Window and sliding door pricing

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Window and sliding door pricing

Postby Cheeryble » Sat May 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Threads here are getting a bit old and interested in prices for Aluminium both black or white.

I don't want the quality where the screen doors jump the tracks it has to be reasonably solid and pukkha....BUT I am on a strict budget.

I would like to make two one-room chalets which will need

3.6m wide sliding door set.
2.4 m sliding door set
About 6-8 windows of typical size.....is there a per meter cost?

Information on prices would be greatly appreciated.
It is in Chiangrai, and would greatly appreciate info about any supplier where i can go and compare types and qualities.

Thanks
Cheeryble

Re: Window and sliding door pricing

Postby eyecatcher » Sat May 23, 2015 1:24 pm

I cant help with suppliers in Chiang Rai as I am "Mai" man but I did some extensive research into prices for my windows and doors.
I have about 12 windows and large screens of varying sizes and wanted to compare aluminium v timber v pvc
I did the usual Global/Thai watsa off the shelf comparing and also several roadside made to measure.
apart from the timber; the other windows included the pre-requisite flyscreens.
most were priced according to area,and number of stiles/sashes but I averaged them all out.

aluminium:
location 1 1700bt/m2
location 2 1800bt/m2
australian EZY imported global 2500-3000bt/m2
location 3 3000bt/m2 (farang alert)

upvc
king khong brand 3000bt/m2 standard off the shelf(brown or white only)
Rakangthong brand 2000-2500/m2

Timber screen/doors
location 1 made to measure 2500-3000/m2
location 2 ditto 3500/m2
location 3 teak frame section priced at 550bt/m and genneral hardwood at 265bt/m (then you need to add glass etc)

for me I will go for brown aluminium and some real timber screens at the front; but unfortunatley you cannot often get your own windows to be standard otherwise i would have the pvc top quality.
For one or two I would suggest to check out the pvc ones at Global house; and see if you can manage with their off the shelf ones.
eyecatcher

Postby Cheeryble » Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm

eyecatcher wrote:I cant help with suppliers in Chiang Rai as I am "Mai" man but I did some extensive research into prices for my windows and doors.
I have about 12 windows and large screens of varying sizes and wanted to compare aluminium v timber v pvc
I did the usual Global/Thai watsa off the shelf comparing and also several roadside made to measure.
apart from the timber; the other windows included the pre-requisite flyscreens.
most were priced according to area,and number of stiles/sashes but I averaged them all out.

aluminium:
location 1 1700bt/m2
location 2 1800bt/m2
australian EZY imported global 2500-3000bt/m2
location 3 3000bt/m2 (farang alert)

upvc
king khong brand 3000bt/m2 standard off the shelf(brown or white only)
Rakangthong brand 2000-2500/m2

Timber screen/doors
location 1 made to measure 2500-3000/m2
location 2 ditto 3500/m2
location 3 teak frame section priced at 550bt/m and genneral hardwood at 265bt/m (then you need to add glass etc)

for me I will go for brown aluminium and some real timber screens at the front; but unfortunatley you cannot often get your own windows to be standard otherwise i would have the pvc top quality.
For one or two I would suggest to check out the pvc ones at Global house; and see if you can manage with their off the shelf ones.

Wonderful answer Eyecatcher thank you.

Much as I'd love timber it's the budget and the upkeep.
Likewise I think i'll go with black if poss and that with the price maybe pushes uPVC out.
It is completely countrified and I don't need to think of noise resistance of uPVC.......so I'm going to keep life simple and stick with Aluminium.

So we have two prices let's say 1750/m2

You mentioned Thai Watsadu you know I was there the other day and they showed me a 3.6 wide sliding door set and it was priced at 25,000.
I thought that was well above what is available, and your prices bear me out as at 1750/m2 it should be about 7.2 x 1750 = 12500 which funny enough when I first guessed the price I thought 13-14kbaht for a half reasonable quality.
That 13-14k was based on vague memory from renovating condos in the past, but of course that was sourced from a rather good "little man" window guy in CM who I would expect to be cheaper than the big stores.
That said I have seen some very reasonable windows in Global in uPVC I think they were.....at a price which seems competitive with Aluminium.......but I would really want to mix and match Alu and uPVC.

So Eyecatcher were those process form the big stores or a small man?

