Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Postby pipoz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:25 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
pipoz wrote:Thanks, several of my room areas are also 17.5m2 but my room Volume is 54m3m so I will step up to the Mitsubishi MS-GK13VA 12430.6 BTU BTU Model

Another room is 32.5 m2 or 100 m3, so I will use two units in this room, a MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU at one end and a MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU at the other for more even cool air distribution, rather than just have one large MS-GK24VA 23665.97BTU Model

pipoz

Unless you have to get them installed all a once I would try one in one of your 17.5m2 rooms, as I think you are probably oversizing. And unless you get an inverter it's a bad idea to do that, and even with inverters significant oversizing isn't very good.

Also don't forget that there is a long/wide version for bigger rooms.

http://www.topcoolair.com/index.php?lay ... 20&Ntype=8

Which model would you try in the 17.5 m2 room (54m3) the MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU or the MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 am

pipoz wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:
pipoz wrote:Thanks, several of my room areas are also 17.5m2 but my room Volume is 54m3m so I will step up to the Mitsubishi MS-GK13VA 12430.6 BTU BTU Model

Another room is 32.5 m2 or 100 m3, so I will use two units in this room, a MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU at one end and a MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU at the other for more even cool air distribution, rather than just have one large MS-GK24VA 23665.97BTU Model

pipoz

Unless you have to get them installed all a once I would try one in one of your 17.5m2 rooms, as I think you are probably oversizing. And unless you get an inverter it's a bad idea to do that, and even with inverters significant oversizing isn't very good.

Also don't forget that there is a long/wide version for bigger rooms.

http://www.topcoolair.com/index.php?lay ... 20&Ntype=8

Which model would you try in the 17.5 m2 room (54m3) the MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU or the MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU?

pipoz

Well it's your house and your choice.

Having said that I would fit a 9000 BTU unit because that is the size I think would be correct. Another reason for fitting it is that your plans already have you buying at least 1 of them for 1 of your rooms, so if it doesn't do the job you can swap it for a bigger one without much problem, you can leave everything in place except the inner and outer units, so you only loose some of the coolant.

The problem with buying AC is that because to upgrade the unit is not that much money many people will do it "just to be safe" AC suppliers will tell you that you need a big one for 2 reasons 1 they make more money, 2 people don't complain if the AC runs for a short time to cool the room then shuts off, even though it doesn't bring down the humidity.

Correctly sized AC will run for long enough to cool and dry the room.
Oversized will cool but not run for the time to get the room dry enough.

We like the iFeel mode that drops the room to 25 degrees then switches to dry mode for night time use. For daytime 28 to 30 degrees and a room fan is great for a nap.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 am

pipoz wrote:Which model would you try in the 17.5 m2 room (54m3) the MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU or the MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU?

Pipoz,
Why don't you do what I did and contact these people......their name is Mitsubishi and they do have all the answers to all your questions there and they're the people who built their machine: http://www.mitsubishielectric.asia/thai ... x.html#air It's in English too.
If you get time you could even drop by their factory, but that takes a day tour. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks Roger will do

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:Which model would you try in the 17.5 m2 room (54m3) the MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU or the MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU?

Pipoz,
Why don't you do what I did and contact these people......their name is Mitsubishi and they do have all the answers to all your questions there and they're the people who built their machine: http://www.mitsubishielectric.asia/thai ... x.html#air It's in English too.
If you get time you could even drop by their factory, but that takes a day tour. :D

Thanks Roger, after three emails/messages to the web site, I got a bite and contact email back from a Mitsubishi Agent in Udon Thani.

He is on the way to the house tomorrow and will tell me what AC Models and Size he recommends. This will be interesting

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:31 pm

pipoz wrote:hanks Roger, after three emails/messages to the web site, I got a bite and contact email back from a Mitsubishi Agent in Udon Thani.

He is on the way to the house tomorrow and will tell me what AC Models and Size he recommends. This will be interesting

When we bought the three inverters for this house Home Pro had a "special" on as well, but it didn't include a service warranty free for the first two years and the waiting list for installation was a mile long. We talked to our Mum and Pop store who were also a Mitsubishi agent and the prices worked out to be the same, plus we got to choose which models we wanted with the 2 year free service. I hope it works out for you, some of the service personnel from Home Pro are not all that good. I still rue the day they put in my range hood and gas oven.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:hanks Roger, after three emails/messages to the web site, I got a bite and contact email back from a Mitsubishi Agent in Udon Thani.

