Measured temperature in Double Walls Houses

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Measured temperature in Double Walls Houses

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Mike Judd wrote:How's the post Op going R.R. hasn't affected the old elbow bending I hope. .?

Without hijacking the thread, the post op is not good at all. They did so much damage to my back I can barely walk and when I do get up from a chair I'm like a crooked old man for 10 minutes.
Roger Ramjet

Postby oil » Wed May 14, 2014 3:21 am

whats a post op?
oil

Postby pattayapope » Wed May 14, 2014 6:48 am

oil wrote:whats a post op?

Post operation RR had an operation on his shoulder :roll:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Wed May 14, 2014 7:02 am

pattayapope wrote:Post operation

POST = after.
fredlk

Postby oil » Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm

ahh oki
oil

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 pm

My experience with double brick clinker style houses is that in a heat wave they stay cool for a couple of dates but it also takes 2-3 days to cool down after woods. Its to do with the thermal mass of the bricks acting as a heat bank. No amount of passive cooling helps until the heat is dissipated from those walls. When the ambient temperature stays the same at 32-36 everyday, you have a very good heater working 24/7, lol. You will find that in years to come, clay bricks will not be used. They make great fence material but not something i would chose in Thailand to build a house with. all it takes is a little reading and curiosity to pick the "low hanging fruit"
Classic teak thai homes are built to suite the environment. Open the doors and shutters in the evening and in no time the house is cooler. Us westerners have taken a few hundred years to learn the basics, lol. Teak = low thermal mass.
Teak is now untouchable in Thailand so alternatives need to be explored. Qcon blocks should be a BARE MINIMUM. You need more to make a decent fist of the issue. Sure double skin but also a thermal barrier in the cavity. Or cladding over the qcon blocks. An R rating of 3.5 is achievable but just double qcon blocks will give you about r2.5. This is about right for an insulated brick veneer wall. But its not really good enough for 2014 . There is no excuse for ignorance, the knowledge is freely available. Google it.
Clay bricks and concrete have high thermal mass, just cannot escape the fact. A Well designed house with passive cooling can work to a degree, but using smarter materials will make a massive difference. Its the constant high temperatures here that should dictate the materials used , not the penny pinching that goes on here.
I havent even touched on Double glazing or a well insulated roof system. These are just as important topics.
I hope i have inspired some thinking! I may have gone slightly off thread, but you dont need to survey to see what is best. No need to reinvent the wheel. Science has already delivered, unless your an Australian Prime Minister, lol.
Andyfteeze

Postby oil » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:43 am

well i just wanted to have a real life measurement of different building types,
and the thread worked out good for me,
its natural that breezes can only cool a house down over night, hot breezes over the day make humans feel cool cause of evaporation on skin but does heat the house, so its prolly a good idea to have the house on lockdown over the day in summer.
the temperature we have now doesnt bother me at all, its just over summertime its almost killing me
oil

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 am

Glad it worked for you. Keeping cool is not magical. Its a subject that has been well strategised over the last two decades.
Just like everything else, we only get interested when the s**t hits the fan , lol, and sometimes its hard to know who to believe . Everyone is an expert or its hear say.
A lot of products in australia have been rated by the CSIRO. They also produced a lot of research papers which helped to produce guides on energy efficient housing. Companies such as Borol, who purchased the rights to Hebel (Qcon is the same licencing) have produced a lot of how toos and specifications.
All readily available to us in the know. Hehehe
Using the basic principles of passive cooling can make a difference but we have to be realistic. You cant expect a massive difference if you dont have a good base to start from. Thats why aircon was invented.
Andyfteeze

Previous

Return to cooling systems