Natural Cooling Systems

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Natural Cooling Systems

Postby pipoz » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Has anyone used the Cardiffair Natural Cooling System or one similar to it before, In Thailand?

http://www.cardiffair.com.au/

This is not an advert, I am just curious as as to how efficient it might be

pipoz
pipoz

Re: Natural Cooling Systems

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:47 am

pipoz wrote:Has anyone used the Cardiffair Natural Cooling System or one similar to it before, In Thailand?

pipoz

In my part of Thailand with the overnight temp. during the hot session of 28 / 30C -- not very.
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Ians wrote:
pipoz wrote:Has anyone used the Cardiffair Natural Cooling System or one similar to it before, In Thailand?

pipoz

In my part of Thailand with the overnight temp. during the hot session of 28 / 30C -- not very.

Off topic but hope the [alleged/reported] flooding is not too close to home.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Ians wrote:

pipoz

Off topic but hope the [alleged/reported] flooding is not too close to home.

Hi, if referring to Phitsanulok - in city is OK, the river is only at about 50% so still plenty of spare capacity.
Ians

Postby pipoz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Ians wrote:

pipoz

Hi Ians,

Does that mean that you have a Carrdiffair or similar roof space cooling system in your house, and you are not impressed with it?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:39 pm

pipoz wrote:
Ians wrote:

pipoz

Hi Ians,

Does that mean that you have a Carrdiffair or similar roof space cooling system in your house, and you are not impressed with it?

pipoz

No it doesn't, I'm simply making a point, if the outside temp. is high bringing hot air into the house doesn't lower the house temperature. Ok the air flow might well feel cooler but this is only the evaporative effect which can be achieved with a normal fan wall, free standing or ceiling fan positioned where it best suits your needs. However, I will concede that a fan etc in the roof space can assist in keeping that space cooler but never below the outside temp. - and don't bring the outside air into the roof space via the internals of the house.

If your house temp. rises to anywhere near the outside temp. during the day all you can hope for is to get it down to somewhere near the minimum overnight temp. unless of course you are using a/c - using natural cooling you can never get below the minimum o/night temp.

Bear in mind Carrdifair are stating their system will lower the house temp. as well as the roof temp.
Ians

Postby pipoz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks Ians

Can I ask why, re "and don't bring the outside air into the roof space via the internals of the house"

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:59 am

If I can buy into this argument , I can only see the reason for not replacing the air in the roof via the house is if you have Air-con on, otherwise the main criterion is to replace all the air in both the roof and house with the hopefully, cooler air from outside. As mentioned and I have no argument with it, you cannot make air cooler than what it is without Air-con etc; But in my experience when a house gets hot through the day and the sun goes down, it is usually cooler outside no matter what , why else would people sit outside or even sleep out on the verandah on those hot nights. The whole point of trying to cope with the heat without Air-con is to use the natural air flow of hot air rises and if it is allowed to escape from the roof , cooler air will replace it. Once again it will never be cooler than what is available from outside but the last thing you want is a sealed roof that traps all the hotter air from below over the day, stopping any possible cooling flow and even with Air-con below making that work harder than necessary having that hot blanket over it.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:54 am

The only place I've seen in the world that uses "natural cooling" is Coober Pedi where the majority of houses are built underground in the rock. Those that are on the surface all use air conditioning. Which raises the question why someone has not done it in Thailand, but I think the cost here would be prohibitive and there is little expertise in that field.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 am

pipoz wrote:Thanks Ians

Can I ask why, re "and don't bring the outside air into the roof space via the internals of the house"

pipoz

Simple, my own home internally is usually 6 /7 degree cooler than the outside temp. during the hottest part of the day (ie, 37 outside / 30 inside) so why introduce hotter air into the house as a means of lowering the temp. in the roof space, a completely self defeating exercise.
If using a fan to exhaust hot air in the roof space - bring it in thru' the eaves of a dedicated vent.
Ians

Postby Ians » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 am

A point many seem to overlook or not consider is this is Thailand and unless you are living on the coast with the benefit of lovely cool sea breezes wafting around and the resultant cooler overnight temp., what cool air is available during the day and during the evening / night for the rest of Thailand? Agreed the overnight temp. will reduce somewhat, however In my own case during the hot session, the lowest o/night temp. may be similar to the max. temp the house reached during the day, meaning the house will be around 27 / 28 C first thing in the morning but only rise to 30 /31 during the day.

Of course the roof space is a different animal and getting this cooler o/night is a must.

As a means to ensuring the house remains as cool as possible, I close everything when ever the outside temp. approaches the inside temp. and open it up again in the evening if and when the outside temp. equals the inside temp. it will remain open during the night (except the bedroom in which we will run a/c for few hours until the outside temp. drops and we are comfortable with the ceiling fan) at which point this room is opened as well.

The joys of living up country Thailand - where it is usually very hot and if not very hot, it is simply hot and humid.

Temp. measurements outside / inside
Attachments
house temp.jpg
house temp
house temp.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Ians

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:54 am

Look I enjoy the cool in the heat as much as anyone , but I also prefer being outside as much as possible and I find that the sudden change from what seems like icy cold to a furnace like temperature every time one goes outside from Air-con ,a bit too much. I can live with just that slight relief when getting in the shade and or experiencing any breeze thats going, then it's "Once more into the fray", so to speak. I think it depends on the individual, some can't stand the heat under any circumstances, so they have to have Air-con living in Thailand. :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Postby Ians » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Look I enjoy the cool in the heat as much as anyone , but I also prefer being outside as much as possible and I find that the sudden change from what seems like icy cold to a furnace like temperature every time one goes outside from Air-con ,a bit too much. I can live with just that slight relief when getting in the shade and or experiencing any breeze thats going, then it's "Once more into the fray", so to speak. I think it depends on the individual, some can't stand the heat under any circumstances, so they have to have Air-con living in Thailand. :wink: :wink:

Mike,
Just to clarify, the house temp. in my previous post is without a/c. Just good design for the high temp. of Thailand.

You must miss the cool breezes off the water in Church Point as I miss the sea breeze living 200m from Cronulla beach.
Ians

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:23 am

You must miss the cool breezes off the water in Church Point as I miss the sea breeze living 200m from Cronulla beach.

Yes I will ! That's one thing about the water, it cools the breezes down and with a terraced style 2 storey I just open all the stacker doors below and open the windows upstairs in the bedrooms and you can feel the air moving up. The only trouble is it's bloody cold in the winter? so the combustion stove is going all day then to keep the Thai's warm. Not something one has to worry about in Thailand . Cheers.! :D :D
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Mike Judd wrote:...to keep the Thai's warm. Not something one has to worry about in Thailand . Cheers.! :D :D

As a matter of fact, I do worry in November, December, January in Thailand ... :)

Klondyke

Next

Return to cooling systems