Understanding the numbers on a Chanote

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Stoace

Understanding the numbers on a Chanote

Post by Stoace »

I am in the planning phase for my house build in the Khon Kaen area of Thailand.

My wife has sent me a picture of the chanote for our land and I want to convert the numbers into dimension so I can make sure the draft house design fits and to play around with the orientation.

Despite endless searches I can't find an explanation of how to take the numbers on the chanote and convert it into dimensions!

Can anyone help

Thanks
pipoz

Re: Understanding the numbers on a Chanote

Post by pipoz »

Stoace wrote:I am in the planning phase for my house build in the Khon Kaen area of Thailand.

My wife has sent me a picture of the chanote for our land and I want to convert the numbers into dimension so I can make sure the draft house design fits and to play around with the orientation.

Despite endless searches I can't find an explanation of how to take the numbers on the chanote and convert it into dimensions!

Can anyone help

Thanks
Been there, done that and couldn't relate the Thai numbers on the Chanote paper to any coordinates, longitude, latitude or distance, so gave up and got the TG to hire the local Surveyor.

For TB 3,000 I got a drawing/sketch from him with the dimensions on all sides and internal angles and all boundary changes in direction. Then did my house positioning on the block.

pipoz
Sometimewoodworker

Post by Sometimewoodworker »

Stoace wrote:I am in the planning phase for my house build in the Khon Kaen area of Thailand.

Can anyone help

Thanks
I Just asked SWMBO and the answer is you can't because it only gives you the area in "Rai" or "talang war". Probably the land office has the numbers but they are not listed on the chanote.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Stoace wrote:My wife has sent me a picture of the chanote for our land and I want to convert the numbers into dimension so I can make sure the draft house design fits and to play around with the orientation.

When we purchased our 100 wah of land it was clearly marked on the chanote that the "lot" was 100 wah, which was actually not true.
Prior to having the land surveyed I measured the land from marker peg to marker peg and it actually came to 103-4 wah. I then had it privately surveyed and found the later to be true.
I'm not sure where it gave the exact dimensions on the Chanote, but it gave them (in Thai), but if you start here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864 (sorry for the long winded write-up) I think you'll find all the details and an explanation, including photos.
Shastadad

Post by Shastadad »

Same here. The "meets and bounds" on the Chanote may not be what is true and correct on site

I am in a development and the land plots were done for the whole development at one time and did not include the "common area" such as walls between houses or the perimeter wall. By following the "fence line" of the other houses on my street we gained approximately 3 meters X 20 meters in lawn and garden space. Considering the prices of land in this country this was a windfall

So it is worth the money to have a survey done to give you the exact dimensions. And really 3,000 THB for a survey is chicken feed. Have it done by the Land Office (inexpensive unless you wan't "rush" service) and you will be able to use that survey for any possible boundary disputes later on