Breezes and mosquitos

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Breezes and mosquitos

Postby kalasiner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:50 am

I often read here about the advantage of opening doors and windows to catch the cool
evening breezes.
But in my area mosquitos and other insects would come in with the breezes. Wouldn't
mosquito screens also block the airflow ?
kalasiner

Re: Breezes and mosquitos

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:15 pm

kalasiner wrote:I often read here about the advantage of opening doors and windows to catch the cool
evening breezes.
But in my area mosquitos and other insects would come in with the breezes. Wouldn't
mosquito screens also block the airflow ?

Yes a bit.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes, but it depends what is important to you, mosquitos and bugs or a slight reduction in air flow.
Ians

Postby kalasiner » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Keeping the mosquitos out is a priority for me; they love me, but I hate them....like most people, I suppose.
The screens block only a bit, slightly ? I would have thought a mesh fine enough to keep
the buggers out would reduce the airflow 70/80% ?
Anyway, I guess there's no getting around using aircon. It's a question keeping it's use to a minimum through good insulation etc. Electricity is not going to get cheaper, for sure !
kalasiner

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:02 am

As one who has always been plagued by ALL biting insects,(I'am the best repellant there is for anyone else near me) So it's screens all round in any of my houses and I can't say I notice much difference in the air flow, If you put hundred's of hole in a balloon, I can't see you ever blowing it up. :lol: :lol:
Mike Judd

Postby sirineou » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:49 am

Mike Judd wrote:As one who has always been plagued by ALL biting insects,(I'am the best repellant there is for anyone else near me) So it's screens all round in any of my houses and I can't say I notice much difference in the air flow, If you put hundred's of hole in a balloon, I can't see you ever blowing it up. :lol: :lol:

The heck with screens then, how about we hire you to hung around our houses :lol:
PS: do you impede air flow?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby pipoz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 am

Mike Judd wrote:As one who has always been plagued by ALL biting insects,(I'am the best repellant there is for anyone else near me) So it's screens all round in any of my houses and I can't say I notice much difference in the air flow, If you put hundred's of hole in a balloon, I can't see you ever blowing it up. :lol: :lol:

There is an unproven myth is that Vitamin B helps keeps mosquitoes away from you or that if you take Vitamin B on a regular basis, they will bite you less. I take the Vitamin B tablets some two weeks before I go to Thailand and whilst I still get the odd bite, but to me noticeably less than before, when they attached my ankles and lower legs in droves at night.

For those of you who are Australian or at least think know a bit about us, you will know what I mean, when I say, "Eat more Vegemite" :P :shock:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Ians » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:34 am

You can also rub the Vegemite on exposed areas - keeps the little buggers away (unless of course they are Aussie mozzies)
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:00 pm

I take a Vitamin B supplement every night [which allegedly contains every B known to man] however those little b's still express how much they love me every day.

Possible alternatives ....... including Building Bat Cave [not for The CC] .... http://www.nemoequipment.com/6-natural- ... l-insects/

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:52 pm

pipoz wrote:

There is an unproven myth is that Vitamin B helps keeps mosquitoes away from you or that if you take Vitamin B on a regular basis, they will bite you less. I take the Vitamin B tablets some two weeks before I go to Thailand and whilst I still get the odd bite, but to me noticeably less than before, when they attached my ankles and lower legs in droves at night.

For those of you who are Australian or at least think know a bit about us, you will know what I mean, when I say, "Eat more Vegemite" :P :shock:

pipoz
Nasty stuff Vegemite you should have the real thing that the Aussies copied, Marmite :lol:
Sometimewoodworker

Return to cooling systems