Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby scudman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Ians wrote:Would you mind giving contact details (probably again) thanks

Wuttipong Tiensuwanno (A)
Address : 4 Soi Chaloemphrakiat Rokao 48 Yeak 11
Dokmai Prawet Bangkok 10250 Thailand
Mobile : +66 81 826 1024
Phone : +66 2 726 6505-6
Fax : +66 2 726 6707
Email : info@mrken-fan.com
scudman

Postby scudman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:09 pm

pipoz wrote:
I ended up buying three of these for the same reason, plus my two all Aluminium Helicopters for contract in the main rooms

pipoz

I do like that look. Are your ceilings and wall white? Is the fan the first thing you see when you walk in a room because of the dark color of the blades? Wondering if White/White would make them less obtrusive in the room?
scudman

Postby pipoz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:42 pm

scudman wrote:
pipoz wrote:
I ended up buying three of these for the same reason, plus my two all Aluminium Helicopters for contract in the main rooms

pipoz

I do like that look. Are your ceilings and wall white? Is the fan the first thing you see when you walk in a room because of the dark color of the blades? Wondering if White/White would make them less obtrusive in the room?

Yes my ceilings are all painted white at this stage and most of the light fittings that I choose, have a polished nickel plated trim, just to add a little contrasts to the white ceiling. Plus I choose some with a frosted white glass, again for a little contrast. Then I decided to add the Fans and make then stand out from the white ceiling background, more as a feature, in size and colour.

To have all the light fittings and the fans the same or similar colour to the white ceiling, would have made the whole ceiling area look too bland, in my view. If you have a quality ceiling fan, then why not make it a feature on that ceiling, hence the contrast in colour

We do the same with our Walls when we hang Paintings etc. I have never seen a Painting the same colour as the wall background that it is hung on :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
Typical Internal Bedroom and Living area Downlight.JPG
Typical Internal Bedroom and Living area Downlight
Main Bedroom Sleeping Area.jpg
Main Bedroom Sleeping Area
Main Bedroom Living Area.jpg
Main Bedroom Living Area
pipoz

Postby scudman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Roof material arrived this evening. A 24 hour drive from Bangkok. Of course the long bed truck could not make it down our access road, so we had to use the land next to us across the khlong. A local crane truck met us there to unload the Colourbond. Some of the load could be placed on the roof steel in the approximate location that it will go. Other loads had to be placed on the ground. But with the truck unloaded and on its way back to Bangkok, the truck crane came around up the access road on onto the land to move the loads on the ground to the proper place on the roof.

The job foreman mentioned that they were going to start work tonight, and I had the wife quickly call the boss and put a stop to that. I don't want them working in the dark and measuring and installing my roof with just a full moon. And it is hardly safe to be working 5 meters in the air in the dark.

I am going out first thing in the morning to make sure the material is being handled correctly. I already yelled at one guy that was dragging a load along the beams trying to position it. Should have a roof on in 2 days I am told.
Attachments
P1010980.JPG
Placing in approximate location.
P1010977.JPG
Unloading from next door
P1010973.JPG
The material arrives
scudman

Postby scudman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 pm

The lid is 90% complete. It looks like he calculated the material a little bit wrong so there was not enough of the curved material to finish covering the great room. Still some trimming to do on overhangs as well. He is supposed to come back in a few days to finish trimming and do the paint touch up as well. Need to check with him on when the PU foam is going on. I want to be there for that process. Then at the end of the month, after PU foam, the flashing arrives and all the roof edges get finished off. Then gutters. Going to go with painted galvanized. Just cannot afford Zincalume. Way over budget now.
Attachments
P1010989.JPG
Portico lid on, but still needs a bit of trimming on the right and front.
P1010987.JPG
Carport roof looks good.
P1010985.JPG
Back of carport going on.
scudman

Postby scudman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 pm

2nd day of PU foam spraying. 2 more days to finish I think. The guys putting up the wood to secure the overhang soffit are rushing to stay ahead of the guy spraying. I think they are going to lose and have to do some scraping of PU off the frames.

The guy uses a stick with a 2 inch nail taped to the end to check the depth of the foam. Yes that is a plastic bag over his head instead of a respirator.
Attachments
IMG_0868.JPG
scudman

Postby kknaj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:51 pm

I saw one company from Bangkok put glad wrap around their face while wearing the respirator too because there is too much spray back onto the mask. I guess the plastic bag is the easiest way to keep the face clean.

