Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:06 am

What doe this mean - lol. Some of my (excellent) plumber's labelling! He may be right!
20150723_142051.jpg

The tank farm nearly half filled in one evenings rain!
20150723_142136.jpg

and the filter system is now supplying drinking water to the whole house...
20150723_141936.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 am

That's a healthy looking water storage systems, good for what about 10,000 liters

I cam sympathize with your comment about being a quasi PM on site. I was very please d with my trip week when I only had to watch two competent carpenters & two excellent electricians and basically do F...k All. That is other than have a few LEO's and run down the hardware store for the occasional buy.

It make a world a difference to how you feel about your Build when you can actually enjoy some of your time on site. Keep plugging a way and in the home straight will be enjoyable

pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:20 pm

There hasn't been too much enjoyable about the past 2 months on the island...but we are nearly there. I would give my eye teeth for a competent wood-worker, though the sparky/ plumber has been superb.
We have 12 x 2000 litre tanks, so the system holds 24,000 litres. And the loos now flush, and a hot water shower is on-stream!
I am currently assembling the IKEA kitchen...I wouldn't let any of these numpties near it...even though all the instructions are all in pictures.
20150725_142756.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby zebrafilm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Would IKEA material be resistant enough inTH? Any way to treat it properly?

Just saw a cabinet completely eaten at my families home.
You heard the worms eating but did not see much. Only when pushing the laminate it turned out everything was gone behind it.

A local 'doctor' showed how they had found a way thought the concrete foundation up into the rooms. He cut of the route but the damage was huge.

I'll like to go the same route but if the kitchen is gone in no time.....
Wonder if the Thai products are better treated against the enthusiastic eaters.

Bastiaan
zebrafilm

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

The new IKEA Metod kitchen seem a far cry from the old crumbly IKEA stuff Bastiaan - the fittings, like the snap on and off doors, are superb. We asked and were assured the doors and frames are safe and that the 25 year guarantee would cover 'everything'. Lets hope, of course, that we never have to test it.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_TH/pdf/METOD/ ... _TH_EN.pdf
kiwimartin

Postby olavhome » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:31 am

Have seen the kitchens and look really nice. And also its the guarantee.
Have tried their Kitchen planning model for layout of own Kitchen.
Also bathroom Furniture and wardrobes for bedroom is ok.
It is the same as used in Europe.
olavhome

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:28 pm

kiwimartin wrote:The new IKEA Metod kitchen seem a far cry from the old crumbly IKEA stuff Bastiaan - the fittings, like the snap on and off doors, are superb. We asked and were assured the doors and frames are safe and that the 25 year guarantee would cover 'everything'. Lets hope, of course, that we never have to test it.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_TH/pdf/METOD/ ... _TH_EN.pdf

IKEA wrote:"We offer you a 25 year guarantee that covers manufacturing and material defects on the METOD kitchen system"
unfortunately there is nothing in the guarantee relating to insect damage, so I would think that it is not covered, as it is not a manufacturing or material defect.

Unless you have something extra in writing covering insect damage being "assured the doors and frames are safe" has no real meaning other than to make you happy to buy from them. I would be liberal with Chandrit on all edges that touch the house structure.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I would be liberal with Chandrit on all edges that touch the house structure.

I don't like toxic remedies ... however ... my left-over eaves wood [young teak] has been stacked directly on the dirt and exposed to the elements and termites for five years.

It had two coats of Chaindrite and is still sound.

Chaindrite does the job and ... when applied during the build cycle ... can negate the need for [potentially] more-noxious under-house bug spraying.

I am testing some samples of the same wood soaked in a salt and vinegar solution ... hopeful of similar results but obviously it will take a while to know.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Gentlemen - the place is drenched in Chaindrite - ceilings, doors, wood steps and shelves etc...which may leave the little buggers no alternative but the IKEA :?
The IKEA doors and frames show no exposed surfaces that have not been sealed...lets see. Might be chic to replace the kitchen every 5 years.... :cry:
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Gentlemen - the place is drenched in Chaindrite - ceilings, doors, wood steps and shelves etc...which may leave the little buggers no alternative but the IKEA :?
The IKEA doors and frames show no exposed surfaces that have not been sealed...lets see. Might be chic to replace the kitchen every 5 years.... :cry:

Hi Kiwimartin

I did the same and coated my internal doors with Chaindrite. Plus had my windows also done with it before they were stained by the Manufacturer.

Once every 2-3 months, I walk around with my little TB 300, plastic back pack sprayer and Chaindrite solution, and spray along the house edge/footing under the Verandah line, where it doesn't really get rain on it.

One a year I get the Pest Control Man to come back and inject the soilalong the line of the house perimeter paving slab.

I am lucky, I have no timber in the ceilings or eaves

Haven't heard one of the little buggers having lunch on my time so far, "Touch Wood" :lol: :roll:

Regards

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:33 pm

Nearly there now...these pics from a few weeks back. We spent our first night at 'home' a week back.
Deck and pools - ready for 45,000 litres of water...we may wait for the upcoming big wet...
3.jpg

We have used colour throughout to define and create a feeling of transition from room to room...
Master Bedroom and bath
2.jpg

Living and kitchen - IKEA kitchen under construction
1.jpg

Upstairs guest bed
4.jpg

and bath
5.jpg

Downstairs bedrooms
6.jpg

and living/bed
7.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:23 pm

Nice colour choice for the Bathroom Wall.Is it a tile or stone

Pool looks great

pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:10 am

All tile I am afraid Phil...

I had a small mecco onsite last week to flatten and sculpt the land prior to planting. The small machine was 1500bht an hour and worth every satang. The operator was hard working and skilful - and happy to sit and have a beer and a yarn in Thaiglish at day's end.
The plan is to use leelawadee (frangapani to me) as a primary tree, almost as a scented 'orchard', interspersed with other tropicals such as heliconias. I will later meander paths through the trees. We will initially throw Bermuda grass seed over everything to stabilize the loose earth. The wet season is easing in so now is the time.
20150809_163425.jpg

20150809_164617.jpg

20150809_174626.jpg

20150809_164736.jpg

20150809_164920.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:48 am

kiwimartin wrote:All tile I am afraid Phil...

I had a small mecco onsite last week to flatten and sculpt the land prior to planting. The small machine was 1500bht an hour and worth every satang. The operator was hard working and skilful - and happy to sit and have a beer and a yarn in Thaiglish at day's end.
The plan is to use leelawadee (frangapani to me) as a primary tree, almost as a scented 'orchard', interspersed with other tropicals such as heliconias. I will later meander paths through the trees. We will initially throw Bermuda grass seed over everything to stabilize the loose earth. The wet season is easing in so now is the time.
20150809_163425.jpg

20150809_164617.jpg

20150809_174626.jpg

20150809_164736.jpg

20150809_164920.jpg

Now comes the landscaping and gardening later.

I am dreading mine and aiming to have a garden with minimal upkeep

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:41 am

Where is the picture of you swimming in the pool

pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story