Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 pm

At the very least the set-up framework is certainly coconut timber milled directly from the land. 14 trees felled and milled in 2 days.
Hi to all, our build on Koh Phangan essentially began yesterday - with a small ceremony to confirm the alignment of the stars. We will try to document the build and in so doing make a deep bow to all for the inspiration from CTH. We purchased 1 rai with sea views for the build and plan on retiring here in oh...about 10 years I am hoping. Perhaps the construction will be done by then!
1b5cf1d0271d35a9c9c4a6f41524a7ca.jpg

195d020d25d6d9d3f988d0a3d5626d38.jpg
c32a9c68dae81e1cca8a9f24c709725d.jpg
787f29301056b9ddd528aea1ff5ab44f.jpg
kiwimartin

Re: Koh Phangan Coconut Build

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 pm

The house design has evolved in this - something between a holiday bach and a Q'lander.
model03_09 (2) no garage.jpg

BASIC SKETCHUP.jpg

STRUCTURE BASEMENT.jpg

on this land...
PICT0116.jpg

looking to the west coast of the island...
PICT0102.jpg

Very much looking forward to dialogue and advice ...I plan on using white colorbond and have been spending this evening learning much from Fred's incredible build.
Cheers
Martin
kiwimartin

Postby fredlk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 am

I love bi-fold doors but if you're not having them made from hardwood to your specifications, you might be disappointed.
I looked at UPvc bi-folds which were 3 times the price of aluminium sliders and couldn't even hold up their own weight in the showroom.
In the end I chose normal aluminium but then in 3 parts so that I got a two thirds opening as maximum for a good airflow.
I'm very happy with them.
fredlk

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks Fred - Yes we have 6 sets of doors, and are looking at all options right now. We have a range of quotes - AusEco in Chiang Mai have a beautiful hardwood (mahogany) product, but the low maintenance aspect of Aluminium is tempting. We really want to be able to completely open the house up to the view and pool. The doors will fold into the house to avoid the wind, and clutter on the deck.
Below are the doors we will require.
BTW - I am up to page 70-odd of your story and have been making continuous notes. I will contact your Colorbond contractor in Samutprakarn today.
Congratulations on your vision and especially your philosophy for the build.

Folding Doors 2.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby fredlk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:39 am

kiwimartin wrote:Congratulations on your vision and especially your philosophy for the build.

:oops: Thanks. :D
kiwimartin wrote:I will contact your Colorbond contractor in Samutprakarn today.

Roger Ramjet and others used Intertech. You might try them as well.
fredlk

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 am

kiwimartin wrote:Thanks Fred - Yes we have 6 sets of doors, and are looking at all options right now. We have a range of quotes - AusEco in Chiang Mai have a beautiful hardwood (mahogany) product, but the low maintenance aspect of Aluminium is tempting. We really want to be able to completely open the house up to the view and pool. The doors will fold into the house to avoid the wind, and clutter on the deck.
Below are the doors we will require.
BTW - I am up to page 70-odd of your story and have been making continuous notes. I will contact your Colorbond contractor in Samutprakarn today.
Congratulations on your vision and especially your philosophy for the build.

Folding Doors 2.jpg

I recently (in April 2014) obtained a number of quotes from Aluminium and UPVC Window-Door Manufacturers, as I had a set of Folding Doors in my house design. My Folding Set was to be 3000 mm wide by 2200 mm high and made from 6 No Sashes (with 3 Sashes folding back to either side).

1.Folding Door Set: One Aluminium Manufacturer wanted TB 65,000 (AL) for the Folding Door Set with equates to TB 9,848 per m2 for Supply only ex Factory (no delivery or installation). Glass was clear laminated 6 mm thick and Frame colour was standard White. Excludes VAT

2.Folding Door Set: One UPVC Manufacturer wanted TB 141,000 for the Folding Door Set with equates to TB 21,424 per m2 for Supply only ex Factory. Glass was clear laminated only 4 mm thick and Frame colour was standard White. Excludes VAT

3.Alternative Sliding Door Set: Another Aluminium Manufacturer offered to supply & install an alternative 4 No Sash Sliding Door Set (3000 x 2200 mm) in Aluminium Frame (Bronze colour) with 6 mm Laminated Glass for around TB 30,000 - which equates to TB 4,545 per m2, half the price of the Folding Doors. Excludes VAT

4.Alternative Sliding Door Set: I also pursued other UPVC Manufacturers and their prices for a UPVC equivalent Sliding Door Set 3000 x 2200 mm was:
TB 49,950 (Supply) + 14,000 (Install) = Total TB 63, 950 (4 Sash Wood Grain frame colour - V) Excluding VAT
TB 76,600 (4 Sash, Mocca frame colour, supply & install - PA) Excluding VAT

Bottom line is, Aluminium Frame is much cheaper than the UPVC Fame option, but you wont get that wood grain finish in Aluminium that you might find with some UPVC manufacturers. With Aluminium you will have to settle for a look a like powder coat colour finish, which for me is OK.

I posted a cost-quotation spreadsheet of my Window -Door prices, under my Build "Happy House Udon Thani" and its something to have a think about, because lots of large open window-doors in your design, will pump up your build cost.

