1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 1 Bedroom bungalow in Petchabun

Postby Bangyai » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm

schuimpge wrote:Cheaper than I pay here local... Lol.. What's the next free spot on the calendar..

Unfortunately my supervisor ( wife ) has me fully booked up for the foreseeable future :(

If it weren't for the minge benefits I'd quit and look for alternative employment.
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Bangyai wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Cheaper than I pay here local... Lol.. What's the next free spot on the calendar..

Unfortunately my supervisor ( wife ) has me fully booked up for the foreseeable future :(

If it weren't for the minge benefits I'd quit and look for alternative employment.

minge benefits :roll: :wink: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A bit of a Freudian slip?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Yes Stw ........ a Freudian slit . :wink:

So......this morning after yesterdays work I was faced with just a little to do.
Attachments
WP_20150826_003.jpg
Last edited by Bangyai on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:09 pm

And when I broke for lunch I had finished :)

Not too bad a job for a first effort. Definitely on a par with Ken ..... not much of a boast but I think there is a future for me as a cowboy kitchen maker.
Attachments
WP_20150826_005.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:16 pm

As a recap I would say the wall part was very good. The top shelf work good , the rendering ( with wrong left over cement ) pretty awful and finally the tiling ......... could be better but nobody will ever see it so a good practice wall for a beginner.

The photo below shows that at least I managed to follow my plumb line from start to finish which Ken admits he failed to do....to his embarresment .

Oh.....and in case you are wondering why no door under the shelf , well I wanted the space to put our gas cylinder in. Normally I have these on the outside of the house but at least for now it has a home inside.
Attachments
WP_20150826_009.jpg
WP_20150826_011.jpg
Last edited by Bangyai on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Meanwhile ....... in the front garden Gop has been busy planting out our half ong to nice effect. Now I have some roof paint left over and am tempted to use it up painting the Ong to give it a terra cotta look.

Gotta use that paint somewhere before it goes off in the heat so it's either the Ong or the mother in law. I think an animated terra cotta granny would look pretty neat wandering around the garden ..... a lot better than a gnome anyway . :shock:
Attachments
WP_20150826_014.jpg
Bangyai

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Bangyai wrote:And when I broke for lunch I had finished :)

Not too bad a job for a first effort. Definitely on a par with Ken ..... not much of a boast but I think there is a future for me as a cowboy kitchen maker.

Thats definitely a top job Bangers. Now that you have the confidence why don't you try something more challenging like building a house? :wink:
my question to you. How do you get the gas pipe from the bottle into that oven :?:

At the moment our gas bottle is outside, the safest place imho and we are both in the habit of turning it off before food is carried to the table. If i allocate a similar cupboard space to yours when i get around to doing the kitchen I will be incorporating a vent grille in the back wall just incase there is a leak anywhere. Its not always practical to keep running in and out is it. :?:
eyecatcher

Postby Bangyai » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:58 am

^. Yes ....... if you look at the pictures you can see a hole I left at the back and the gas pipe passes through there. I am in total agreement with you about having the gas tank outside the house. As I mentioned I have always done this in the past for safety reasons. In addition I have always built a small cupboard outside to house it so that is not exposed to the sun and rain. When I get back from the U.K. In September I will build a home for the gas tank outside again but for now at least its out of sight.

It's lucky for me the camera on this phone is only 5 million pixels so the bad tiling does not look too awful.

