After Render - Sealing

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

After Render - Sealing

Postby regknick » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 am

Can anybody suggest (I've searched and not found) an after render waterproofing/sealer for an external perimeter wall?

The render team didn't add any of the waterproofing agent supposedly and I'm now watching the wall soak up buckets of water every day.

If you have pics and/or brand product names it would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming we'll have to roll or brush it on.

Cheers
regknick

Re: After Render - Sealing

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:01 am

Hard to see how you are ever going to stop that after the fact. :?
You may "paint" a waterproof membrane/paint onto the wall but it will still absorb water from its base.
Wish you luck on that one.
Andyfteeze

Postby regknick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:18 am

Andyfteeze wrote:Hard to see how you are ever going to stop that after the fact. :?
You may "paint" a waterproof membrane/paint onto the wall but it will still absorb water from its base.
Wish you luck on that one.

And the waterproof membrane paint is known by what name/brand? Colorless please.

Fwiw, the base was built 10 years ago and is still holding strong.

The issue is the add-on 1.2m high extension.
regknick

Postby Andyfteeze » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:53 am

The stuff i have used in the past was called K10.
However, you will still get "wicking" from the base if it sits on the ground.
The only way i can see is to flood the render with a sealer and let it soak in. May cost more than the wall to do effectively. But you still will get water wicking through the base underneath undermining the render.
Personally, its a futile effort in an uncontrollable environment.
How long has the tender been on? If its only a short time, wait a month or so for it to settle and dry out. Then have another look.
Andyfteeze

Postby regknick » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks for the thoughts. It's been a bit over a month now but it's been raining longer than usual. We'll wait for the floods to end and then have a look again. Cheers.
regknick

Return to cement, concrete and mortar