Building in Krabi (Nong Thale)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Krabi (Nong Thale)

Postby scudman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Flubby,
I am using Colorbond Klip-Loc and spray-on PU foam for my 600 + sq. mtr roof in Phuket. I am using a company in Phang-Nga for both. The PU foam will be under 500 baht sq. mtr. Let me know if you want the contact info. (Speaks only Thai)

Scudman
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3673
scudman

Postby flubby » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm

We poured the ground beams yesterday. I was working offshore during the pile driving (sorry no photos). Scudman I could use the name of the colorbond supplier. I have had zero luck getting any help from the factory in Rayong.

view from house.JPG
This will be the view from every room in the house.

house.JPG
Looking up at the front of the house
flubby

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:41 pm

flubby wrote:We poured the ground beams yesterday. I was working offshore during the pile driving (sorry no photos). Scudman I could use the name of the colorbond supplier. I have had zero luck getting any help from the factory in Rayong.

The factory rep we talked to was this lady: Siwarang.eamkong@bluescopesteel.com but she was not very helpful with a timely quote. She does speak English however.
Then we found this guy, who only speaks Thai. He is going to order the Colorbond and install it and do the PU Foam. He is in Phang Nga or Krabi, I forget which. He is coming down here the Saturday to review our roof steel installation. Do you want me to mention you and your build or give him your contact info?

New Four Engineering and Serice Co. Ltd.
089-472 9200
083 115 5479
trongrit.lic@gmail.com
scudman

Postby flubby » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Scudman,

If that is his contact info, that should work. If he is from Krabi there is a good chance it is the same guy my builder wants to use. My Thai sucks, and my wife's construction knowledge sucks...(so there is not much point having him call me) haha.

Thanks for the info
Last edited by flubby on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flubby

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm in the same boat with my wife. I find that using drawings and pointing and getting a few words translated by my wife, together we get the message across. As I said if you wish I can give him your/your wife's contact info. Send my a private PM if you wish and I will pass it along on Saturday.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 pm

scudman wrote:I'm in the same boat with my wife. I find that using drawings and pointing and getting a few words translated by my wife, together we get the message across. As I said if you wish I can give him your/your wife's contact info. Send my a private PM if you wish and I will pass it along on Saturday.

I was in the same boat at the start with my foundations, so I did some structural drawings with Pictures on the right side (example pictures that I took from Coolthaihouse) of what I wanted them to do, like the ones attached. They got the message and most of the time followed the pictures.

After that I always took pictures with me for the build on any and or everything that I wanted then to copy. I still take pictures into into Thaiwatsadu and Home Pro, when shopping

pipoz
Attachments
HH Footing Layout Part 2.pdf
Footing Layout Part 2
(129.12 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
SHH Main House Ground Beam B1 Part 5.pdf
Main House Ground Beam B1 Part 5
(137.12 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
pipoz

Postby flubby » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Sorry guys I went to work offshore for 2 months. In that time the contractor has not done much. He is finally done with the frame for the roof. Here are the super block walls. I am not happy with the results. I can see daylight thru the wall. Not sure what to do except tear everything out and fire the guy.

DSC_0755.jpg
flubby

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am

I think an easier way would be to get a can of spray foam and fill the gap. If it was me would just screed (chap) over the gap as the trapped air will do the insulating.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:13 am

BKKBILL wrote:I think an easier way would be to get a can of spray foam and fill the gap. If it was me would just screed (chap) over the gap as the trapped air will do the insulating.

Agree with BKKBILL, rather than demolish, you can always pack a bit of dry mix into the wide joints/gaps or as BKKBILL said buy a can of that Spray Foam Filler. I use the spray can of Foam Filler to fill the gaps between my window frames and the block work before I did the acrylic seal.

Tell you Builder he also owes you a 20 mm thick render (instead of the standard 10 mm) on both the outside and inside of the wall as compensation for his sloppy block work. Make him put it on as a splash coat and then two 10 mm layers with your Builder picking up the coat of the second 10 mm layer

See how you go

pipoz
pipoz

Postby flubby » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 15.30.17.png
Notice on the 1st photo he has patched every vertical line. Not sure why he didn't put the thin set mortar in to begin with?

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 15.30.33.png
Found several cracks around the door and window frames.

As always thanks for the advice guys!
flubby

Postby flubby » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:15 am

Did you guys use the Lanko 751 mixed with the render for AAC walls? I am having trouble finding the exact thread where I read about this. Im still worried about the cracks that will appear later.

I will try to get some more pictures uploaded today.

Thanks.
flubby

Postby pipoz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:24 pm

flubby wrote:Did you guys use the Lanko 751 mixed with the render for AAC walls? I am having trouble finding the exact thread where I read about this. Im still worried about the cracks that will appear later.

I will try to get some more pictures uploaded today.

Thanks.

Yes I used Lanko 751 in my render mix, and you might want to look at Pages 15, 14 & 13 of my Build "Udon Thani Happy House".

I also used a lot of mesh (Pages 15 & 14) at my wall corners and also at wall to window + Wall to door opening areas, to minimize the cracking specifically at corners & junctions 7 openings

But, I still had some cracks - shrinkage cracks, which I attribute to the fact that they don't cure (wet down or keep damp) the render for 3-4 days after. If I was there I would have insisted that they lightly hose down or wet the outside twice a day for 4 days after applying the render. Where I am we cure the render on the walls with damp Hessian Cloth for 4 days, so it doesn't dry out to quick.

It can also depend on how Well Washed the sand is and whether the so called "Washed Sand" you buy, still has Clay left in it.

Anyway, you will always get a few cracks, because the render will naturally dry out too quick in Thailand, the way they mix it and the way they do it. This however can easily be patched with TOA, before you paint. I patched my cracks with the TOA (Pictures on Pages 22, 24 & 26), then painted the outside with JOTUN EXTREME EXTERIOR PAINT SYSTEM (Page 18 and final 25 & 26), and no cracks have re appeared through the finished painted surface so far (past 3 months)

Considering the total area of render and the fact that I had them apply 18mm thick render to both the inside and outside walls, I am relatively crack free at this stage, so quite happy with the end result

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:43 pm

flubby wrote:Did you guys use the Lanko 751 mixed with the render for AAC walls?

I also used Lanko 751 in my render, as well as at every cement joint or join. I also used hessian sacking that I bought at Thai Watsadu to keep it wet. So far I can see no cracks, but the interior is wall papered and the exterior appears to be doing well with the Dulux paint. It's all in this thread somewhere viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864 .
There were some small hairline cracks which I just filled with Lanko type of putty. I can look up the number for you if you like, I have it in the workshop.
Roger Ramjet

Postby flubby » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:28 pm

posttopile.jpg
I dug this out a little today to see what we have

posttopile2.jpg
That is wood form inside.

posttopile3.jpg

postto pile4.jpg
That is the actual pile behind the chunk of wood sticking out.
flubby

Postby flubby » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:35 pm

paperinwall.jpg
I found several widow sill / door frames that have paper sticking out.
flubby

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story