When we bought the three inverters for this house Home Pro had a "special" on as well, but it didn't include a service warranty free for the first two years and the waiting list for installation was a mile long. We talked to our Mum and Pop store who were also a Mitsubishi agent and the prices worked out to be the same, plus we got to choose which models we wanted with the 2 year free service. I hope it works out for you, some of the service personnel from Home Pro are not all that good. I still rue the day they put in my range hood and gas oven.

I will keep you posted, after he visits and we agree the Models. If all goes well and I get a half reasonable price, plus services and warranties, he will be putting then in late the week after next, just after Songkran.

Have re-thought it and will probably opt for Mitsubishi Inverter Models in the Main Bedroom, where they will run all night and Econo Mr Slims in the smaller Bedrooms

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:49 pm

pipoz wrote:Have re-thought it and will probably opt for Mitsubishi Inverter Models in the Main Bedroom, where they will run all night and Econo Mr Slims in the smaller Bedrooms

The good part about the Mitsubishi pamphlets is they give all the details, including which is the best for the circumstances.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:Have re-thought it and will probably opt for Mitsubishi Inverter Models in the Main Bedroom, where they will run all night and Econo Mr Slims in the smaller Bedrooms

The good part about the Mitsubishi pamphlets is they give all the details, including which is the best for the circumstances.

Hi Roger

I think Ma and Pa have oversize my needs.

They have proposed (as attached)

Bedroom 3: MIT MSY-GK13VA 12,103.73 BTU INVERTER Model for a 13.7m2 or 41.8 m3 Room
Bedroom 2: MIT MSY-GK15VA 14,330.40 BTU INVERTER Model for a 17.4m2 or 53.2 m3 Room
Main Bedroom: Two MSY-GK15VA 14,330.40 BTU INVERTER Model-Units, that is 48,660 BTU for a 32.3m2 or 100 m3 Main Bedroom
Living Area: A single Ceiling Cassette Model PL-4BAKL 36,000 BTU Model for my Living area which is only 53.3m2 or 106m3

What do you think, it seems a bit over the top, to me. Any comments appreciated

Plus I have told them no to the locations of the Inside Wall Units FCU-1 and FCU-5, over my Patio doorways
Attachments
Ma and Pa Proposal 0804 2015.jpg
Ma and Pa Proposal 0804 2015
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 pm

pipoz wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:

Hi Roger

Bedroom 3: MIT MSY-GK13VA 12,103.73 BTU INVERTER Model for a 13.7m2 or 41.8 m3 Room
Bedroom 2: MIT MSY-GK15VA 14,330.40 BTU INVERTER Model for a 17.4m2 or 53.2 m3 Room
Main Bedroom: Two MSY-GK15VA 14,330.40 BTU INVERTER Model-Units, that is 48,660 BTU for a 32.3m2 or 100 m3 Main Bedroom
Living Area: A single Ceiling Cassette Model PL-4BAKL 36,000 BTU Model for my Living area which is only 53.3m2 or 106m3

Plus I have told them no to the locations of the Inside Wall Units FCU-1 and FCU-5, over my Patio doorways

If you like to wear down jackets, woolly hats and socks in Thailand with a chance of hyperthermia :lol: :lol: then they are perfect. You Already have my suggestions. I did tell you that they will oversize.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi Roger

Living Area: A single Ceiling Cassette Model PL-4BAKL 36,000 BTU Model for my Living area
which is only 53.3m2 or 106m3

Plus I have told them no to the locations of the Inside Wall Units FCU-1 and FCU-5, over my Patio doorways[/quote]

If you like to wear down jackets, woolly hats and socks in Thailand with a chance of hyperthermia :lol: :lol: then they are perfect. You Already have my suggestions. I did tell you that they will oversize.[/quote]

Thanks STWO and have told them to go back to a
One MIT MSY-GK09VA 8656.93 BTU INVERTER for Bedroom 3: = 13.7m2 or 41.8 m3 Room
One MIT MSY-GK13VA 12103.73BTU INVERTER for Bedroom 2: = 17.4m2 or 53.2 m3 Room

