Wall Mounted AC Compressors

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Wall Mounted AC Compressors

Postby thailazer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Don't do it! Have lived in Thailand for ten years and have always had a very hard time hearing the pad mounted compressors. Now we are in a rental house and the bedroom AC compressor is mounted to the outside brick wall. Man, it is loud when it turns on! The wall makes an excellent sounding board so you can hear it any time it is running. Back in our build, I always wanted to put an LED on the indoor unit so that I would know when the compressor is running. Definitely not needed when you use a wall mount! For all of you working on a new build, mount those compressors on the ground, not on the wall.
thailazer

Re: Wall Mounted AC Compressors

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:33 pm

image.jpg
Wall mounted exterior unit

Why not, if you have a quality unit. Yours must be a cheap or old unit. I can only hear this one if everything else is turned off, even a fan on slow speed masks the sound.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby thailazer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:45 pm

Well, it is a three year old Mitsubishi, so I would have thought it would be quiet. It is mounted lower on the wall, but don't see how that would make a difference. Must be something about how the house was constructed, as there is no doubt when it is running.
thailazer

Postby Shastadad » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 am

I wasn't all that concerned by the noise factor but can't help but feel that the wall mounted units restrict the air flow, and heat is the enemy of any appliance. The pads for the two downstairs units only cost me 1,500 THB for both (only real deal that my builder gave me :roll: ) and the two units upstairs are on unusable deck space

AC pads.png
Shastadad

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Shastadad wrote:I wasn't all that concerned by the noise factor but can't help but feel that the wall mounted units restrict the air flow, and heat is the enemy of any appliance.

Mitsubishi must have agreed, their wall mounts are now longer and have better bracing to take the weight.
Some of the noise vibration can be dampened by using the new rubber mounts that are dirt cheap at any air condition shop.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Shastadad wrote:I wasn't all that concerned by the noise factor but can't help but feel that the wall mounted units restrict the air flow, and heat is the enemy of any appliance. The pads for the two downstairs units only cost me 1,500 THB for both (only real deal that my builder gave me :roll: ) and the two units upstairs are on unusable deck space

It looks to me as if the distance to the wall on your units is very similar to the distance on my wall mounted one. So that seems not to be a factor now.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Shastadad » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:43 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
It looks to me as if the distance to the wall on your units is very similar to the distance on my wall mounted one. So that seems not to be a factor now.

Unfortunately the picture in post #1 shows that the heat from the unit is going to rise up and be trapped in the rafters so the distance from the wall is not the only criteria. Circulating air around the unit is of equal importance to distance from the wall

So I still feel that hanging A/C units on walls in not the best practice if you have alternatives, and a little forethought when building this should not be a problem
Shastadad

Return to cooling systems