What brand and model spray machine are they using by the way?
kknaj

Postby scudman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 pm

[quote="kknaj"

What brand and model spray machine are they using by the way?[/quote]

No respirator or mask at all. Just a plastic bag. I have no idea what make or model. I will look when I check on progress this afternoon.
scudman

Postby scudman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:03 am

kknaj wrote: What brand and model spray machine are they using by the way?

I saw no Model or Brand name on the equipment. An air compressor and a mixing unit for a two part mixture.
The equipment looks like this:

What a mess this whole process makes. Over-spray gets everywhere in spite of the black plastic used to curb it. My throat got sore just being out there for 15 minutes yesterday. I cannot imagine working in that environment for days on end without full respiratory protection.

Supposed to finish up today. I have to go back out to the site and do some depth poking with the stick and nail to make sure I have good coverage everywhere. Must remember to take face mask at least.
Attachments
P1020002.JPG
scudman

Postby scudman » Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 am

Roof guy is supposed to be out on site today or tomorrow to finish up the edge trimming, install the final 10 curved roof pieces on top and start the installation of the fascia flashing and trim. Expect that will take 3 days. He has some tricky work to do to make a couple of places where the roof connects to the guest rooms look good.

Doors and widows to be installed this week as well. PSD came out last week to measure up the finished openings and determine the FFH for the door measurements. Elected to have the windows installed flush on the inside with any sill on the outside. Was told the installation will take only 4 days. They will come back after the inside is done with paint and tile to do any adjustments deemed necessary to closures and locks and to install the fly screens.
scudman

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 05, 2015 9:31 am

scudman,
Windows should be flush with the outside wall. Here's the reason why with thousands of references. http://www.google.co.th/search?client=s ... mQX_-oDAAw
Roger Ramjet

Postby scudman » Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:scudman,
Windows should be flush with the outside wall. Here's the reason why with thousands of references. http://www.google.co.th/search?client=s ... mQX_-oDAAw

Hmmmm. Thanks Roger. Seems to be 2 schools of thought. Some say innies and some say outies. I suppose the rain accumulation on the outside sill could be a problem. Maybe I will have the contractor put some mortar on the sill to angle it down, but with 1.6 meter overhangs on the roof, the rain will have to be coming in sideways to even get my windows wet. Sill drip thingies my be an answer as well if there is water accumulation in the future.
scudman

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 05, 2015 10:02 am

scudman wrote:Sill drip thingies my be an answer as well if there is water accumulation in the future.

Even with an overhand on my windows they still get blasted by the rain. What you don't need is pooling of any sort, the water must be free to run away otherwise it will stain, get between the smallest of cracks and destroy whatever is inside, especially paint. I used aluminum windows with a lip that overhangs the outside. All my window sills inside are wall papered and there is not a mark on the wall paper which tells me I made the right choice.
If just one of your proposed inside windows is not sealed properly you will sustain water damage, have leaks and be pissed off I didn't say anything. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 05, 2015 11:48 am

scudman wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:scudman,

Hmmmm. Thanks Roger. Seems to be 2 schools of thought. Some say innies and some say outies. I suppose the rain accumulation on the outside sill could be a problem. Maybe I will have the contractor put some mortar on the sill to angle it down, but with 1.6 meter overhangs on the roof, the rain will have to be coming in sideways to even get my windows wet. Sill drip thingies my be an answer as well if there is water accumulation in the future.

You are building in problems for yourself if you do not address water accumulation on an outside surface before fitting windows. No amount of reasonable overhang will stop rain hitting an outside wall.

The windows do not need to be flush with either the inside or outside, but the do need a sloped runoff area if they are not flush to the outside wall. Trying to retrofit the correct slope and waterproof it often fails badly or looks what it is "a bodge job"

If you take a look at the profile in the white window section in the picture in the link you will see that it has the profile built in. The sill comes in different widths to permit different setbacks from the front of the wall.

image.jpg
Window sill + drip grove
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Tue May 05, 2015 2:47 pm

After 3 years with a number of major storms resulting a few unexpected roof leaks, never any sign of leaks at the windows. The frames were carefully sealed with silicone against the brickwork - so far so good.
Attachments
20150505_115031-1.jpg
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story