One MIT MSY-GK09VA 8656.93 BTU INVERTER & One MIT MSY-GK13VA 12103.73BTU INVERTER (Total 20,759 BTU instead of his suggested 28,660 BTU) for the Main Bedroom which is 32.3m2 or 100 m3

One MIT MSY-GK18VA 17992.5BTU INV for the Living Room area which is only 35.3m2 or 106m3, because this room gets no direct sun on the walls , is in the middle of the house with Bedrooms on either side and I can use make up cool air buy running one of the AC's in the Bedroom (with the door open ) if I need to. Certainly not using at PL-4BAKLCM 36,000 BTU like they suggested

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Four AC's installed

Quotes for the supply and installation of the Mitsubishi Air conditioning Units, was TB 98,000
MIT MSY-GK13VA 12103.73 BTU Super Inverter TB 25,500 per Unit x 3 No
MIT MSY-GK09VA 8656.93 BTU Super Inverter TB 21,500 per Unit x 1 No

Plus I paid him an extra TB 2,500, as I put all the Outside Units at ground level

All up total was, TB 100,500

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Bangyai » Sat May 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Interesting thread. We are buying the air conditioner for the bedroom in our new bungalow tomorrow.

After a lot of reading and thinking we have decided to go with a 12,000 btu Mitsubish Mr slim as our bedroom is just 17 square meters. We have used other brands in the past but from personal experience found the Mitsubishi to be the best.

I was keen on getting an inverter this time around but for one reason not yet mentioned have regrettably vetoed it.

Where we live is very far from the nearest large town ( Petchanun ) and we have found that what might be perfect for Bangkok can be less practical in the boonies since many of the maintenance people you deal with here have less experience with the latest technology . If you want to have an easy life here you need to drive a Toyota or Isuzu pickup and get technology the locals are familier with otherwise when things go wrong you get a lot of head scratching or delays waiting for spare parts.
Bangyai

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 31, 2015 10:37 am

Bangyai wrote:I was keen on getting an inverter this time around but for one reason not yet mentioned have regrettably vetoed it.

It has been stated earlier that all Mitsubishi agents must have qualified technicians to service their product.
I have had three Mitsubishi inverter air conditioners for three years and none have caused any problem whatsoever. I actually asked what would happen if one of them did go wrong and the simple reply was that they replace the chip board first, then see if there is a change, then they test the rest, but they do service the whole thing every 6 months anyway. They're pretty simple really, the compressor comes on strong at the start, feeds the coolant in quicker and then settles down quickly to a silent spin. They are not forever starting and stopping which causes large consumption of electricity, once they get the room to the required temperature they keep it at that by increasing the flow of coolant and speed of the compressor.
They are about 500 baht cheaper to run a month than a normal one from what I can work out.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Sun May 31, 2015 2:20 pm

I have almost all my a/c of Fujitsu, they are very quiet, their lowest speed is named "Quiet", really nothing heard. The noise of a/c was always the criterion for the choice. However, in the shops, where 1,000 dB of the stereos are pumped around, it is quite difficult to determine the noise anyway. Over 10 years no problem with them, apart of cleaning the filters.

I have 13,000 and 18,000 BTU in 2 large rooms 40 and 50 m2, not fully closed and 9,000 BTU in 2 other bed rooms 20 and 24 m2, and it is enough. However, we do not run so low as in bank offices where the clarks sit in sweaters and jackets, half of them coughing since catching cold.

The shop boys always ask for how many sq. meters? Whatever number you say they advise for 1 - 2 size higher than really necessary (the boys themselves mostly never having an a/c in their own room).

The dimensioning is depending rather on the situation of the outside walls (one or two or three? whether they are exposed to afternoon sunshine and have an insulation anyway) and on the insulation of the ceiling. The area size sq. meters is not so decisive.

The low sizes 9,000 and 13,000 are really no problem for the electric connection since they need very low power input (ca. 800 - 1,200 W). This is also one criterion that is to be regarded (if it can be believed).
Klondyke

PreviousNext

Return to cooling systems