Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby scudman » Tue May 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Ians wrote:After 3 years with a number of major storms resulting a few unexpected roof leaks, never any sign of leaks at the windows. The frames were carefully sealed with silicone against the brickwork - so far so good.

Right......"carefully sealed" is key to a watertight install I think.
scudman

Postby regknick » Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Can anyone on this thread that's used Colorbond from Phuket provide contact details for the supplier? I'm located in Surat and I'm having a VERY difficult time finding the product.
regknick

Postby kiwimartin » Thu May 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi Reg,
We had Colorbond delivered to Koh Phangan from Bangkok for Bht 18000. They provided great service.
The name of the company is now http://www.steelandsolarroof.co.th/en/
The manager is Somchai at somchai@steelandsolarroof.co.th
Hope this helps.
kiwimartin

Postby scudman » Thu May 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Been a couple of weeks since my last update.
Busy shopping and picking out tile for baths and floors.
Windows and sliding glass doors are in without any problems. I decided to go flush to the outside as several suggested here in the forum. They look good and I am pleased with the quality. Company will come back out once more just before we move in to do final adjustments, hang the screens and clean everything up.
It has been raining quite a bit here lately so I ran around the house looking for leaks in the ceiling. The only thing I found was some leaking evidence in the soffit in several places. It appears to be because the flashing installation was a bit sloppy in certain locations. At the joint of two pieces of flashing is where all the leaks are, but some joints are fine. Also noted that there was some overspray that got on the portico roof from the PU foam spray job. Roof guy called and he has odered the solvent required to remove the overspray and when that comes in he will send his guy down to redo the flashing joints where it is leaking and clean up the over spray.

Going out tomorrow to buy light fixtures for the inside ceiling and outside soffits. Any sage advice on brands or CFL vs LED? Stopped at Home Works today for a quick look. The recessed down lights all seem the same. No difference for inside or outside use. Maybe I will just stick with a known brand like Phillips. Would like to make sure I can use either CFL or LED in the fixtures I will buy.
Attachments
IMG_3295.JPG
PU Foam over spray needs to come off.
IMG_3293.JPG
Doors and Windows look and fit good.
IMG_3291.JPG
Leaking flashing
IMG_3290.JPG
More wet spots.
scudman

Postby scudman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 am

The roof overhang leaks have been sorted out. Been checking after every heavy down pour and all looks good. Still some leaks in the cistern that need attention. That thing has been a nightmare. Can't put the gutters up and start collecting rainwater until ALL the water ingress is stopped.

Primer coat on all interior and exterior surfaces. Paint colors picked out and 2 coats of top coat should be going on over the next week or so.

Water feature at entrance is coming along. Slate installed for the falls. Tile picked for the inside of the ponds, and sandstone pond top tiles are getting edges and corners rounded before installation.

Teak entrance doors being installed. Still to get some antique looking iron added along with the 2x4 locking arrangement.

Won't be long before light fixtures and fans can go up.

Workers are moving the "camp" offsite to the adjacent empty plots, so that leveling, landscape and the plot drainage system can be started.

We been busy.
Attachments
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
scudman

Postby olavhome » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:36 am

The water feature in the entrance looks nice.
Looking forward to pictures when finished :-)
olavhome

Postby scudman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Getting down to the short strokes on finishing up the buildings. Inside painted, and the painters are making good progress on the outside. Still some tile work to do yet as well. Wood built-ins started arriving today from the wood shop. Some chests of drawers for the closets and under vanity drawers and shelves. 3/4 ply with teak veneer. 11 ea. MrKen fans should arrive from Bangkok early next week. Have a few more electrical fixtures to pick out and buy for the electrician. Target finish date is Aug 20. Builder wants a meeting to discuss this. He has a 3000 THB penalty for every day past the 20th. Guessing he wants an extension. I will have to negotiate more work from him in exchange. He still has to run electrical from the pole underground to the main panel along with Cable TV and a phone line. The main panel is not loaded with breakers yet either. His list is pretty long and it is going to be tight. He has pulled a lot of workers off my job to work another job he just started.
Attachments
IMG_0519.JPG
Painting soffits. Tough on the neck.
IMG_0518.JPG
Outside columns and walls get their first coat of top paint.
IMG_0520.JPG
Tiling the back steps to the kitchen and storage room.
IMG_0516.JPG
Shelf and draw unit for under the vanity.
IMG_0515.JPG
Master BR shelf and drawer vanity unit.
IMG_0514.JPG
Chest of drawers for my closet. The pulls go on later I guess.
scudman

