Chance Remark leads to New Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Mai Mii » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:10 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I would think getting two other quotes by local builders using your plan would or could put your mind at rest. They should know what is required for footings etc.


Keeping everyone honest at a build start just makes sense.


Sound advice Bill.
Mai Mii
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Mai Mii » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 am

I have created a monster. I have unleashed a sleeping beast.

I am a broken man :D

More to follow.
Mai Mii
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Mai Mii » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:24 am

After reading RR's epic, ongoing saga and currently reading eyecatchers build. I feel for you guys and you have my sympathy.

I have identified a common pattern in both threads. Cunning plan in the making.

Time for a chuckle.

Team BoB stayed over for 2 nights. They are off to build a house about 2 hours away and we wont see them for a while. Food and drink all round. Almost daily I have walked past a plot of land that is for sale. It has been on sale for over 3 years. I have even paced it out to measure it .5 of a Rai. Team BoB were duly dispatched to go and phone the owner and arrange a meeting. 2 hours later Team BoB and the owner met at the land. 198 Talang Wah, my measurements were pretty good. Price B 4m. :lol: :lol:

Next chuckle.

I found a toilet by Kohler for B 280,000. At a 26% reduction it is an absolute bargain :shock:

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/ ... e-p1036602

Please do not all rush out at the same time to snap up this bargain of the Century, they will quickly catch on and quickly ramp up the price.

Seriously ? B 280.000 for a crapper.
Mai Mii
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby pipoz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:50 am

Yes the Kohler, American Standards and Cotto ranges of sanitary ware are severely overpriced in Thailand

I looked at the Moya and Mogen ranges in Hompero and found a wide range of excellent crappers from TB 3,590 up to TB 7,490. I settled on the Mogen MO 12 style, with the semi-mid height cistern for TB 6,990. The same or similar crapper in Australia was over twice the price of that in Thailand, must be the government taxes

The Homepro Direct Shopping site, has all the pictures and setting out dimension diagrams, very easy to negotiate you way through the site

Also found that Mogen had a wide range of nice looking Tapware and other Bathroom-Toilet fittings and accessories

pipoz
Attachments
00 TB 6,990 MOGEN MO12 3-6L 39Hx71.5Wx71.5D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 205921 - 02.jpg
00 TB 6,990 MOGEN MO12 3-6L 39Hx71.5Wx71.5D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 205921 - 02
00 TB 6,990 MOGEN MO12 3-6L 39Hx71.5Wx71.5D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 205921 - 01.jpg
00 TB 6,990 MOGEN MO12 3-6L 39Hx71.5Wx71.5D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 205921 - 01
00 TB 6,990 MOGEN MO12 3-6L 39Hx71.5Wx71.5D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 205921 - 01.jpg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 471 times
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:03 pm

pipoz wrote:
The Homepro Direct Shopping site, has all the pictures and setting out dimension diagrams, very easy to negotiate you way through the site

pipoz


Did you find the drawings on the homepro website?
I've been looking and can't see the dimensioned drawing there.

Do you have magic fingertips?
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby pipoz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
pipoz wrote:
The Homepro Direct Shopping site, has all the pictures and setting out dimension diagrams, very easy to negotiate you way through the site

pipoz


Did you find the drawings on the homepro website?
I've been looking and can't see the dimensioned drawing there.

Do you have magic fingertips?


Yes when I went into the Homepro Direct Shopping site (six months back), a few models on the site (but not all ) had two pictures/photos, with one was the dimension drawing. Here are a couple more that I downloaded

pipoz
Attachments
01 TB 7,490 American Standard TF-2530-WT-0 3-4-4.2L 36Wx71Hx71.5D - 1018121 - 02.jpg
01 TB 7,490 American Standard TF-2530-WT-0 3-4-4.2L 36Wx71Hx71.5D - 1018121 - 02
000 TB 7,790 MOGEN MO9 4-6L 33Hx78Wx70D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 226809 - 02.jpg
000 TB 7,790 MOGEN MO9 4-6L 33Hx78Wx70D Ceramic, Dual Flush, Floor Type, One Piece - 226809 - 02
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:38 pm

I did my bog research a couple of month ago and went around the sanitaryware displays of all the usual suspects. For presentation and choice I think Home Sukapan was streets ahead. Generally 100/200bt more expensive than Global but they will discount down with no problem.

Of course how many of you doing your bog research actually sat on them.....in the store?... :shock: .no need to drop the pants but to get an idea of the seat shape, the height. all seats are so different. try it and see the reactions :lol: :lol:

I have 2 moyas at home, they look quite good but one thing i want to avoid with a new bog is a sloping.....(hhahaha, what do they call it?) anyway the inside of the pan, the back side, the one that is going to take the "hit" :(

So my first criteria is to look for one with an almost vertical back.you need to guage the "drop" and by contrast some have what i call a catcher shelf. now if they are under water great but if not; it can involve extra bum gunning.

