price of steel forms

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: price of steel forms

Postby sirineou » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:20 pm

pipoz wrote:
Why not make your posts 300 x 300 mm and use the 1200 x 300mm Forms, as its only a little more concrete and concrete is cheap in Thailand. This way you buy one Form to do both and get more uses

one drawback of using 300 mm columns is,
unless you build very thick walls,
you will have the columns sticking out in to the living space too much in my opinion.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby pipoz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm

sirineou wrote:
pipoz wrote:
Why not make your posts 300 x 300 mm and use the 1200 x 300mm Forms, as its only a little more concrete and concrete is cheap in Thailand. This way you buy one Form to do both and get more uses

one drawback of using 300 mm columns is,
unless you build very thick walls,
you will have the columns sticking out in to the living space too much in my opinion.

Yes but columns sticking proud of the block wall line, give the wall some definition and the wall doesn't look so bland. I personally prefer this look, but others may not. I actually did my house columns as 300 x 300 mm (rather than the 250 square) to get that same Pillar effect

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Psychic » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:45 pm

I was thinking of using 20cm q-con and so having no posts showing. So 30cm posts defeat that. I'll see if I can locate 20cms forms. If not, I'm wondering if a local metal guy can make them. Then,of course, there's always wood :idea:
Psychic

Postby Cheeryble » Thu May 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
vanda wrote:This is also an expense I've been wondering about, the rental price of forms. I'm sure I've seen some figures somewhere, but I was a bad student and didn't take notes. I have a book with all my over estimated material costs and rough calculations of area used, unfortunately by the time I get to start my build inflation will have caught up with me :-)

฿3 per form per day

A couple of questions:
Does a beam or column require four "forms" at this daily price or is it an integrated unit for all four sides?

Secondly how long are the forms as I'd like to know my per metre cost for form/shuttering hire for a typical job.

(presumably the "pads" or feet in the ground do not need forms as the dirt does this job?)

ps: on the price list I got form a builder 200bt/metre was allowed for formwork.
I do not know if this is the cost of hire (which seems a lot) or hire plus fitting.
Thoughts?

Basically I'd like to know the cost of the hire per metre as this will go on my list of materials costs to which I can add labour.
Cheeryble

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Cheeryble wrote:Does a beam or column require four "forms" at this daily price or is it an integrated unit for all four sides?

The cost is per form, so multiply it (the column) by 4.
Cheeryble wrote:Secondly how long are the forms as I'd like to know my per metre cost for form/shuttering hire for a typical job.

The forms vary in size, you have to go and measure them, which depends on the size of the columns.
Cheeryble wrote:(presumably the "pads" or feet in the ground do not need forms as the dirt does this job?)

Not quite true, the pads sit on the piles. The pads are not part of the dirt, they have a concrete base and are surrounded by breeze blocks. This is what they should look like: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=330
Cheeryble wrote:ps: on the price list I got form a builder 200bt/metre was allowed for formwork.
I do not know if this is the cost of hire (which seems a lot) or hire plus fitting.
Thoughts?

The builder must put down a deposit on the form work, which is about the same cost as it would be to make new form work. When he returns them they take out the hire cost and he gets a refund.
The formwork should stay up for at least 24 hours, so he's looking at a minimum of two or three days hire.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Cheeryble wrote:[Does a beam or column require four "forms" at this daily price or is it an integrated unit for all four sides?
Secondly how long are the forms as I'd like to know my per metre cost for form/shuttering hire for a typical job.

Seeing that you have decided for the traditional Thai building style with "Saus". Assuming that your builder would not be able to do it otherwise.

Anyway, wondering why for your simple and not so high house you go for "Saus" made in situ in a formwork? This will take few weeks. You can buy the required size and length surely in your surounding. The same people I talk about who make in villages the cement blocks and beside the concrete rings for wells also the columns with the bottom pads. That would surely save you same time and money obviously too.

And if they are properly embedded in the foundation holes and properly levelled, it goes quite fast. Unlike what I saw many times: they just place the columns somehow and only later look whether the tops are in the same height level. Mostly they are not, so they spend few more days to cut them down, what is not so easy.
Klondyke

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs