Venting in TH ...

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Venting in TH ...

Postby oil » Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 pm

i consider different ideas and want to implement the things which makes the most sense imho,

so when i talk to thai friends they basially have the thinking of opening all doors and windows over the day so that the wind can blow thru the house and maybe cool them.
the not very well thought of part about this idea is imho (please correct me if i am wrong)

- which wind? (in Chiang Mai Area there is not much, most of the time its none)
- Hot Wind doesnt make it cold, we feel cold cause our sweat evaporated which makes us feel cold, but just hot wind more likely should heat up the house over the day, its more like a hot air oven, imho

so far my opinion to this,

So some people recommend me to have permanent venting holes above the windows to the outside, that the hot air can go outside ... and i have the impression once again, its the other way around that hot air gets inside over the day.

Its true that in the nighttime its cooler, but i doubt i can benefit from that idea if i suffer the daytime from it.

the other thing is the humidity .... a perm. open house collects lots of humidity, as being perm. open the risk of mold is minor, cause humidty can be carried away quickly however fighting humidy with natural ideas like charcol / salt pots will not work on open windows, the doors must be closed for that.

So far, i think that the whole venting idea might make sense if you live close to the sea, however in the middle of a country with less winds, its sounds stupid for me.

Still saying its important to ventialte the house in the evening hours and in the morning thou, i think most of the venting aspekts are crap.

and i wanted to hear you guys opinion on this
oil

Re: Venting in TH ...

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 30, 2014 5:39 pm

You will read my opinion on living in Thailand with out Air-Con in plenty of posts. You say there are no cool breezes where you are , O.K. you live there I don't, but you do concede that it's cooler at night, and if it's like everywhere else it's out side where the cool air is mainly. So the whole idea of ventilation and open windows etc: is you want that cool air in the house as soon as it kicks in ,usually after the sun goes down. Now this cool air is not going to enter the house unless the hot air which builds up during the day can get out.Hot air rises as we all know, so its at it's hottest at ceiling height and in the roof , if your roof has some sort of ventilation which all roofs should have, that hot air will get out to be replaced by cooler air below. plenty of windows and doors open or fans will hasten the process . The thing is at least the nights will be more pleasant and you have a cooler house to start the day off which can last longer by then closing the house up. The more insulated your house is the better that all works, being able to sit in the shade helps, but only Air-Con can give you complete relief at Mid day if a fans not enough.
Mike Judd

Postby Ians » Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Seems this has been done to death and is just a repeat of what has done before.

So to answer the question, why would you open your house (or allow hot air into the house) allowing the high temp during the day into the house bringing the internal temp to the same as the external temp. (old Thai thinking from the days before fans / money to run fans) all the breeze does is to cool "you" by evaporative cooling - it does nothing for the house other than raise the temp.
Right now in Phitsanulok, 8pm it is 31c outside (maybe a little less as I might be measuring latent heat in the wall) internal is just on 31c which was todays max. internal temp - so all the windows are now open for night cooling, unfortunately min. o/night might only be 28c, so therefore the internal will only come down slightly - by 9 or 9.30 tomorrow morning very thing will be shut up again to try and maintain a low internal temp.
Our bedrooms have a/c and fans - so - a/c early in the night and to cool the room and then switch over to fan for the remainder.
It seems on the hottest days 37 / 38c we can maintain around 6c lower than external - this is noticeable especially when you come in from outside.
Ians

Postby Shastadad » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 am

I am not going to add bits of data to this debate, but just a reminder that open doors and windows in Thailand not only lets in these cooling breezes but the mosquitoes, flys, and gnats as well

With the dry "summer" season we are having in Pattaya right now, they are a real problem and the only solution I have found (other than enriching Sattahip Electric Coop by using the A/C) is by insuring that a fan is blowing them away from me
Shastadad

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 31, 2014 9:36 am

Well I can only add that I am well used to the heat having experienced it in many countries and the main reason that I left England many years ago, but one thing I cannot stand is biting insects of every description, they just seem to love me , nobody needs repellant when I'am around. So I wouldn't dream of building a house without screens on every door and window, That's why I went for Aluminium sliding everywhere.
Mike Judd

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:08 am

I second what Ian said. Stop the heat from getting in during the day, pull as much cooler air in at night. Putting holes everywhere to equalise the temperatures works for a TEAC house because it has low thermal mass. Brick house? Insane idea. Insulate well in the ceiling, on the walls and windows. Turn on the split system and be pleased you have done all thats possible. This will minimise the ongoing power bills, keep you cool and keep those damn mossies out. They love me too!
Simple really, lol
Andyfteeze

Return to cooling systems