You also need to look at the overall length and whether it will fit your bathroom. some are 600mm front to back, the one I want is nearer 750 so I am being very careful where to position it and how far to extend the shower wall.
I was also a stickler for checking out the seat and lid fixings. You dont want the cheapy screw thread and a bit of plastic that rusts up in a week or you cannot tighten after a month of your backside sliding around on it.

In the end after a lot of searching for something with style, simpicity, nothing fancy except a self closing seat my choice is a Nahm cosmopolitan....and the hand basin in the same range at 600 wide and 500 deep is a great basin to get those elbows.
in.

if theres ever a time to treat yourself and break the budget; then imo its your bog budget. Finally your chance to give your bum some comfort. :D
eyecatcher
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Shastadad » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 am

Things started to swing in my favour when I explained the long term benefits of building our own place, rather than renting. When I explained what an Usufruct was and how it could be used, what had been an emphatic NO, was quickly becoming a good idea.


Other than the cryptic reference to LHG (which I take to mean long haired girl), similar a euphemism used by another poster, SWMBO, ( she who must be obeyed ) you don't mention your status regarding LHG

For those who don't like to face reality here in Thailand a usufruct between husband and wife is not valid. The civil law on marriage and the division of property (50/50) supersedes any contract made between husband and wife after the marriage. Before the marriage they can agree to anything that they want but once married the rules change dramatically. And a usufruct is legal contract that only has your death as the termination date instead of a fixed amount of years like a normal lease (30 years being the legal maximum)

Hopefully your status is that of being unmarried , otherwise, I would be interested in exactly what you told LHG about a usufruct that changed the NO to a good idea
Shastadad
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Mai Mii » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:49 am

Shastadad,

LHG stands for Long Haired General. My pet name for her. Sadly, knowing me for 6 years and living with me for 4 has caused her to lose all her hair :cry: :cry: BE ( Bald Eagle ) did not have the same ring to it, so I continue to call her the LHG :D

Your interest in my usufruct explanation to the LHG you can put to bed. I / We are not married.

Most legal contracts terminate on the death of the individual concerned, which suits me down to the ground, or more importantly the trip to the local Wat's burning pit.

You can sleep easy knowing my bases are covered :wink:
Mai Mii
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Mai Mii » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:01 am

eyecatcher,

Of course how many of you doing your bog research actually sat on them.....in the store?... :shock: .no need to drop the pants but to get an idea of the seat shape, the height. all seats are so different. try it and see the reactions :lol: :lol:


So true. A toilet is a toilet, it collects waste and transports it away ( Hopefully, if installed correctly ) It is the seat that turns it into an object that makes you want to park your butt and read the paper.

by contrast some have what i call a catcher shelf


:lol: :lol:

I came across this type of toilet in Germany a long time ago. Being the nosey individual that I am. I just could not contain myself, and had to go and seek an explanation for these weird and wonderful shelves that I had just discovered.

The explanation that I was given was that the Germans ate a lot of pork dishes that were, what we Brits would call, raw or undercooked. As a result, apparently the Germans were prone to getting worms. So the catcher shelves were actually inspection shelves.

If there are any German readers, I would be grateful if they could either deny or confirm this explanation.
Mai Mii
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Mai Mii » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:12 am

Pipoz,

Yes the Kohler, American Standards and Cotto ranges of sanitary ware are severely overpriced in Thailand


I think you just might have missed my sense of humour :wink:

At B 280,000 for a crapper, even with a 26% discount, I would be expecting.... No, I cannot go there.

It reminds me of a very old Milk Tray advert.

This handsome man, crosses a desert on foot, climbs a mountain, dives off a cliff into shark infested waters and then swims to a yacht, which rocks gently in super blue waters, to deliver a box of chocolates to a beautiful woman.

Now, It might just be me, but after all that he went through, he better have done more than deliver a box of chocolates :D
Mai Mii
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:55 pm

Shastadad wrote:
Things started to swing in my favour when I explained the long term benefits of building our own place, rather than renting. When I explained what an Usufruct was and how it could be used, what had been an emphatic NO, was quickly becoming a good idea.


Other than the cryptic reference to LHG (which I take to mean long haired girl), similar a euphemism used by another poster, SWMBO, ( she who must be obeyed ) you don't mention your status regarding LHG

For those who don't like to face reality here in Thailand a usufruct between husband and wife is not valid. The civil law on marriage and the division of property (50/50) supersedes any contract made between husband and wife after the marriage. Before the marriage they can agree to anything that they want but once married the rules change dramatically. And a usufruct is legal contract that only has your death as the termination date instead of a fixed amount of years like a normal lease (30 years being the legal maximum)

Hopefully your status is that of being unmarried , otherwise, I would be interested in exactly what you told LHG about a usufruct that changed the NO to a good idea


Sorry you are giving incorrect information.