Not quite ready to build a complete house yet though. Pity I'm getting older not younger otherwise one day ....... :)

One thing is for sure which I'm sure everyone will agree with and that is that when you have a house here you will never be bored or want for something to do. You might get frustrated with local builders though which just encourages you to have a go yourself !
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Back from my first trip to England in over three years and its surprising how fast things can go to seed without my presence.Ms Bangyais home care skills only run to sweeping with the Thai broom and a weekly mopping of the floor.
The view of the hills has disappeared behind a verdant growth of weeds on the adjacent plot.
Attachments
WP_20151002_007.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Next time I tackle that jungle I will cut things right down to ground level. Won't be anytime soon though as plenty of other things to do. When I do go in there it will be well wrapped up since there are a few snakes and scorpions in there for the unwary.
Pity the plants we have bought don't grow as fast as the weeds. Still , at least our water feature looks nice.
Attachments
WP_20151002_008.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Not done much this week except finish off the kitchen with a bit of skirting board and have painted both sides of the bedroom door.
Attachments
WP_20151002_003.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:57 pm

The crack on the outside wall has not grown but the kitchen ceiling has cracked away from the wall in sympathy. Not too worried but would really like to put some coving up in the kitchen which would hide this and look very nice. Unfortunately , never seen any in Thailand except of the wood or plastic wood type. Back in the U.K. you can get polystyrene coving covered in thick card. This is very lightweight and a lot easier to work with than the plaster molded type.
Attachments
WP_20151002_004.jpg
Bangyai

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Bangyai wrote:The crack on the outside wall has not grown but the kitchen ceiling has cracked away from the wall in sympathy. Not too worried but would really like to put some coving up in the kitchen which would hide this and look very nice. Unfortunately , never seen any in Thailand except of the wood or plastic wood type. Back in the U.K. you can get polystyrene coving covered in thick card. This is very lightweight and a lot easier to work with than the plaster molded type.

Yes Bangers, they dont seem to care for finishing trims here, cornice, coving, architraves, skirtings. if the door opens and closes why bother with an archi? keep looking I am sure I have seen the polystyrene cove in the likes of Home Pro, it will get here slowly like everything else.

As an alternative to the mega expensive plastic coves you could try a couple of options. first if the crack is only 5mm or so you can simply get a tub of gyproc filler (or as they use for jointing boards) and just manually fill the offending cracks; its unlikely to be every wall as they tend to shrink crack against the weakest fixings..

The second thing to try, you can buy quite small concaved wood quadrant trim from most diy stores. pre strain it or paint it and just "no nails" it and pin it to the WALL not the ceiling.i should thin a 30x30 trim would be sufficient and easy enough to mitre.
eyecatcher

Postby Bangyai » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi eyecatcher ,

Thanks for following my sporadic posts. Yes , I have considered both alternatives you have suggested but decided to sit on it a while as low priority until the end of the rainy season. This for two reasons. First I thought that with a bit of patience I might come across the coving I am looking for and secondly because I currently have other jobs in hand.

Whilst I was away Ms bangyai neglected to check the levels in the three waste tanks at the side of the house. On account of a lot of heavy rain during my absence, the water table seems to have risen a bit and on inspection they were all fill to ground level .
Not only that but I noticed that under that side of the house all the soil was saturated with water....not good...maybe some seepage. On top of that all the water from the roof cascades down and adds to the build up of water on that side. So I quickly got all three tanks pumped out and today I have put up guttering on that side of the house to help keep water management working properly. Unfortunately , although I put a slope to the guttering I made the mistake of putting the 5 mounting brackets dead square which has caused a wee bit of buckling in the white plastic gutters ( 650 baht for a 4 meter length ). So tomorrow I will have to re drill 20 holes and slightly tilt the brackets to get the expensive white gutters looking nice and unwarped. Of course, after the event I decided to look at the fitting instructions and they warned against this .....silly me.

Getting back to the kitchen ceiling....... It will probably happen that I find the coving I want and it will cost a blue murder and involve selling a liver. Since I need both I will probably then adopt the second of your options since I think the gap is too much to fill without having to keep doing it every time it cracks in the heat.

Not had much time to look in on your own project yet but hope everything has worked out ok despite a change in builders. Will take a look see this week.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Solved the problem of the crack along the kitchen ceiling with this 2" plastic coving from Homepro at 139 baht per 2 meter length. Not going to do it all just yet though until the rainy season ends and the house has settled a bit more.
Attachments
WP_20151008_005.jpg
Bangyai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story