evaporator single unti or multiple units

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: evaporator single unti or multiple units

Postby fredlk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:50 pm

arranp wrote: this chap has cools his house by convection only

I also 'cool' my house by convection only.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:20 pm

what are your thoughts on the passive solar house?
arranp

Postby fredlk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:31 pm

arranp wrote:what are your thoughts on the passive solar house?

Overkill. The solutions in my house are far simpler although north facing and good insulation are part of it.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:38 pm

mine is south facing.

I would like to continue these discussionson my thread in the my build story folder/group. As i'm informed that is tha appropriate place.
arranp

Postby arranp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:03 pm

fredlk wrote:

Overkill. The solutions in my house are far simpler although north facing and good insulation are part of it.

Thank you, I'm interested to read, what are the pages for solution used in your house ?
arranp

Postby fredlk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 pm

arranp wrote:
fredlk wrote:

Thank you, I'm interested to read, what are the pages for solution used in your house ?

Somewhere early on I mention the design criteria. Page 7, page 16 and maybe elsewhere.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:07 pm

seems like white colourbond metal sheet roofing combined with pu foam insulation is the way to go.

funny enough, I came across something similar this afternoon, a chap painted his roof tiles white.

next I want to work on ventilation and air-flow within the home, some talk of a central house-fan, to re-place the internal air every few minutes, a solar chimney can achieve the same thing, however it only works from around midday onwards.
arranp

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 pm

arranp wrote:seems like white colourbond metal sheet roofing combined with pu foam insulation is the way to go.

funny enough, I came across something similar this afternoon, a chap painted his roof tiles white.

next I want to work on ventilation and air-flow within the home, some talk of a central house-fan, to re-place the internal air every few minutes, a solar chimney can achieve the same thing, however it only works from around midday onwards.

Solar tower works 24/7 as it is an opening up high, warm air going up and cooler air replacing it. with a wirly-bird on top it also works on windy days with no sun..
consider a fan at your ground floor level with a temperature controlled relay switching it on to push cool air into the house at night in combination with the solar tower.
(got the relay, fan and tested it, waiting for some time to install it. Relay works on 5 volt, so I only need a phone charger to supply it. The other end will control a 220v Fan in the wall.)
schuimpge

Postby arranp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Got some temperature readings taken today at 3pm.

31.0*C / 87.8*F ambient air temp (taken from thermometer fixed on shaded balcony)
29.5*C / 85.1*F water temperature from pool exposed to direct sunlight
26.5*C / 79.7*F water temperature from concrete water tank under house ( few thousand litres )

any suggestions ?

My thoughts : run x number of metres of air pipe coiled around the base of the concrete tank under the house. The pipe inlet to take in ambient air, the pipe outlet to be several vents several at the floor of the house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher

Upward aIr suction to be supplied via solar chimney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_chimney
arranp

Previous

Return to cooling systems