Hope this give you some idea

pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Pipoz,
Thats brilliant and much appreciated. Have to agree that 'lots of large open window-doors in your design, will pump up your build cost' but I guess it will also improve the view, and save on the cost of blocks!
Off to your build now for research as I will order these soon. Could you recommend a specific manufacturer for a economy/quality balance?
Cheers and thanks.
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Hi Pipoz,
Thats brilliant and much appreciated. Have to agree that 'lots of large open window-doors in your design, will pump up your build cost' but I guess it will also improve the view, and save on the cost of blocks!
Off to your build now for research as I will order these soon. Could you recommend a specific manufacturer for a economy/quality balance?
Cheers and thanks.

Are you looking to do your frames in Aluminium, UPVC or Timber. Timber is way way more expensive, if you can find the right hardwood

Block and render are cheap per m2 in Thialand

I will send you a PM or email with all the details of those I contacted and their quotations. It depends on which ones are close to your build area

You must be a Kiwi living in Queensland

I lived there once, actually twice

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:41 pm

kiwimartin,
I used Intertech Steel (Aus Company) for my Colorbond roof and had the factory insulation installed on all sheets before it was delivered and installed by the factory.
The one thing I did notice in your design was the fact the roof overhang seemed to finish over the pool which may cause you flooding problems during the monsoon season unless you add guttering. That will even be hard pressed to take away the water when a deluge hits.
I also noticed the lack of support for the verandah roof in that area. With the winds that come off the coast coming up and under that verandah overhang during the wet season you might need to have more support in that area.
Roger Ramjet

Postby brianks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:57 pm

You building of wood and hope to retire there in 10 years. Better coat all of the timber well with something to keep the termites out or you might not have much left in 10 years.

Your talking about aluminum windows I see. Were on the mainland in Khanom and we had a local mfg. make all our windows and doors. You can select the thickness of the profile for strength. You might consider talking to him as Khanom is not far from Don Sak pier. Very good prices and very pleased with quality. Beat the pants off all other quotes we had. Could see our house in Khanom if you wanted to verify quality.

Are you going to use a glass that will stop the UV rays from baking the inside of your beautiful view house? I had tinted glass but just recently had a UV coating added to it that really cuts down on the reflective heat from the outside. I didn't realize how much heat came from outside and not even direct sun on the windows until I stood in front of one and closed the doors. With the coating the sting of the outside heat is considerably reduced. Do it in the beginning and you will save the time and trouble I went through 6 months after house completed.

Looks like a beautiful house.
brianks

Postby thaicbr » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 pm

I have recently been watching a lot of a UK program called Grand Designs and Grand Designs Australia. One guy had a beautiful house looking over a bay. And had the sliding doors sliding INTO the walls. if you are doing double skin might be worth investigating.
thaicbr

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Hah Roger,
You are right of course, but I am planning for a large gutter front and back with oversize downpipes. This will form a water collection system for the 12 2000L Dos water tanks which fit neatly into the niche under the house. This will supplement the mountain water supply. It is a very dry island.
You are right too about the support for the verandah deck. On the engineered plans this is addressed too.
Appreciate your advice Roger. I will check with Intertech for a quotation today.

Hi Brianks,
Thanks for the info - with ferries from Dong Sak and Surathani transport is easy. Do you have a contact for the manufacturer in Khanom?
Cheers - love Khanom btw...a beautiful and still little known place.

Hi Thaicbr,
I am addicted to both shows and have watched all the episodes, often one after another (occasionally to my wife's chagrin! The Australian builds are really better aligned to building here...but Kevin McLeod is still the man! A brilliant idea but my plans are completed and signed off so I did not allow sufficient room to slide the doors into the walls...c'est la vie, I guess.
Cheers and thanks.
kiwimartin

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi again Pipoz,
No, I am a kiwi living and working in BKK, building a Queenslander on a Thai island.
The walls etc all block and Q-con. The vaulted ceiling inside the steel trusses topped with Colorbond will be sarked with timber. If any of the members know of a source for clean T&G 100 x 25mm timber (or lap jointed) I would love to hear from you. Preferably in 2-3 metre lengths.
Hoping the ceiling will be something like this -
001.jpg

I would gladly forward an e-mail address if it is within forum rules - how do I do that?
Cheers and thanks,
Martin
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Hi again Pipoz,
No, I am a kiwi living and working in BKK, building a Queenslander on a Thai island.
The walls etc all block and Q-con. The vaulted ceiling inside the steel trusses topped with Colorbond will be sarked with timber. If any of the members know of a source for clean T&G 100 x 25mm timber (or lap jointed) I would love to hear from you. Preferably in 2-3 metre lengths.
Hoping the ceiling will be something like this -
001.jpg

I would gladly forward an e-mail address if it is within forum rules - how do I do that?
Cheers and thanks,
Martin

I thought when you said that you were retiring in about 10 years that you hadn't made it to the Thai shore line yet.

When you have enough browny points to send a PM, then you can flick the email address via the PM system

Those that I contacted for prices on my windows and doors were,

ALUZAT (Aluminium) in Bangkok
Durascreen (Aluminium) No Reply in Bangkok
EUROUPVC (UPVC) in Chonburi
HEVTA (UPVC) in Samutsakom
VEKA (UPVC) in Bangkok & Chang Mai
Prime Asia (UPVC & ALUM) In Bangkok I think Web Page looks good, but they were expensive
AUSECO (Timber) No reply, in Chang Mai
ARC (UPVC) No Reply in Chonburi

Hope this gives you a start

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby kiwimartin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Cheer Pipoz - Thanks for the list. I am on to it!
kiwimartin

Next

Return to Your Building Story