None Electric AC Solutions .... (Passive Cooling)

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

None Electric AC Solutions .... (Passive Cooling)

Postby oil » Wed May 14, 2014 3:33 am

while i was looking around / planning on my building i came across a total different idea, and i couldnt find any trace of it here on the forum, and thought i d share it, cause they idea is brilliant i believe .... all those belong to the passive cooling section basically ...

So they use it in Dubai since hundreds of years where they have a good 48 C over the day
they are called Badgir / Windtowers / Windcatcher ... found it with several names

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher

Scematics:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... g-1_DE.svg

on researching that a bit more i came across a similar thingie, which is even far more advanced, i could find it only in german language, but its a short video and the pictures are the important thingie here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppzxRmcgjBM

the really cool thing is that they say that the air coming from those Air Wells, is 15-18 C cooler then outside in summer season, in winter season its 2 C warmer then outside .... so it creates a nice balance and so far it seems to be a great solution, although i just figured none electric is not true you still need a fan to suck the air of the cooling area

what you guys think?
oil

Re: None Electric AC Solutions .... (Passive Cooling)

Postby thailazer » Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 am

Oil.... Those are great ideas, and I did look into it a few years ago. The problem in Thailand is that the incoming air is humid and as it cools, it condenses. The condensate water you can deal with using a water drainage system, but apparently the big problem is mold and snails. The temperature and humidity is perfect for huge mold growth which is hard to deal with in those air tubes. The concept would definitely work.

The most novel application I have seen from centuries ago used a large flat brick chimney on the sunny side of the house. It would heat up and air inside would rise. The bottom of the chimney had a suction hole to the house, and the other side of the house had underground air tubes supplying supplying air t that went underground to a filter house. All passive cooling!
thailazer

Postby oil » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am

thx thailazer, i ll get the thing with the humidty but havent really figured my best cure for it :D
i was watching over humidty the past weeks and figured that i feel just much better with less humidty in the air,.

I also figured, that some ventilation at higher spots is absolutly crucial, otherwise the heat which collected over the day cannot get out,
but then i ve see that over the nighttime the temperature in the night time cools down to 26 C here, but unlucky for me the humidity in the nighttime gets very very high, 70%+

i just seen some also alternative AC what they use in Greenhouses.
its corrugated cardboard slabs they make wet, and when it evaporates it cools, and they use fans to cool the greenhouse to the optimal growing temperature of 25 C
http://youtu.be/fT1hry-F_Zg?t=52m56s

however with that method i might add only to the humidity, so not sure if that is a good idea after all.
oil

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:02 pm

oil wrote:its corrugated cardboard slabs they make wet, and when it evaporates it cools, and they use fans to cool the greenhouse to the optimal growing temperature of 25 C

If they use fans it's not passive cooling.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 am

Check out a site called Gizmag magazine. Last week i saw a reincarnation of this very idea to generate power.
Water on cardboard and a fan? Hahahahah Coolgardie safe, or evaperative cooling to use a general term.
Not effective in a high humidity environment. To reduce the humidity, nothing comes close to reverse cycle air con.
Fan assisted passive cooling at a bare minimum. Sorry to spoil the party.
Andyfteeze

Postby rubik101 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:21 pm

<Please do not make duplicate posts on several threads - mod>
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Return to cooling systems