Det Udom Cooler Home idea's

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Det Udom Cooler Home idea's

Postby AK49 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:58 am

fredlk wrote:
Ians wrote:
Back to cooling ideas. When I was researching building while living in Bangkok, the only things I came up were based on perceived levels of comfort rather than lowering of temperature. I do hope that when my pool and ponds are built and with them being in the shade at all times, I might be lucky enough to get the nighttime temperature down another couple of degrees.

-
-
I have been thinking of building a home at my wife's farm on stilts over the pond. Figured to have fountains floating in the pond spray the bottom of the house slab with water. I'm going to check the pond water temp as opposed to the air temp. I figure the slab should be at least 4' above the high water level for air flow and shade the whole pond water surface.
AK49

Re: Update of idea's

Postby AK49 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:17 am

Did some checking and it seams you only want the slab about 3o cooler then the air temp desired.

This is a site with paint that will reflect some of the heat.
Planet Supro Nano Solar reflective paint
http://www.jetro.go.jp/ttpp/EAN.CR07_EAN?id=1129938

Thinking about an water to air device. Tanks not necessary, just sheets of aluminum with copper tubing for water flow in-between and then conduit for air flow. The sheet would move the temp from the 1/2" copper pipe to the 1/2" galvanized conduit. I figure 100' of copper loops between each sheet with 7 tubes of galvanized conduit between each loop. Aluminum sheets could be rather thin, bout like whats used to make outside walls on insulated, refrigerated vans. Probably something like 20gage.

Air to Air
With the culvert about 2' in diameter I could make plates to hold about 7 to 9 - 4" pipes a couple inches separating each other in the center with alternating top, then bottom holes in the positioning plates for the outgoing air to flow around the incoming air pipes. 9 - 4" would carry the same volume of air as a 12" pipe I believe. 7 pipes would fit nicely with 1 in the center and 6 in a circle around it. 9 would be 3 stacks of 3.
The outgoing air would move slower (I think less than half the speed) then the incoming air. (1 - 24" pipe will carry 3 x 12" pipe volume)
After reflection this might be the only Air to Air unit needed.

Powerful, Quiet Fans for air movement.
http://www.fantech.net
&
http://shop.panasonic.com

AK49
AK49

Postby AK49 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Misting systems - All about

http://www.alloutcool.com/misting-system.html

Anyone know how these work in Thailand?
AK49

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:30 pm

AK49 wrote:Anyone know how these work in Thailand?

The same way the body sweats to cool itself.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:57 pm

All these misting fans sold plentifully now in Thailand are good in an open area, or a large hall. Once you have it in a room you will sweat a lot.
Klondyke

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 pm

Klondyke wrote:All these misting fans sold plentifully now in Thailand are good in an open area, or a large hall. Once you have it in a room you will sweat a lot.

They were designed for open areas and used extensively during the Sydney Olympics with glowing reports.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Klondyke wrote:All these misting fans sold plentifully now in Thailand are good in an open area, or a large hall. Once you have it in a room you will sweat a lot.

They were designed for open areas and used extensively during the Sydney Olympics with glowing reports.

We have had a misting fan using an ultrasonic system to provide water mist. It doesn't have the spray system. We use it in our bedroom, it is cooler with the mist than without, so I sweat less with the mist on than with it off

image.jpg
Mist on and fan on

image.jpg
Mist on fan off

The fan is quiet which is important and was under ฿5k. If we need more fans I would buy the same system.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby AK49 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:59 am

Quote Jerome
"We have had a misting fan using an ultrasonic system to provide water mist. It doesn't have the spray system. We use it in our bedroom, it is cooler with the mist than without, so I sweat less with the mist on than with it off"
"The fan is quiet which is important and was under ฿5k. If we need more fans I would buy the same system."

Tnks Jerome
I've not heard of the ultrasonic system before. I will have to look into it. Looks like it wouldn't use much water.
Also would be the quietest for a sleeping situation I would think.
4 more months till I'm back in Thailand so I can try it out.
AK49 Skip
AK49

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:13 am

AK49 wrote:Quote Jerome
Tnks Jerome
I've not heard of the ultrasonic system before. I will have to look into it. Looks like it wouldn't use much water.
Also would be the quietest for a sleeping situation I would think.
4 more months till I'm back in Thailand so I can try it out.
AK49 Skip

The water container holds about ½ to ¾ of a litre of water and lasts about 7+ hours, I haven't timed it. It was the less expensive of the 2 models at ThaiWatsadu the more expensive one was very similar except that it had a holder for the liquid mosquito repellant. We decided that breathing the fumes wasn't a good idea :roll: so went for the less expensive one.

