My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Here is what I have been using and what the web site had to say.

ERA-POWDER_200_1.jpg
ERA-POWDER_200_1.jpg (20.86 KiB) Viewed 974 times

ERA POWDER PLUS:
is a type of contact insecticide which exterminates termite, cockroaches,
ants effectively. Besides, it is very safe for use in any residential areas.

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE:
dry powder made of heavy substance thus it will not disperse in the air.

DIRECTION FOR USE:
Spread the powder on infected areas when a crawling insect comes to
contact with the powder, the insect's nerve will fail to function. Besides,
the powder can be mixed with water (the powder 100 grams per
20 liters of water) spray on insects or on plant leaves to protect plants
from harmful insects.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Forgot to mention congratulation on your build and driveway good to see proper communication with Thais can result in a house to be proud of.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby jomoblues » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:50 pm

My apologies for my late responses to everyone who has posted on my thread recently.

Jan and I have been entertaining some friends at home who just happened to call in on spec on Friday as they were passing thru Udon and stayed on until Tuesday! Lovely people but (quietly I'm) happy that they are finally on their way home so that I can give my liver a break from the alcohol---ungrateful of me to say, I know. They toggle their time between London and Roi Et, so we don't get to catch up with them that often.

Sincere thanks from me and Jan to BKKBILL, Schuimpge, MGV12, Pipoz and Olavhome for the very positive feedback that you've provided. I know that none of us set out deliberately fishing for compliments as we record our individual building stories on CTH, but still your generous comments and kind words are a welcome validation of the hard work that we've put into the building of our home over the past two years. Thank you. As Schuimpge says, its not a style of house he likes, and I readily acknowledge it wouldn't suit many, but we do truly appreciate all of your generous and honest feedback.

Respectfully, JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:12 pm

A belated well done and congratulations, now you are finally finished. The Thais will love your house and think it's owned by the rich local puyang or puyai and with the drive down that just reinforces it. I know they think mine is an office or at the least a block of flats.
Watch the drive though, they have a bad habit of suddenly sinking in different spots after heavy rain. Maybe all the weeds and grass that grow through it will hold it together. :lol:
Well done and now for the garden posts eh?
Roger Ramjet

Postby jomoblues » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:A belated well done and congratulations, now you are finally finished. The Thais will love your house and think it's owned by the rich local puyang or puyai and with the drive down that just reinforces it. I know they think mine is an office or at the least a block of flats.
Watch the drive though, they have a bad habit of suddenly sinking in different spots after heavy rain. Maybe all the weeds and grass that grow through it will hold it together. :lol:
Well done and now for the garden posts eh?

Thanks for the compliments Roger, very much appreciated.

I'm still working through the final couple of days needed to complete the driveway. I also have to post some responses to questions from Pipoz and MGV12 which should bring the story right up to date. If we are lucky enough to avoid rain tomorrow :? then we should be able to finish it.

Spot on regarding the Thais. R/ JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:32 pm

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS REGARDING MY DRIVEWAY.

Just a few questions,
1. Who leveled the Sub Base, you or SCG-CPAC?

A bit of both. Most of our sub base (fill dirt) has been down for over 8 years when we raised our land by 1.2 metres above rice field level, although Jan did arrange for a top up where it had compacted well down just before we started our building work 2 years ago. The driveway section has had 8 years of compacting plus two years of constant heavy vehicle traffic usage. So, after 10 years it is well compacted and fairly level. SCG did do some work on it but mostly cosmetic . For detail, see 2.

2. Did they just level off the surface of the Sub Base or did they Compact/Roll it?
Additional compacting wasn't necessary in my particular instance but they do do this, if needed. SCG levelled up the driveway after chalking out the shape and weeding it where necessary. Mostly it was just a question of flattening out the tyre marks where trucks had churned up the top few cms after rain and the odd low area. They threw the dirt around to get it all more or less right then vibrated it. They didn't roll it, just used a standard commercial mechanical vibrator. They then put some gravel down and again vibrated it in readiness for the sand.

3. What depth is their bedding sand under/for the Pavers? is it 50mm??
The sand is mostly 50mm deep. However if you read through my recent posts on the subject you should note the comments regarding my car port. It's 22cms higher than the surrounding soil level so SCG had to build a ramp up to the floor level. There's a 6 metre long slowly rising ramp that is comprised of reinforced concrete, plus a gravel layer and then the sand. The area just in front of the porch to the house is a bit higher so it's thicker there as well, but in general--- yes the depth of sand is 50mm. As the sand was being spread is was well vibrated at least once but heavy usage areas of the driveway were vibrated twice. Please also note that the 10cm concrete kerbs form an important part in fixing the driveway so as to prevent lateral movement.

4. Does CPAC give you any warranty with regards to movement of the paving surface, i.e. should some of the paving settle in localized areas or subside? Will they come and fix it?
As a general rule, No they do not give you a warranty covering movement/ subsidence as cause is subjective, but they will come out and complete repairs as necessary, for a price. But read on. My wife is not one to accept things at face value when they conflict with her expectations. When this subject came up during our negotiations we were told that materials are guaranteed but they are 'reluctant' to offer any sort of guarantee against subsidence/ movement. Jan argued that as we had spent Baht900k+ on the roof and a further Baht200k on the driveway, as a gesture of goodwill they aught to provide us with a warranty. The local office said they couldn't accommodate her request so she contacted the main office in BKK. They flew an English educated Thai manager/ engineer up to UTH to meet with us and inspect the driveway. Long story short, Jan received a written 1 year guarantee against movement and subsidence which they will repair as required for free and further promised to provide a call back service for a fee to attend to any issues that may occur after the guarantee period expires. So, twist their arm.

.. I would like to add a couple more to the list of questions:

5. Those "chemicals that fix everything in position' ... when the ants commence excavations beneath that perfect canopy will local subsidence be prevented?
To be honest with you, I'm not sure. I did ask the question but as often is the case in my conversations with Thai builders, I never got a yes or no reply. The chemicals really do fix everything into a solid crust; it's rock hard but as we know ants are strong, industrious and determined little creatures, so it could well be that I'll have to cope with some localised subsidence in the future

6. Will the sealant prevent drainage through the blockwork during storm deluges?
Yes. The builders have already completed applying the first of the two chemicals, which is the one mentioned above which fixes everything into position. Today they started applying the second product which is the sealer. The operations manager informs me that once they've finished this coat it will be waterproof. When they were preparing to lay the blocks I asked that they raise the centre section ever so slightly and slope down to the sides to help shed the water off the driveway and prevent pools forming during a downpour. I checked the slope up to the car port and that seems to work out fine but I'm not sure about the rest of it at this time. I'll know soon enough when it rains.

7. Were any precautions taken to prevent flora creeping up between the blocks ... as they most certainly tend to ... or do they claim that those chemicals will suffice?
No. I raised the issue of weed killer with them during the initial discussions and at that time I was informed that they do in fact apply a weed killer, usually after they have levelled up the base and before laying the sand. I was away from the site at that particular juncture and when I returned I asked them if they had done it. They said no, as they usually apply the chemicals after they have laid the blocks. When the chemicals arrived I asked what they were and what were they used for. No mention of killing weeds and after much prevarication it was finally conceded that they don't in fact apply a weed killer, but not to worry as the chemicals they use will kill all the vegetation anyway. A typically convoluted way of finally getting to the point of them admitting that they don't do it rather than saying no to me when I asked the question at the beginning. If I'd have known for sure I'd have done it myself, but not to worry as you have now taught me that salt and vinegar will do the trick so I'll use that method as and when the need arises!

JoMo

[/quote]
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Jomo,

So for the 200K how many m2 of paving did you get

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi Pipoz.

Sorry I didn't reply to your pm. I'll send you a response tomorrow but just for now. Ball park:-

Final cost will come in at Baht 206,000. Driveway just under 300 M2.

Thanks. John
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 pm

jomoblues wrote:Hi Pipoz.

Sorry I didn't reply to your pm. I'll send you a response tomorrow but just for now. Ball park:-

Final cost will come in at Baht 206,000. Driveway just under 300 M2.

Thanks. John

Thanks John
pipoz

Postby marcas » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:13 pm

jomoblues wrote:For the lock-up soffit we chose Smart Board, as this is the same material and brand that we used on the house. Our builder is very diplomatic and said that although he prefers to work with Gypsum, if we want Smart Board he'll do as we ask. His reason for preferring gypsum is mainly cosmetic as he said that whereas gypsum seams won't show, with smart board they will eventually crack in some places. He's probably also protecting himself a little bit from possible complaints in the future by pointing out the potential problem now and passing back the final decision for us to make.

He's correct in what he says because that's exactly what's happened with the house. Where we have used gypsum for interior ceilings everything is still perfect but where we've used smart board for the exterior soffits there are many places where the joints have now cracked along the line of union. We still decided to use Smart Board both for the lock-up soffits and the car port ceiling, whilst acknowledging his note of caution.

We also decided to fit the soffit on an angle as we didn't want it appearing to be too low down and maybe interfering with the vented blocks had we fitted it horizontally.
2a.jpg

Oh, just one other thing. Jan never like my Arthur Daley-esque term (old English T.V. progam 'Minder") "Lock-Up' so she's changed it to 'Tank Room' and that will have to be it's description from now on!

JoMo

Hi, could anybody give me a quick price on this soffit board? My builder gave a price off the top of his head, which seems a little high, but I have no idea myself yet. Area is 55m2. Thanks........oh, smart board we are thinking of using.
marcas

Previous

Return to Your Building Story