Tile Installation Cost

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Tile Installation Cost

Postby DrDave » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:44 pm

We needed to have about 100 m2 of ceramic tile installed on our flat roof terrace and small patio in Phuket. I looked around the site to get an idea of the material requirements and costs (cement, sand, grout) but couldn't find anything.
All of the quotes we got for installation, including materials were nearly the same - about 300 baht/m2. Same price from all sources - everything from local casual "contractors" to our property manager to HomePro.
Not having sufficient info for the material quantities and costs, we went ahead and gave the job to a local guy with Burmese labor for 290 baht/m2. All in all, they did a good job, but it was a real eye-opener when we discovered what the material costs were, and how much profit the "contractor" pocketed.

Following is a breakdown of the installation costs for 102 m2 of 16" x 16" ceramic tile w 2mm joints (outdoors):
Cement: Tiger Green 50kg Bags Qty: 18 @ 165 baht/bag = 2,970 baht
Sand: Truckload (looked to be about 1 m3) @ 800 baht/load = 800 baht (mix appeared to be about six - 5 gallon buckets sand to 1 bag cement)
Grout: Crocodile 1 kg bags Qty: 10 @ 47 baht/bag = 470 baht

TOTAL MATERIALS = 4,240 baht (42 baht/m2)

Labor: 3 men, 3.5 days = 10.5 man-days. Assuming the laborers were paid 1,000 baht/day, labor cost is 10,500 baht (103 baht/m2).

Total actual installation cost (materials + labor): 14,740 baht (145 baht/m2) exactly half of what we paid :shock:
DrDave

Re: Tile Installation Cost

Postby jazzman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Baht 300 per m2 is about right for a bona fide company that has overheads and pays taxes. However there is now a developing trend for casual labour to charge the same prices.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby DrDave » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Correct jazzman, regarding casual labor pricing - at least here in Phuket.
Two of the quotes we got were from the most casual of casual labor, and the price was the same as HomePro.
We got all sorts of offers to do the installation from anyone who saw the boxes of tile sitting in our garage.
The one we chose was our Thai water truck driver who said he had some Burmese guys that could do tile work. I was greatly relieved when I saw they had a proper tile cutter and spirit level when they showed up to start the job. We paid the Thai "boss" about 20% to start the job, then another 20% the next day for "materials". It soon became apparent that he was using that money to pay the laborers their day rate, since the cost of materials was next to nothing, and the only value he added was connecting me with the guys who did the work.
All in all, they did a good job of setting the tiles, but I've learned my lesson and will be cutting out the middle man the next time.
DrDave

Postby Klondyke » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:06 pm

DrDave wrote: Assuming the laborers were paid 1,000 baht/day

I would be surprised if they were paid 300 Baht/day
Klondyke

Return to material prices & building costs