I guess the next question is to make sure that 1700-1800 price you give is for a reasonable quality and painted finish.
Obviously one doesn't get perfection but I would like for the windows and doors to close with some sort of clunk and certainly never squeak and run freely with at least a bit of weight to them.

Thanks again
Cheeryble

Postby canopy » Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 pm

I can't believe anyone in this climate would not have double glazing as a high priority. If not for the money savings from lessened A/C, for sure to dampen the noise all over Thailand which single glazing does not do. There is a recent thread on double glazing with prices charts from many manufacturers:

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4833&p=65645#p65645
canopy

Postby Cheeryble » Sat May 23, 2015 3:03 pm

canopy wrote:I can't believe anyone in this climate would not have double glazing as a high priority. If not for the money savings from lessened A/C, for sure to dampen the noise all over Thailand which single glazing does not do. There is a recent thread on double glazing with prices charts from many manufacturers:

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4833&p=65645#p65645

As i have lived in a wooden house with no glass, flyscreen only, in the windows and fan only cooling for ten years it's not a priority for me.
Of course I come from the bulldog breed as well :-)
No neighbours, no noise.
Cheeryble

Postby canopy » Sat May 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Cheeryble wrote:No neighbours, no noise.

Wow if you have no noise, I really envy you and it's the first time I have heard someone say that in Thailand. Village loud speaker systems, noisy motorcycles, school outdoor speakers, temple speakers, funeral speakers, dogs, election trucks, and trucks selling stuff with speakers are some of the things than can come into play no matter where one goes. And they are all turned up to the absolute maximum volume they can. So for most, it's nice to have the option of dampening such noises using double glazed windows.
canopy

Postby Cheeryble » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 pm

canopy wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:No neighbours, no noise.

Wow if you have no noise, I really envy you and it's the first time I have heard someone say that in Thailand. Village loud speaker systems, noisy motorcycles, school outdoor speakers, temple speakers, funeral speakers, dogs, election trucks, and trucks selling stuff with speakers are some of the things than can come into play no matter where one goes. And they are all turned up to the absolute maximum volume they can. So for most, it's nice to have the option of dampening such noises using double glazed windows.

It's a hilltop.
This will give some idea of the noise levels:

IMG_2004.JPG

BTW I slid past Thai Watsadu this afternoon and found that indeed their windows are not cheap I would say averaging 3000-5000up per m2
I think how they run is be very cheap for some basic items but make big profits on other stuff. This is not uncommon in the big store category I have seen it very much with Homepro which can be very competitive with some things but for say aircon charge the earth.
Cheeryble

Postby canopy » Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Cheeryble wrote:It's a hilltop.

Me too, a scantily developed hilltop with the village & nearest house far away. Being high makes it worse because the view is large and more noise sources are in a direct line. I can hear noise from kilometers away. So I don't get an idea from that picture of why it would be noise free. Also the noise situation can change rapidly, usually in the worse direction. Just surprised to see single pane windows being so common here. You may be fine though.
canopy

Postby Cheeryble » Sun May 24, 2015 12:57 am

canopy wrote:
Cheeryble wrote:It's a hilltop.

Me too, a scantily developed hilltop with the village & nearest house far away. Being high makes it worse because the view is large and more noise sources are in a direct line. I can hear noise from kilometers away. So I don't get an idea from that picture of why it would be noise free. Also the noise situation can change rapidly, usually in the worse direction. Just surprised to see single pane windows being so common here. You may be fine though.

I do agree that in say Thai villages or perhaps a noisy condo there's a good argument to make at least the bedroom soundproof as possible with appropriate walls and double glazing.
Cheeryble

Postby canopy » Sun May 24, 2015 10:12 am

I do agree that in say Thai villages or perhaps a noisy condo there's a good argument

I have to politely disagree that any of the noises I mentioned are specific to being inside villages or noisy condos. Every single one of them can apply even in remote locations. In fact remote locations have even more noises like field workers cranking up stereos while they work and running 2 stroke weed trimmers all day long. I like to hear crickets, birds, the rustling of leaves, and other sounds of nature. These are often spoiled from noise sources coming from a kilometer or more away or sometimes closer. Noise is a very, very big problem throughout Thailand. Right up there with smoke pollution as maybe the two worst and hardest to avoid problems living in Thailand.
canopy

Return to windows and doors