpg
Roger Ramjet

Postby Shastadad » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:03 am

I agree completely with Roger better to pay more and get good service than save a few baht

I got a good price for 4 units and one was problematic and the dealer just couldn't fix the problem so I spent money on having the real Daikin service come and look at the unit and they fixed it for free but I still had to pay for the call

I then found out that the reason I got such a good deal was because the dealer unloaded last years model on me, new, but still old stock. So be careful and they can be tricky about installation. They will quote you one price and then increase it by saying that we had to run a longer line or some other such ruse
Shastadad

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:50 am

Shastadad wrote:I then found out that the reason I got such a good deal was because the dealer unloaded last years model on me, new, but still old stock

When the mum and pop shop came out and measured for the three air cons they also bought the latest Mitsubishi book along with two other brands. I was told then that Mitsubishi were bringing out a new booklet in a few weeks and could we wait, which we did. When the new booklet arrived the air conditioners were not even up on their website and it took a week to find the three different models we wanted/needed to compare prices.
The price the mum and pop shop quoted us was about the same as the "super discounters" so we picked them. Their service is excellent, their technicians all trained and they carry a large range of spares on their truck. Not like the other brands we had, where the mother board went and took weeks to be replaced and then it lasted out the warranty period and went again, and then again. I will never "do the right thing" again and buy a Thai brand air conditioner, even if it is a couple of thousand baht cheaper and they claim can be installed straight away. The Thai brand was Amena and was hopeless and expensive to run.
Roger Ramjet

Return to cooling systems