Air conditioning ducts

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Air conditioning ducts

Postby cooked » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Is there any reason why I shouldn't move the external A/C unit and tape on more duct? Is it better to just buy new duct so that there isn't a join? It can't be that difficult, can it?
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Re: Air conditioning ducts

Postby cooked » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Ah well, not even a don't know. Never mind I will sort ot out somehow. Thanks guys.
cooked

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:42 pm

cooked wrote:Is there any reason why I shouldn't move the external A/C unit and tape on more duct? Is it better to just buy new duct so that there isn't a join? It can't be that difficult, can it?

Since AC in most places in Thailand doesn't use ducts your question doesn't make sense to me. They are split systems.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby cooked » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 pm

we obviously don't speak the same language.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_%28flow%29
Ducts are used in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) to deliver and remove air. The needed airflows include, for example, supply air, return air, and exhaust air.[1]Ducts commonly also deliver ventilation air as part of the supply air. As such, air ducts are one method of ensuring acceptable indoor air quality as well as thermal comfort.
cooked

Postby schuimpge » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 pm

cooked wrote:we obviously don't speak the same language.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_%28flow%29
Ducts are used in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) to deliver and remove air. The needed airflows include, for example, supply air, return air, and exhaust air.[1]Ducts commonly also deliver ventilation air as part of the supply air. As such, air ducts are one method of ensuring acceptable indoor air quality as well as thermal comfort.

Well, seems you don't have a duct...errr clue of basic acceptable communication on a public forum but I'll give it a try.
Yes, I understand your meaning of an HVAC system (and I am sure SometimesWoodworker could install you one by himself) and I understand fully what the basic parts are.
However, most if not all of the houses in Thailand don't have 'duct systems'...They have a decentralized system with an outside compressor unit and an inside 'head-unit' connected by 2 copper pipes, not ducts. So if you mean to say that you want to move the compressor to another location.. Yes.. That certainly is possible by re-routing the compressor's copper pipes.
However, the more you move it away from the head-unit inside, the less efficient your AC system will be.
schuimpge

Postby pipoz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:13 pm

cooked wrote:Is there any reason why I shouldn't move the external A/C unit and tape on more duct? Is it better to just buy new duct so that there isn't a join? It can't be that difficult, can it?

Are you talking about extending a sheet metal duct or extending a flexi duct (presumably from the AC unit to where it enters the house)?

A picture of your current External AC Unit (its outlet size) and an idea of how far you want to move it, might explain it better?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 am

schuimpge wrote:
cooked wrote:we obviously don't speak the same language.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_%28flow%29

Well, seems you don't have a duct...errr clue of basic acceptable communication on a public forum but I'll give it a try.
Yes, I understand your meaning of an HVAC system (and I am sure SometimesWoodworker could install you one by himself) and I understand fully what the basic parts are.
However, most if not all of the houses in Thailand don't have 'duct systems'...They have a decentralized system with an outside compressor unit and an inside 'head-unit' connected by 2 copper pipes, not ducts. So if you mean to say that you want to move the compressor to another location.. Yes.. That certainly is possible by re-routing the compressor's copper pipes.
However, the more you move it away from the head-unit inside, the less efficient your AC system will be.

Thanks for making my point clear, (BTW I'm not as competent as you think :wink: ) that is commonly called a "split" system. And if you need to move the 2 parts away from each other, of course you will not be able to use tape to extend the pipe and there's no duct involved in a split system.

However we may all resemble "cooked's" signature and he may have one of the only houses with an HVAC system in Thailand :D In which case, of course, ducting can be extended by using screws and duct tape to join it together but it will probably have to be imported it as I've never seen it in Thailand.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:19 am

To be clear. HVAC systems have an exterior unit that is connected by pipe (not duct) to the central unit. It is good practice to have a continuous pipe with no joins.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby cooked » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:40 am

So I can't use duct tape to repair the pipe. Right, I worked it out,
cooked

Return to cooling systems