Postby Ians » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:42 pm

As far as your builder running past the agreed finish date, I would be a little generous in my approach, being too hard - nosed now could be to your disadvantage later if you need a favour or feel something should be attended to at the builders cost - you need to part on good terms. I got my builder back many times to sort out a few problems - mainly leaks in the roof - he was happy to assist with sorting out the problems at no costs to myself.
Ians

Postby scudman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:00 am

Ians wrote:As far as your builder running past the agreed finish date, I would be a little generous in my approach, being too hard - nosed now could be to your disadvantage later if you need a favour or feel something should be attended to at the builders cost - you need to part on good terms. I got my builder back many times to sort out a few problems - mainly leaks in the roof - he was happy to assist with sorting out the problems at no costs to myself.

Sound advice Ians. I have a 3% hold back for 6 months on the final payment so any issues will be at his expense whether he fixes them or someone else does. We, (the wife) decided to give him more time (without penalty) to save confrontation and loss of face. But I will pursue some sort or reciprocity in return for the extension.

Painting should be done in a few days. Tiling continues slowly as only 2 ladies are working it. The electrician has not been seen for days. Need the trench dug and pipe laid for the feed to the house, breakers installed and a few more runs completed. On a happy note, the Mr Ken fans arrived yesterday. 10 ea. wood blade, brushed nickel, with remote, and 1 ea. 84" Helicopter are now waiting to be installed.
Attachments
IMG_3539.JPG
scudman

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:32 am

Nice choice of Fans

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:07 pm

It rained all almost all night and all the next day in Phuket. Went out to the house to check on everything and the water was so high it was an inch from the bottom of the car doors. Today the waters have receded but yesterday was the highest I have ever seen the water in our location. The khlongs were all full and overflowing so the drainage system appeared to be working to capacity. If it rains like that for 3 days straight, we will have water in the house methinks.
Attachments
Sim's iPhone 391.JPG
The six rai next to us completely submerged.
Sim's iPhone 389.JPG
The two rai in front of us. Front rai OK barely, middle rai submerged.
Sim's iPhone 392.JPG
The klong behind us. Full and overflowing.
Sim's iPhone 388.JPG
The access road to our place; under 1/2 meter of water.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:05 pm

scudman wrote:It rained all almost all night and all the next day in Phuket. Went out to the house to check on everything and the water was so high it was an inch from the bottom of the car doors. Today the waters have receded but yesterday was the highest I have ever seen the water in our location. The khlongs were all full and overflowing so the drainage system appeared to be working to capacity. If it rains like that for 3 days straight, we will have water in the house methinks.

How is your water level Scudman, have you pumped it out yet?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:40 pm

pipoz wrote:
scudman wrote:It rained all almost all night and all the next day in Phuket. Went out to the house to check on everything and the water was so high it was an inch from the bottom of the car doors.

How is your water level Scudman, have you pumped it out yet?

pipoz

I went out yesterday after the rain stopped and was quite surprised to find that the water level had dropped significantly. I saw a makro over by the large klong that takes the run-off to the ocean and it appeared that it had been working hard to clear any and all debris from the waterway.
So all is well once again. I think that the storm just dumped to much to fast for the klongs to handle all of it. We were still about 1 meter clear of water getting in the house. I am going to have to put a valve in my cistern overflow pipe that empties into the klong behind the house. If that much rain happens again, I will have to close the valve to prevent water coming back into the cistern and I will have to shut off the inflow as well.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Re. I am going to have to put a valve in my cistern overflow pipe that empties into the klong behind the house. If that much rain happens again, I will have to close the valve to prevent water coming back into the cistern and I will have to shut off the inflow as well.[/quote]

Good idea to put a non return valve on the outflow pipe side, to stop any backward flow

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Been a while since I posted. Things are moving at a snails pace now. Lots of little stuff to do. Most of the work now is the wood built-ins and finishing up the electrical. Actually used an extension cord to bring in the mains to the breaker box and had all the switches switched to see lights on and fans working and hoods exhausting, oh my!
A few pics of various things.
Attachments
DSCF0100.JPG
Solid Teak Entrance doors
DSCF0098.JPG
84" Helicopter Fan installed. Got it wrapped in plastic until I get a rain shade up in front of it.
DSCF0097.JPG
Kitchen Island almost done. Hood installed over Hob, and kitchen cabs going in.
DSCF0099.JPG
Office bookcase in and doors to Mstr Bedroom in.
DSCF0093.JPG
Kid's room. Workstations, bookcase and closet going in.
scudman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story