Married people can legally arrange an Usufruct and the fact of the marriage doesn't invalidate the the Usufruct. Also divorce does not terminate the Usufruct.

An Usufruct can be for any period that is wanted, though for mixed couples it is often for the life of the beneficiary.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Like most things in The land of smiles :? there are always a minimum of two points of view, and of course a workaround.

Here is a good example from
.
http://www.thailawonline.com/en/propert ... ments.html

6) It is possible to cancel or void a Usufruct Agreement?

If you are NOT married to the owner granting you the Usufruct, we believe it is not possible to cancel a Usufruct and you are legally protected.

If you are legally married to the owner, Thai Lawyers disagree on the application of article 1469 CCCT. This article mentions that all agreements made between spouses can be cancelled by the Court at the request of one party, unless agreements affect third parties. According to one interpretation, “publicity” or registration affect third parties and a Usufruct can’t be cancelled. According to the other interpretation, we have to search for the spirit of the law and it looks like Thai law wanted to end all relations between spouses in case of divorce, even Usufruct Agreements. A way to avoid the application of 1469 CCCT would be to have a second agreement (like a lease) affecting a third party before the Court could cancel your Usufruct Agreement.

** Addition: Following this remark, we had a lot of emails and we saw many things written on Internet. We are not saying that it's easy to void a Usufruct. Opposite, it will be very difficult, especially if your contract is well written. Any registered agreement, like a lease or Usufruct, will have to go to Court in order to be cancelled and that will take time. A good law firm should be able to find ways to protect you, and if you are worried by this possibility, do consult professionals.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Mai Mii wrote:eyecatcher,

Of course how many of you doing your bog research actually sat on them.....in the store?... :shock: .no need to drop the pants but to get an idea of the seat shape, the height. all seats are so different. try it and see the reactions :lol: :lol:


So true. A toilet is a toilet, it collects waste and transports it away ( Hopefully, if installed correctly ) It is the seat that turns it into an object that makes you want to park your butt and read the paper.

by contrast some have what i call a catcher shelf


:lol: :lol:

I came across this type of toilet in Germany a long time ago. Being the nosey individual that I am. I just could not contain myself, and had to go and seek an explanation for these weird and wonderful shelves that I had just discovered.

The explanation that I was given was that the Germans ate a lot of pork dishes that were, what we Brits would call, raw or undercooked. As a result, apparently the Germans were prone to getting worms. So the catcher shelves were actually inspection shelves.

If there are any German readers, I would be grateful if they could either deny or confirm this explanation.


If you think that is not the nicest idea you shouldn't ever come to Japan and use a Japanese style toilet. I think that it may be that in the past Japanese people wanted to study the result, they do feel that things come out more easily, I will try to get more information.
And never even think of using one in a public park or local station unless you have either a bad cold or no sense of smell.

The traditional Japanese toilets could be the reason for them developing the high tech, heated, washing, drying, self
flushing, auto opening, auto closing, deodorising, music playing, illuminated, toilet. BTW I have used a toilet with all of those functions. :roll:

image.jpg
Traditional Japanese toilet (it must be in a private house as there is toilet paper)
image.jpg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 375 times


image.jpg
How to use Traditional Japanese toilet
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Chance Remark leads to New Build

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:25 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Like most things in The land of smiles :? there are always a minimum of two points of view, and of course a workaround.

Here is a good example from
.
http://www.thailawonline.com/en/propert ... ments.html

6) It is possible to cancel or void a Usufruct Agreement?

If you are NOT married to the owner granting you the Usufruct, we believe it is not possible to cancel a Usufruct and you are legally protected.

If you are legally married to the owner, Thai Lawyers disagree on the application of article 1469 CCCT. This article mentions that all agreements made between spouses can be cancelled by the Court at the request of one party, unless agreements affect third parties. According to one interpretation, “publicity” or registration affect third parties and a Usufruct can’t be cancelled. According to the other interpretation, we have to search for the spirit of the law and it looks like Thai law wanted to end all relations between spouses in case of divorce, even Usufruct Agreements. A way to avoid the application of 1469 CCCT would be to have a second agreement (like a lease) affecting a third party before the Court could cancel your Usufruct Agreement.

** Addition: Following this remark, we had a lot of emails and we saw many things written on Internet. We are not saying that it's easy to void a Usufruct. Opposite, it will be very difficult, especially if your contract is well written. Any registered agreement, like a lease or Usufruct, will have to go to Court in order to be cancelled and that will take time. A good law firm should be able to find ways to protect you, and if you are worried by this possibility, do consult professionals.



There is also the case that the Usufructery can grant a lease to the land that is binding on the owner and that lease, if it still has time to its end is not terminated by either the death of the Usufructery or (if the Usufruct has been properly drawn up) the ending if the Usufruct itself.

So this is another possible method of security.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest