Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Postby oil » Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Makmak456 wrote:well post it here for us non-google types :)

i just dint know what BTU was,
oil

Postby pipoz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Best Split Units: Are Samsung, Mitsubishi & General (in no particular order. We use them in our site offices and it gets to 55 Degrees for one month and a good four 45 Degrees for 3 -4 other months. We run them up to 12 hours a day and over an 8 month period and the seem to last. That's works out to about 2400 hours a year, probably 2 - 3 times more that what you will run an A/C unit in Thailand. We only re-gas them once a year and most just need a top up.

Worst Split Units: Are York - always breaking down and only last for 18 months at best. Also stay clear of Westinghouse - whilst they perform & are quite, they but are real bastards when the condensate drain blocks up - You virtually have to strip the unit apart to clear the drain blockage.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Shastadad » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Nothing in Thailand is reliable, some are just more reliable than others

But the one constant is that I have never seen an air conditioning unit in this country that had any lower than a "5" on the energy rating sticker

energy guide.jpg
energy guide.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Shastadad

Postby thailazer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 am

We've been very happy with our 15,000 BTU Hitachi. Just had it cleaned and topped off yesterday so should be good for another two years. Did not appear to need any coolant but it is part of the standard maintenance.
thailazer

Postby faranghunk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:59 am

I bought a Samsung Inverter Aircon unit from Siam TV Co. in Chiang Mai about 18 months ago for my new house. I have to say it has been a total disaster. It had a lot of repair work done under the one year warranty but after that ran out I had to start paying expensive repair bills. I will never buy another Samsung Aircon again and I feel like 'biting the bullet' and purchasing and installing another new unit of another brand. I have been told by an engineer that Samsung Aircons are very unreliable. Maybe LG , Hitachi , Daikin , Trane , Mitsubishi are all more reliable.
faranghunk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:19 am

faranghunk wrote:I will never buy another Samsung Aircon again and I feel like 'biting the bullet' and purchasing and installing another new unit of another brand. I have been told by an engineer that Samsung Aircons are very unreliable. Maybe LG , Hitachi , Daikin , Trane , Mitsubishi are all more reliable.

I have three inverter Mitsubishi air conditioners in my house that are cheap to run, reliable and whisper quiet. They have had free servicing now for 2 years....which just included cleaning. Very reliable in my opinion.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Shastadad » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:10 pm

I don't think that it is Samsung that is the problem, it may be the inverter type that is causing you trouble. The advice that I got, from multiple sources, was to stay away from inverters because they had too many parts that went bad since they were so complicated. Plus the electric savings are minimal in a humid country such as Thailand, but I am sure the Roger will be able to clarify that
Shastadad

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Shastadad wrote:Plus the electric savings are minimal in a humid country such as Thailand, but I am sure the Roger will be able to clarify that

I based the savings compared to what I had at the townhouse. I had three airconditioners there with smaller BTU ratings than the ones I now have. My bill there was over 5,000 baht a month. Here it is about 3,000 - 3,500 and we use the air conditioners about the same.... and my daughter and wife leave the doors open a lot more. And here two of the air conditioners are bigger (BTU wise), but as the three are only three years old they are much newer than the other air conditioners at the townhouse. The downside was they were more expensive but I've recouped that money already. The shop that installed them also services them and I've never heard them complain about being too complicated.
I think Samsung raced into the air conditioner market without the research. It's a little like their cell phones that the touch screen still doesn't work on. All they wanted was to make a quick buck. They should have stuck to TV's.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 am

I have had a Samsung for two and a half years now, and not a hint of a problem. Very quite and cools the room with ease.

I would also buy Mitsubishi, but I would never buy LG or Westinghouse

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi, I have decided to go for the Mitsubishi, Econo Mr. Slim models

Home-pro have a special on
MIT MS GK09VA 9206.6BTU ECONO TB 17,300 Installed
MIT MS GK13VA 12430.6BTU ECONO TB 20,300 Installed
MIT MS GJ24VA 23665.97BTU ECONO TB 43,000 Installed

Has anyone recently bought or used them

pipoz
Attachments
TB 20300 MIT MS GK13VA  12430.6BTU ECONO.jpg
MIT MS GK13VA 12430.6BTU ECONO Mr Slim
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:50 pm

We've just installed a MIT MS GK09VA into a poorly insulated room at 512BTU per sq metre and it is easily able to cope.
SWMBO is very happy with it.

If you want to oversize the units then MSY-GK series inverters could be better but they are 20% more expensive
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:We've just installed a MIT MS GK09VA into a poorly insulated room at 512BTU per sq metre and it is easily able to cope.

If you want to oversize the units then MSY-GK series inverters could be better but they are 20% more expensive

Thanks, can I ask what is the area and volume of that room

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:26 pm

pipoz wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:We've just installed a MIT MS GK09VA into a poorly insulated room at 512BTU per sq metre and it is easily able to cope.

pipoz

17.5sqm and 40cum

For a well insulated room I would consider it is significantly oversized.

It's bigger than needed for the room it's in, but it's the smallest available Mr Sim

I've found a calculator that might help

http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculato ... &x=67&y=14
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
pipoz wrote:

pipoz

17.5sqm and 40cum

For a well insulated room I would consider it is significantly oversized.

It's bigger than needed for the room it's in, but it's the smallest available Mr Sim

I've found a calculator that might help

http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculato ... &x=67&y=14

Thanks, several of my room areas are also 17.5m2 but my room Volume is 54m3m so I will step up to the Mitsubishi MS-GK13VA 12430.6 BTU BTU Model

Another room is 32.5 m2 or 100 m3, so I will use two units in this room, a MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU at one end and a MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU at the other for more even cool air distribution, rather than just have one large MS-GK24VA 23665.97BTU Model

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 pm

pipoz wrote:Thanks, several of my room areas are also 17.5m2 but my room Volume is 54m3m so I will step up to the Mitsubishi MS-GK13VA 12430.6 BTU BTU Model

Another room is 32.5 m2 or 100 m3, so I will use two units in this room, a MIT MS-GK13VA 12430.6BTU at one end and a MIT MS-GK09VA 9206.6BTU at the other for more even cool air distribution, rather than just have one large MS-GK24VA 23665.97BTU Model

pipoz

Unless you have to get them installed all a once I would try one in one of your 17.5m2 rooms, as I think you are probably oversizing. And unless you get an inverter it's a bad idea to do that, and even with inverters significant oversizing isn't very good.

Also don't forget that there is a long/wide version for bigger rooms.

http://www.topcoolair.com/index.php?lay ... 20&Ntype=8
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to cooling systems