My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:03 pm

On with the work!
Sand, partially vibrated--leading up to the car port.
e.jpg

Having stringed out their centre line east / west from the main entrance porch of the house to the gate and then north / south across the driveway as it snakes round to the car port, and after Jan gave it the OK they made a start on the block work. This view is looking from the front door of the house towards the gate.
1.jpg

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Then they set about the more intricate work of laying out the motif. It was good to see that SCG had provided the supervisor with an A3 colour plan of the design.
2.jpg
Starting on the motif

I moved to the second floor balcony so as to allow me a better view of the motif as it developed.
Mostly it was the chang and his older son who took responsibility for creating the motif, although they did consult with Winai from time to time as the pattern emerged.
3.jpg
Just about finished

After they had finished for the day, I had a closer look at it with my copy of the design. It was mostly very good but there were a couple of misplaced colours. I suppose when you are working on it for hours it all blurs together a bit? I put a pebble marker on the two that I wanted changing so that I could talk to Winai and the supervisor about it the next day.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:37 pm

The next morning I pointed out the two blocks that I wanted them to change out. No problems--with eyes rested they could see the errors for themselves.

A team then set about marking out and cutting the many red blocks that were required to fill in the gaps around the edge of the motif circle.
4.jpg
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:20 pm

With work laying the 'full' red blocks across the rest of the driveway now complete, attention once again returned to the kerbs. These were now to be raised another 6 centimetres to achieve a common height with the blocks and eventually rendered. It was noticeable that on this occasion far more attention was taken in ensuring that the form work was prepared properly at an even distance of 10 centimetres and (as best possible) running parallel to each other.
1.jpg
2.jpg

OK, still not perfect but much improved on their previous attempts.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:40 pm

The next task was to sift sand to remove any pebbles and end up with a pile of very fine grains---(We have 'silver sand' in the UK but this is the best they can do here, I suppose? Not sure so please don't quote me on it). Anyway, the idea is to get very fine grained sand and then spread it out across the entire driveway and brush it into all of the joints between the blocks.

The weather had been closing in for a couple of days and threatening rain (as can be seen in the photo), and as the supervisor and Winai explained to Jan this step of the process can only be completed when both the blocks and the sand are completely dry so as to ensure that they get as much of it down between the blocks as possible.
1.jpg
The young boy with the spreader is 13. Says he's had enough school already and prefers to work with his mum and dad!
We got no further than this!

After this has been completed they intend to vibrate the driveway again and 'polish' the blocks, (I asked Jan what they meant when she explained this to me later, but she wasn't sure---need to understand what they mean). They said they'll also check and clean any marks off the blocks and finally level up any that may have settled. Then they apply a chemical which fixes everything in position. We have the chemicals, but again I'm not sure about this and I'll have to check with them for a more clear explanation when they get back on site.

All we managed was to make a start on brushing in the sand, before the storm arrived. Everything is now saturated and I'm sure they'll have to brush out all of he sand and start again once we have some settled weather. Been terrible for 5 days now so I'm not sure when we'll be able to finish.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:55 pm

POST SCRIPT.

'Time and tide wait for no man"---Author unknown, but a favourite saying of my dear, departed mother----always with the emphasis on MAN.

Well to borrow the phrase I could say that my wife waits for no man either. In the lull of activity on the driveway and with soil heavy with the rains, I'd more or less suspended outdoor activity until things improve. Not my wife. She's moved 10 cubes of soil to fill in the newly created 'bed' that we now have between the car port and the north side of the house, which she's prepared as a reminder to me that I've promised to lay a lawn there!
2.jpg

I did manage to venture outside and take the photos though!!
3.jpg
An idea what it will look like once we manage to get it all completed.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby olavhome » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:51 pm

It is really coming along very nice the driveway as well.
Smart to be checking what they mean with polishing.
May look nice in the beginning, but then ..... :oops:
olavhome

Postby pipoz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:45 am

Very nice look Jomo

I have always said the driveway colour should complement the roof colour, Red on Red is good

I am locked into Grey on Grey

Just a few questions,
1. Who leveled the Sub Base, you or SCG-CPAC?
2. Did they just level off the surface of the Sub Base or did they Compact/Roll it?
3. What depth is their bedding sand under/for the Pavers? is it 50mm??
4. Does CPAC give you any warranty with regards to movement of the paving surface, i.e. should some of the paving settle in localized areas or subside? Will they come and fix it?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 am

pipoz wrote:Very nice look Jomo

I have always said the driveway colour should complement the roof colour, Red on Red is good

I am locked into Grey on Grey

Just a few questions,
1. Who leveled the Sub Base, you or SCG-CPAC?
2. Did they just level off the surface of the Sub Base or did they Compact/Roll it?
3. What depth is their bedding sand under/for the Pavers? is it 50mm??
4. Does CPAC give you any warranty with regards to movement of the paving surface, i.e. should some of the paving settle in localized areas or subside? Will they come and fix it?

pipoz

Compliments the house beautifully Jomo ... I would like to add a couple more to the list of questions:

5. Those "chemicals that fix everything in position' ... when the ants commence excavations beneath that perfect canopy will local subsidence be prevented?
6. Will the sealant prevent drainage through the blockwork during storm deluges?
7. Were any precautions taken to prevent flora creeping up between the blocks ... as they most certainly tend to ... or do they claim that those chemicals will suffice?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby pipoz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Compliments the house beautifully Jomo ... I would like to add a couple more to the list of questions:

