Transferring Vehicle Ownership

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Transferring Vehicle Ownership

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi,

When it comes to buying a vehicle which is currently registered and insured in another Province (say 400 kms away), does anyone know what the Seller has to do at their end first and if they need any specific documentation from the Buyer to do it (fill in the necessary transfer Forms etc)?

Plus does the Seller have to travel to Udon and jointly with the Buyer, go down to the Udon Office to transfer and register the car, together. My understanding is that the Udon Office will want to inspect the car and check its body plate number/engine number and ownership details (Blue Book) before the Udon Office will transfer the ownership/re-register the car in the Buyers name.Hence the car and the Seller will need to travel to the Udon Office along wit the Buyer?

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Re: Transferring Vehicle Ownership

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:23 pm

pipoz wrote:When it comes to buying a vehicle which is currently registered and insured in another Province (say 400 kms away), does anyone know what the Seller has to do at their end first and if they need any specific documentation from the Buyer to do it (fill in the necessary transfer Forms etc)?

When Geordie bought my wife's "Issan truck" we all went to the Nontharburi motor vehicles registry office, put the ute over the pits, signed all the documents, paid the fees and then, because my wife's name was in the book, she signed the notice of transfer that Geordie's wife sent her some two weeks later.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Transferring Vehicle Ownership

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:When it comes to buying a vehicle which is currently registered and insured in another Province (say 400 kms away), does anyone know what the Seller has to do at their end first and if they need any specific documentation from the Buyer to do it (fill in the necessary transfer Forms etc)?

When Geordie bought my wife's "Issan truck" we all went to the Nontharburi motor vehicles registry office, put the ute over the pits, signed all the documents, paid the fees and then, because my wife's name was in the book, she signed the notice of transfer that Geordie's wife sent her some two weeks later.

Thanks Roger, knew I could count on you for an answer

pipoz
pipoz

Return to Life in Thailand