We didn't go in for a misting fan we just wanted to replace one that had become a bit noisy.
The water spray systems were much more AFIR ฿20k
We saw this one and as it wasn't that much more than a non misting, remote control fan decided to give it a try.

I guess that it dosen't cool as much as a spray system but it is cooler than a normal fan
Sometimewoodworker

Postby AK49 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:03 am

I'm back in Thailand and it's 12-15-2014. I have had 4 wells (Bore Holes) 6" (15 centimeters) drilled about 100' (30 meters) deep the first 10 meters are Plastic pipe (for the mud area) then bored in to rock.
My wife has gone to get 32 meters of string so I can lower a thermometer down to the bottom to measure the temperature of the water at that depth.
I have not found PEX tubing here.
The Home Go and the Home Pro stores do not have foam board in Ubon. One store had a display of sheetrock with styrofoam on one side but they do not carry it anymore. The display was soon to be removed. They said it dose not hold up very well and there costumers were not happy with it.
I haven't been able to find a Spray Foam company yet.
Anyone have a Ph# for a spray foam contractor in the Ubon Ratchathani area or any ware in Thailand ????
Last edited by AK49 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
AK49

Postby AK49 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 am

I think the PEX 1/2" is made in China ?? Anyone know how to order it and have it delivered here in Thailand ???

I will give my water temperature of wells in next post (OR soon haha)
AK49

Postby AK49 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:48 pm

OK I measured well #4 it is 28.5m to the bottom 9m to the water from the surface. The temp with 10 minutes at the bottom is 82f maybe 81f . A lot warmer then I thought it would be. But if that would bring my home interior to 85-90 when it is 120 outside I will welcome it. To be seen. I can always install a hydronic system for cooling further if needed.
I had 4 drilled because I wanted 2 - 8" wells 200' deep, one to pump from and one to pump into. No rotary drill that I could find so only 30m deep and 6" I had them do 4 in case I need the volume. Two at the back of the lot and 2 at the front. Actually near the front as my wife planted flower trees. haha
The driller said we have lots of volume and joked we could probably supply the town. I'm sure he meant all 4 wells as supply though. My wife dose not like the taste of the well water though. I am hooking her to the city water for drinking water.

I have contracted to build a small home on the lot 10m x 16.5m. Half living & Kitchen & bed and bath room the other half garage and shop. There will be a 2nd floor in the roof and the top of the roof will be a deck 5m x 7m for night time star gazing. both floors accessed by a circular stair. The second floor will not cover the shop area so I will have room to the overhead for tall work.
The builder will be doing the septics, one for the house and one for the shop. Then all the footers and the one exterior wall. The front south facing one of white insulation brick. The house will be up against my wife's home on the east side and against the compound walls on the north and west.
He will then make the 2nd story floor and the roof patio then he will make the roof 4 sloping side's. There will also be a 3m covered concrete patio across the front with a sloping driveway.
Then (Next year maybe) we will have the entire interior spray foamed, All 4 walls roof and ground on bottom floor
I will then install the rebar and PEX in the ground floor and north and south walls. Maybe the east and west walls also ??? The rebar will be the grid to wire the PEX too, so it will stay in place when poring the concrete. ground floor first then build the inside walls and fill the gap between the foam and the inside brick wall (Where the rebar and PEX tubbing is) with concrete. The gap between the outside wall and the inside wall will be 20 centimeters. That is about 8" . The spray foam will be about 4" or 10c so the gap for rebar and PEX that will be concrete is 3"to4". When building the walls we will have to pull the rebar with wire to keep the PEX tight to the block.
Then tile floor and walls. I like the large whitish gray (Reflects light and is pleasing to look at) tile with no seam, (as small a seam as we can get anyway). Looks nice and easy to care for.
AK49

Postby Ians » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Why do you want to pump into a 200ft well?
Ians

Postby AK49 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Ians wrote:Why do you want to pump into a 200ft well?

My thought was that if I were taking out of a 200' that I would want to put back in the same so the water traveling through it would have time to cool. then would pass through the rock to be taken up again.
The idea is to use the water table not deplete it.
AK49

Postby AK49 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 pm

I have found the 2' (60 centimeters) concrete culvert for the air channel under the slab. The sections I saw are 40 centimeters long. I figure they must have longer sections. I will be checking into it.
AK49

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story