Screed

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Screed

Postby cooked » Tue May 12, 2015 8:03 am

I need to do a small section (7M2) of screed in a future bathroom. My neighbour insists that I have to sieve our builders' sand and use the finer part of the sand News to me, is there any basis in this? I was just going to level off a 1 to 4 mix after cleaning the rough concrete.
Otherwise, can I buy 'concrete screed in a tin'?
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Re: Screed

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 12, 2015 9:21 am

cooked wrote:I need to do a small section (7M2) of screed in a future bathroom. My neighbour insists that I have to sieve our builders' sand and use the finer part of the sand News to me, is there any basis in this?

Basically screed is the final finish after all the rough stuff has been done. If you use a power float it can give you that final finish without the screed coat if done properly. If you are laying PVC flooring and haven't power floated the concrete you'll have bumps and lumps appearing that make the final finish look like crap.
Sifting sand, especially builder's sand here in Thailand will take out all those lumps and bumps before they even get to the floor. If you've ever sifted sand you'll see many small rocks, hard lumps of sand and many other foreign objects in the sieve (normally made from flyscreen material). You would be suprised at the crap that gets in the sand.
Screeding is that flat final coat that gives a floor a finish. If you're laying tiles on top it stops all the little dips and bumps at the corners of the tiles (as long as the tiles are flat).
Even when cement rendering in Australia the sand is sifted.
To construct one takes minutes all you need is square made out of wood (normally) with two legs to prop it at an angle for single use. The sand is shovelled or "thrown" at the screen and allowed to run down to the ground. If you have two workers just mount the square on four legs and shovel the sand on top (third worker) as the sieve is moved back and forth. The junk and gunk will need to be emptied quite often and there will be a lot of it.
Your neighbour is right.
Roger Ramjet

Postby cooked » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 am

OK thanks, I will do that. I have seen the guys sieving through fly screen but had assumes that this was for the walls. I will be laying tiles.
I looked all over the web and only found references to sharp sand or builders' sand. It is true that the sand we get is pretty uneven in quality. This will be a small job but there are plenty of awkward coners so I prefer to do it myself.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby thailazer » Wed May 13, 2015 7:58 am

I think most builders just use the delivered truck sand. When tiles are laid in Thailand, the workers normally use a rather thick layer of concrete so any larger pebbles are not really an issue. Even for our polished floors, we used the truck sand, but in our area it was quite pure.
thailazer

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 13, 2015 10:52 am

cooked wrote:OK thanks, I will do that. I have seen the guys sieving through fly screen but had assumes that this was for the walls. I will be laying tiles.
I looked all over the web and only found references to sharp sand or builders' sand. It is true that the sand we get is pretty uneven in quality. This will be a small job but there are plenty of awkward coners so I prefer to do it myself.

Another way to screen the sand is to use water and mosquitoe netting as SWMBO's workers did. This keeps down the dust.

image.jpg

http://meekings.selfip.biz/nui/Groups-o ... e.html#262
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Wed May 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Normally its the women that do the hard work and sieve/screen the sand

pipoz
pipoz

Postby splitlid » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 am

both builders sand and sharp sand are available throughout the country.

sai yaarp - sharp sand.
and

sai let eeat - builders sand.

the thai for builders sand is wrong I know, but use the 2 in the shop and they will know what you want.

sai yarp.......mai........sai......ummmmm.......let eeat............

:?
something like that. :D

no need to sieve.
splitlid

Return to cement, concrete and mortar