Foundation necessary for PVC Watertank?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Foundation necessary for PVC Watertank?

Postby amitsch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello,

i am considering using 2-3 10.000l PVC watertanks to supply my house.
The constructor quoted 25.000 Baht for a foundation for the tanks.

I've seen these plastic tanks standing on plain soil plenty of times. Is a foundation really necessary if you avoid the ground washing way with a little wall around the Tanks??
Also, the foundation would not need to be bigger than 10m² ... 25.000 Baht for a concrete platform of 10m² sounds ridiculous to me...

Thanks,

Alex
amitsch

Re: Foundation necessary for PVC Watertank?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

amitsch wrote:i am considering using 2-3 10.000l PVC watertanks to supply my house.
The constructor quoted 25.000 Baht for a foundation for the tanks.

That's a huge amount of pressure being exerted if they are 10,000 litre PVC tanks. 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram so it would depend on the base of the tank itself. I've never seen tanks so big stand on the ground without support of some sort. I put in two 1,000 tanks and put down a 4 inch slab with rebar attached to the foundations.
amitsch wrote:25.000 Baht for a concrete platform of 10m² sounds ridiculous to me...

It would depend on the amount of rebar and concrete they used and the type of soil..... I'd say at the most probably 7,000 baht would cover all materials, so he/she's itching for a nice tidy 18,000 baht profit, unless they want to put down pins and real foundations, but again it would depend on the soil type.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm

I put a 2000L tank on a 4 - 5" slab with wwm. and formed the sides with left over grey blocks. It ain't going anywhere..
A DIY project believe it or not. :D
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:03 pm

I put down a 10,000 lt Poly tank. 6ft high X 8ft diameter as per instructions ,level the ground and lay 4 inches of compacted gravel down. place tank and wait for it to fill up. Been there 10 years in the garden on a 45 degree slope with plenty of rain running all around it , always full as I have rarely had to use it for the garden since installing it when we had drought conditions at the time, hence the reason for it . Hasn't moved an inch out of level, but you could always have a flexible pipe at the tank incase it did.
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:09 pm

amitsch wrote:Hello,
i am considering using 2-3 10.000l PVC watertanks to supply my house.
Alex

Hallo Alex,
perhaps you have got some special use for your water. Just let you know my consumption to get idea : I have some 10,000 L storage. However, it has to supply not only our house with 3 bathrooms (and a kitchen too) but also a swimming pool of 50,000 L that needs daily water addition. Further a fish pond of some 10,000 L needs daily additional water because of leaking and daily draining (the 20 adult kois shitting quite a lot). And in the dry season (6 months) we have to daily spray 3 gardens (in front of house, behind and one separate at a side), we are on a 3/4 of rai. And that besides washing 2 cars and 3 dogs.

Although I recently have added 2 concrete tanks each 2,000 L and another 2 plastic tanks 1.500 L for catching rainy water, this does not help me in the dry season, we run then with the original 10,000L only. The rain just makes some releave to my difficult water system during rainy season, (described in one thread). Usually (in the dry season), the 10,000 L are enough without refilling within 3 - 5 days, that is the time I have to await sedimentation of the new batch of well water.

BTW, I cannot recall seeing a 10,000 L plastic tank, how big they are? The 1,500 tanks I bought recently (one in TW, another in GH) are already quite a big. Before you invest for a huge storage, you better think it over and see later. If necessary you always can add another plastic tank once the space is available and/or foreseen.

Just a thought...
Klondyke

Return to material prices & building costs