Building in Krabi (Nong Thale)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Krabi (Nong Thale)

Postby flubby » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi everyone,

We are about to build in Nong Thale, Krabi. Here is what the house will look like:

Front angle.png

Front.png

Front 2.png

Rear.png

The land is roughly 80m long by 40m wide. Just under 2 rai.

Aerial view of land.png

More in awhile, my 3 year old requires attention. (massive tickle attack now!)
flubby

Re: Building in Krabi (Nong Thale)

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Flubby,
A very interesting design - at least to me! Some real similarities to what we are doing in Koh Phangan, and the scale is similar too. I do like the one room width plan. I will look forward to following your progress.
Your place looks designed for a view - what is your site like?
Cheers and good luck with the build.
kiwimartin

Postby flubby » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks Kiwimartin!

The single width room basically comes from the shape of the plot and the slope of the land (8 to 10 degrees) where the house will be built. Here is a photo of the land from the top of the lot (the bit with the view). You can see my truck parked at the bottom of the lot. The bottom 1/3 of the lot is relatively flat. All of the rubber trees are gone. I will try to get a picture of the naked land soon.

The house design itself, well it started with a sketchup model that I downloaded from the 3D warehouse. I modified it to fit my uses. Then I really tweaked it while reading this website. I wanted to make it as "thai builder" friendly as possible. I am going with the double 7.5 cm superblock walls with the air gap in between. I was originally going to go with a colorbond roof as this website suggests, but it think I will be changing that. The wife is really against a metal roof. Plus I don't really think my builder would buy the right "colorbond." I am sure he would just get the cheap metal that is locally available.
Attachments
DSC_0385(1).jpg
flubby

Postby flubby » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 pm

I did want to mention that the bathrooms will be fully inclosed. I will have sliding windows and a polycarbonate roof. Basically I wanted bathrooms that feel like you are outside with the option of closing everything during the monsoon season. I don't care for the standard thai bathroom as they never seem to dry out.
flubby

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:54 am

Elsewhere you say you'll be using plywood on your roof. As far as I know this will be a first and I wonder what you are doing to prevent decay or destruction by termites?
fredlk

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 am

Hi Flubby - I do think Colorboand steel would look great on your house.
Intertech (recommended by other members too) have been fantastic at delivering a good price and giving excellent design assistance and guidance.
We are using their product which comes with PU insulation already attached. They will be delivering within a few weeks (a 2 week lead time).
Cheers.
Attachments
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 988 times
kiwimartin

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 am

kiwimartin wrote: I do think Colorboand steel would look great on your house.

I used Intertech steel for my Colorbond roof and they were excellent, they even sent out a rep with samples. Just what you need for a house of that design. Your builder doesn't do the instalation of the roof, that's done by Intertech Steel and is inclusive of their price. It's a one day job.
Roger Ramjet

Postby flubby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:04 am

The current plan is: plywood will be coated (encased) on the exterior with fiberglass roving (2 layers) and epoxy then painted white. The underside will be encased in 2" of PU foam. Also by doing it this way...you have one monolithic shingle, instead of many shitty shingles that leak. I was also thinking of giving each board a coat of epoxy (especially the edges) prior to instillation. This is the same way most boats are built. One thing I have noticed over the last 6 months is that all of the roofs in Thailand become covered with mildew. Not a problem to pressure wash fiberglass.

I do have a couple years experience installing the asphalt type shingles. These do not prevent termites on the underlying OSB, but are becoming more popular in Thailand as they don't leak. Also I have 14 years experience in the marine industry, and have worked a lot with fiberglass.

A friend of mine did his roof this way on the island of Guam. He ordered a Deltec kit home (all wood). These are supposed to be typhoon proof homes, and his is rated to withstand 200 mph winds! I climbed into his attic space 8 years after the build. I was amazed at how dry the wood is!
You can find a better photo of his roof with the view on the deltec website.
Attachments
#2 Dougs house 08'.JPG
Typhoon proof wood house. The roof is 2 layers of fiberglass roving.
flubby

Postby flubby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 am

Kiwimartin,

I agree. I like the look of the colorbond roof. I called and emailed intertech and never got a reply. Not sure if I change the wife's mind. She dose not believe the PU foam will absorb the sound of the rain (Thais! :roll: ).
flubby

Postby flubby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:27 am

Side note: I have not seen any of the pressure treated "green wood" locally in Krabi. I would guess someone makes it in Bangkok. They use formaldehyde to treat that stuff.
flubby

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 am

flubby wrote:I agree. I like the look of the colorbond roof. I called and emailed intertech and never got a reply. Not sure if I change the wife's mind. She dose not believe the PU foam will absorb the sound of the rain (Thais! ).

We are even using the PU insulated Colorbond on our open deck roof - precisely because of its deadening qualities...but as for all of us, keeping the better half happy is half the job done!
kiwimartin

Postby claynlr » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:04 am

kiwimartin wrote:Hi Flubby - I do think Colorboand steel would look great on your house.
Intertech (recommended by other members too) have been fantastic at delivering a good price and giving excellent design assistance and guidance.
We are using their product which comes with PU insulation already attached. They will be delivering within a few weeks (a 2 week lead time).
Cheers.

How thick is the PU? It looks really thick in the picture. Are you using clips, and if so how do they work with the thick insulation?
claynlr

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:33 am

flubby wrote:Side note: I have not seen any of the pressure treated "green wood" locally in Krabi. I would guess someone makes it in Bangkok. They use formaldehyde to treat that stuff.

Presure treated wood does not involve formaldehyde that is any of the sheet goods and is in the glues and resins.
So far I've not seen PT wood in Thailand apart from bamboo.

Chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is a chemical wood preservative containing chromium, copper and arsenic and is used in pressure treated wood to protect wood from rotting due to insects and microbial agents.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 am

claynlr wrote:How thick is the PU? It looks really thick in the picture. Are you using clips, and if so how do they work with the thick insulation?

Here is the real product, which I have been hacking up...the PU insulation is bonded onto the steel in the factory, on request. It is around 4 cm thick.

20141027_194657 (2).jpg
kiwimartin

Postby gliffaes » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:15 pm

kiwimartin wrote:
claynlr wrote:How thick is the PU? It looks really thick in the picture. Are you using clips, and if so how do they work with the thick insulation?

Here is the real product, which I have been hacking up...the PU insulation is bonded onto the steel in the factory, on request. It is around 4 cm thick.

20141027_194657 (2).jpg

Whats the pricing like on that stuff?
gliffaes

Next

Return to Your Building Story