5. Those "chemicals that fix everything in position' ... when the ants commence excavations beneath that perfect canopy will local subsidence be prevented?
6. Will the sealant prevent drainage through the blockwork during storm deluges?
7. Were any precautions taken to prevent flora creeping up between the blocks ... as they most certainly tend to ... or do they claim that those chemicals will suffice?[/quote]

Hi MGV12,

I can answer Question 7 - Its Roundup, if you can find it in Thailand :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
Roundup Product Usage Chart (M).jpg
Roundup Product Usage Chart (M)
pipoz

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi MGV12,

I can answer Question 7 - Its Roundup, if you can find it in Thailand :lol:

pipoz

Hi pipoz,

Six different grades of Grass & Weed killer :!:

In Thailand "Use this ... same-same"

None of these things seem to be effective against grass/weed seeds, nor the subterranean creepers, in the long term. I wanted my blockwork around the house to be permeable as we have no rain gutters ... so [out of the reach of pets] I did put toxic solutions + salt + vinegar under the blocks. Lasted maybe two years and then some subsidence due to ant excavations and all sorts of flora popping up. I soak it in salt/vinegar solution and it dies back for a while ... maybe a couple of months. Ants are immensely strong for their size but naturally go for the small grains which they bring up between the blocks ... this tends to act like a grout. Therefore not only do you get subsidence but also the joints get blocked and after rain the puddle remains for quite a while.

That's my experience anyway ... those with different soil conditions might fair better; ours is sandy.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jomoblues » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:34 am

MGV12, Pipoz, Olav.

Thanks for your compliments and for weighing in with some good points & questions. I've asked myself the same ones before and during this little project. I'm away today. Using my cell phone to reply. I'll answer what i can when i get back home tmw.

MGV. You're right about the ants. Industrious little buggers have moved in already!!

Thx once again. John
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:22 pm

jomoblues wrote:MGV12, Pipoz, Olav.

Thanks for your compliments and for weighing in with some good points & questions. I've asked myself the same ones before and during this little project. I'm away today. Using my cell phone to reply. I'll answer what i can when i get back home tmw.

MGV. You're right about the ants. Industrious little buggers have moved in already!!

Thx once again. John

Hi Jomo,

You might try one of these options for your Ants,

Boric Acid: Use boric acid. It's completely natural and it really works against ants. When they ingest boric acid, it poisons their stomachs and they die. Boric acid also damages ants' exoskeletons the same way diatomaceous earth does. It comes in the form of a white or blue powder that you sprinkle in areas where you commonly see ants, like near your baseboards or in your windowsills
• Boric acid is not a toxic pesticide, but it should not be consumed by humans or pets. Avoid using it in areas where your children and pets play. Don't use it near food sources or in your kitchen cabinets.
• Boric acid is nontoxic to beneficial insects, birds, reptiles or fish

White Vinegar: Try white vinegar and water. Ants really hate vinegar, and you can make a cheap, easy pesticide just using vinegar and water. Mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray it directly onto the ants to kill them, then wipe up the ants using a damp paper towel and discard them.
• You can also use vinegar and water as a deterrent; spray it around your windowsills, doorways and other places where you see ants coming inside.
• Some people have found that using this vinegar solution to clean the floors, windows and countertops makes ants less likely to crawl over these surfaces. White vinegar makes an excellent household cleaner, and you can't smell it once it dries.

Dish Soap & Water: Use dish soap and water. Fill a water bottle with one part dish soap and two parts water, then shake it up to mix the solution thoroughly. When you see a line of ants (or just one ant, for that matter) spray the mixture over them. They'll immediately halt and suffocate. Wipe up the dead ants with a wet cloth, and keep the spray bottle around for next time.
• Setting out shallow dishes of soapy water is another good way to kill ants. Lure them in with a trail of something sugary.
• This method is good for killing groups of ants, but it won't take out the entire nest. If ants keep coming back, you might have to address the source of the problem.
• Soapy water is a natural insecticide that kills most insects, not just ants. Try it on roaches, too.

The other one we recently tried at home was DETTOL and Water, and it worked

pipoz
pipoz

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 am

Pipoz is fully correct on the vinegar.
Just spray around window-sills and any place where you see them coming from (like electric-outlets for example).
There's nothing that beats the effectiveness of vinegar against ants.

Your house looks stunning by the way.. (and that's from someone who really does not like the style / type of house you have built)
Absolutely spot on in terms of colors and matching buildings, drive-way, placing on the land, etc.

Well done..
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby pipoz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:59 am

schuimpge wrote:Pipoz is fully correct on the vinegar.
Just spray around window-sills and any place where you see them coming from (like electric-outlets for example).
There's nothing that beats the effectiveness of vinegar against ants.

Your house looks stunning by the way.. (and that's from someone who really does not like the style / type of house you have built)
Absolutely spot on in terms of colors and matching buildings, drive-way, placing on the land, etc.

Well done..
Cheers,
Luc

Try cleaning the floor perimeters and door steps with DETTOL and Water, and the Ant will have a problem tracking along or crossing that area. You need to do it weekly

pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story