North Phuket House Refurbishment.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

North Phuket House Refurbishment.

Postby linrong » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi everyone, we are just going through the process of purchasing this house and have a few questions.

We bought for location, and the house it's self is very sound, and roughly 5 years old, alas the house has also stood empty for roughly 5 years so has grown over with vegitatin in some areas.

I have quiet a few questions if you would not mind answering of-course. The house is for friends/family when they visit for their privacy and also ours down the road.

Layout Image

As you can see many problems cosmetically. The property is a shell, it also appears we will need to re-do the entire electronics if anyone can give any advice, costings, and even someone in Phuket reputed to be professional at such a role..

We will start off with the exterior.

Is it possible to expand on an existing wall?, it appears sturdy enough, looking at ideally another 1/2 or to double - or is it a case of knocking down and rebuilding with may cause issues with the neighbours.... - Bare in mind the front is also effected, ripping those white wood boards out and filling with brick work and rendering.

Also note the large tree, ideally we want this gone, any rough estimates on costs? or even a company that offers such services?

/////

Internally we have some issues also.

I am not sure whether this is a retaining wall, any tell tale signs i should look for, or can i go about knocking it down? - It appears to be brick and is rather thin....

Also note in the background you see the kitchen back door, this wall id also like to knock out and fit french doors.

/////

Now we come to what can only be described as the most depressing bathroom/toilet set up i have ever seen...
Smaller Room

Larger and both

Ideally id like to make the left room (one with the bath) larger by opening it up in to the bedroom, once again not sure on whether any walls are load bearing as they are thin.... any pointers as to what are load bearing here would be great, normally they are fat walls...
////

In the bedrooms there appears windows on the base like this, horrid things, i'd like to take them out / fill them with brick/glass any companies around phuket that can do this in a jiffy??

Ah the electricity issue i mentioned earlier....
linrong

Re: North Phuket House Refurbishment.

Postby linrong » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Phase 2

In Phase 2 we want to make it "Liveable" so it can be used by friends who visit during the high season.

We have gone for spacious feel as it is rather small (140sqm, building 100SQM)

Luckily we have most of the windows in place, and it really is just the concerning areas mentioned above.

Now for us we like modern/chic/rustic feels and after spending a fortune on our new home in Laguna we are trying to tighten the belt for this property.

We came across "Cement Polished" look and actually love it, its different, its unique and its quiet cool.

Is there a rough price per SQM for this ? also can it be laid over existing tiles or would we be best to rip them up? then there is the question can it be laid over existing walls....
any particular requirements? Setup? etc

Examples we are wanting to implement in our own fashion.

Floor
Walls
Furniture

In regards to the furniture, do you build with brick then render or make solely out of cement and then polish?
Kitchen (Note the wooden beam) - if the wall is a structural wall mentioned in the first post, how best to implement a similar post ?
Bedrooms (inc Bed)
Bathroom (inc Bath and walls)
Lounge (sofa including concrete sofa)

Naturally we will dress up the prison grey (polished cement) look with white and wood etc fitted in with stainless and glass.
linrong

Postby pipoz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:04 pm

That's a nice looking Kitchen, Living Room and Bathroom Design

pipoz
pipoz

Postby linrong » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Naturally the designs are not the end product, they are nice i agree, but we are looking more at the materials, hence my questioning.
linrong

Postby pipoz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:02 pm

linrong wrote:Naturally the designs are not the end product, they are nice i agree, but we are looking more at the materials, hence my questioning.

If you are planning to follow the Concept and have a lot of stone in the rooms, particularly in the smaller Bathroom - Bedroom areas, yes buy all means you may wish to brighten it up and change the colour from a grey, which can be quite bland at the end of the day, if used too much in one room

In a similar Concept to your Kitchen Bench, you might also wish to look at these other colour concepts, (pictures attached for Bathrooms/Vanities), if you like more White (for life in the Living areas) and a more unusual/bold colour/styles

I have looked around and found that there is a broad range of colours of granite and marble stones available in Thailand, ranging from TB 2,800 to TB 4,000 per m2. Attached are a few pictures of Granite on display up the road from me. I used the White with Red Granite for my Door Thresholds, at TB 3200 per m2

pipoz
Attachments
0 White with Red  Granite -  Door Thresholds.JPG
0 White with Red Granite - Door Thresholds
0 Black Green (Small).JPG
0 Black Green (Small)
0 Californian Yellow (S).JPG
0 Californian Yellow (S)
Vanity Style 2 -  Black White Design 005.jpg
Vanity Style 2 - Black White Design 005
Vanity Style 1 White Granite - 02.jpg
Vanity Style 1 White Granite - 02
pipoz

Postby linrong » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:23 pm

pipoz wrote:
linrong wrote:Naturally the designs are not the end product, they are nice i agree, but we are looking more at the materials, hence my questioning.

If you are planning to follow the Concept and have a lot of stone in the rooms, particularly in the smaller Bathroom - Bedroom areas, yes buy all means you may wish to brighten it up and change the colour from a grey, which can be quite bland at the end of the day, if used too much in one room

In a similar Concept to your Kitchen Bench, you might also wish to look at these other colour concepts, (pictures attached for Bathrooms/Vanities), if you like more White (for life in the Living areas) and a more unusual/bold colour/styles

I have looked around and found that there is a broad range of colours of granite and marble stones available in Thailand, ranging from TB 2,800 to TB 4,000 per m2. Attached are a few pictures of Granite on display up the road from me. I used the White with Red Granite for my Door Thresholds, at TB 3200 per m2

pipoz

Looks amazing, however the wife is set on the Concrete Polished effect mixed with white paint and stainless and wood...

Also as we will not be living there, as it is a additional property solely sought for the purpose of friends/family on their visits the boredom side will ultimately not affect us/them.

In regards to my original questioning, has anyone else ever gone down this route (Concrete Polished, Pricing per SQM, also ref to the construction of baths/tables/counters/chairs are these blocked then rendered or solely built out of cement...

thanks again !
linrong

Postby fab99 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Just my 2 cents but a lot of your decisions of remodeling depend on it, in my opinion there is absolutely no load bearing wall in this building, you can pretty much break all the walls and openings you want, just keep the columns, these are the one that connect the roof to the foundations, and they are the structure of the building.

Load bearing walls in Thailand are quite rare, almost every building I have seen built here (and on various other forum and real life) use a grid of columns (usually about 4x4m) and the walls are usually quite thin depending on the materials used (red bricks, cinderblocks or superblocks single layer about 10cm with the render).

On your pictures we can clearly see the columns in the corners of some rooms, they are probably 20 or 25cm large, so the wall are about 10cm, no way they are load bearing.

A lot of words just to say that you can do pretty much anything you want with new openings (just build concrete lintels around though) and wall destruction.
If you want to build new walls though, it could be problematic as the foundations under the the house follow the existing walls, but it is quite safe to say that you could build a superblock wall anyway, it is quite lightweight and assuming you have a 10cm concrete slab, it should support the wall nicely (but don't take my word for it, I am not a structural engineer, but I have done so in my house and 2 years on, no trouble, no cracks).

Looks like a very interesting project and I like your design inspirations, I will be following this build for sure.
Good luck (but you've been through a project already, so it should be OK).
fab99

Return to Your Building Story