Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Alan wrote:As far as piles, the last time I inquired (two or three years ago), they gave me the following estimates: 185,00THB for 22cm x 22cm x 20m piles and 51,333 for labor. For the smaller piles, 180,00 for 18cm x 18cm x 20m piles and 57,200 for labor. I'm not sure why the labor was cheaper for the larger piles but that is what they wrote on the estimate.

After reading your post I'm wondering if they underbid the project.

That sounds about right. I failed to mention that I used bore piles that are nearly 3 times more expensive, are greater in circumference and carry a greater load. But the Or Bor Tor Engineer will be the man to see and ask in your area about what you need. I'd make a list of questions (pray he speaks a little English) and don't walk away until you're satisfied that you have all the right answers.
Alan wrote:I am really struggling to hold my ground with a crowd that has virtually no construction knowledge.

After your trip to the Or Bor Tor with your wife, all the "local knowledgeables" should quietly pull their horns in and be silent for a while, as your wife will tell them they were wrong. I'd take a mid priced bottle of whiskey along to the Or Bor Tor Engineer as incentive and even invite him to come out to your build and make open comments, which should keep the "locals" in check even further.
Quietly tell your wife that you are the money man and what you says goes and make sure the "locals" know it, otherwise they'll have your house built upside down in no time at all and it will start to fall down in a month.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:21 am

Hi Jack&Amy. could you tell me the name of the company you were talking about? the quote I received was from Chachoengsao Prestressed Concrete Product. they had the rig, or knew someone who did, to drive the piles into the ground. the price you were given would save me about 30,000 just for the piles. the labor I'm not sure of though. 1000 per pile might be for 8-10 meters. mine need to be around 20 meters (so I'm told).

Also, where is your land?

Alan
Alan

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 am

Alan, their name is J M Phanom Concrete....038-551039.....I'm sure they will have a contact for the rig....My wife asked the builder of a house that was under construction where they got the piles from, thats where we got this name & number...She also googled others , but this company were the cheapest...

Apologies, I mis-read your post before, I thought you needed 20 piles not 20M long piles....Maybe your quote was about right...I'm told by the Thai guy who will probably draw up my plans that 8m long piles are used in my area...Ban Nong Jorakay , but I will be asking the engineer at the Or Bor Tor when I am there again in October to make sure....
Jack&Amy

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:56 am

Jack&Amy, Thanks for the contact (J M Phanom Concrete....038-551039). Will check them out in December when I go. would appreciate any information you obtain when you visit.

No need to apologize, just looking for the best price while expecting the same quality.

I'm looking for an AE to develop my plans. would you mind providing the source you are using?

thanks,
Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:51 am

I know, I know, it’s been a while since I posted anything. So I spent Christmas and the New Year 2015 in Thailand. Many agendas on my plate. We did some pricing of materials and did talk to a perspective builder. Did not talk to the “Or Bor Tor” or “Or Bit Tor” as I was corrected by a family member. I am getting much resistance from family members indicating it is a waste of time.

In talking to the prospective builder, I offered my very basic plans for the house and discussed a few things. They looked at them and made a few comments. First, they recommended 12 meter piles; offering no reliable information on why. Then they recommended using several types of materials because they had used them before. Turns out these materials were double the price of what I had planned. Then the stated that I would have to get the plan approved by the land office before they would speculate on a bid for the contract. (Their partial hesitance in offering a bid was most likely because I told them it would be two years before we were ready to build).

Anyway, I always walk away with more information and questions about the build. The plan continues to change constantly but ever so slightly. I am convinced that I need to have my plan interpreted and translated by a Thai A&E firm prior to putting the contract out. This will cost more money but reduce any confusion on what I am expecting. My target date for the build is summer 2017. I think the summer is the best time to start building home in Thailand.
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:21 am

Alan wrote:I know, I know, it’s been a while since I posted anything. So I spent Christmas and the New Year 2015 in Thailand. Many agendas on my plate. We did some pricing of materials and did talk to a perspective builder. Did not talk to the “Or Bor Tor” or “Or Bit Tor” as I was corrected by a family member. I am getting much resistance from family members indicating it is a waste of time.

In talking to the prospective builder, I offered my very basic plans for the house and discussed a few things. They looked at them and made a few comments. First, they recommended 12 meter piles; offering no reliable information on why. Then they recommended using several types of materials because they had used them before. Turns out these materials were double the price of what I had planned. Then the stated that I would have to get the plan approved by the land office before they would speculate on a bid for the contract. (Their partial hesitance in offering a bid was most likely because I told them it would be two years before we were ready to build).

Anyway, I always walk away with more information and questions about the build. The plan continues to change constantly but ever so slightly. I am convinced that I need to have my plan interpreted and translated by a Thai A&E firm prior to putting the contract out. This will cost more money but reduce any confusion on what I am expecting. My target date for the build is summer 2017. I think the summer is the best time to start building home in Thailand.

It depends on what you define as summer as Thailand has no summer and Northern and Southern Hemispheres have opposite times.
The best time to start is at the end of the rainy season, beginning of the cold season, for weather as you are going to have many fewer rainy days or after the rice harvest with more workers free. I wouldn't call either time summer.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:46 am

Alan wrote:Did not talk to the “Or Bor Tor” or “Or Bit Tor” as I was corrected by a family member. I am getting much resistance from family members indicating it is a waste of time.

Without wishing to add to the internal family advise, who must all be qualified engineers, I would be off to the Or Bor Tor (he is a qualified engineer) as he has to approve the plans anyway. He also has the topography maps for the area and will be able to tell you the size of the piles needed and what sort.
At the village where my townhouse is located, the block of land behind my townhouse was "sold" and the new owners moved in a pile driving machine which proceeded to start smashing in piles. It caused a near riot in the village as walls started to crack, townhouses were shaken, tiles fell off walls and all sorts of other mayhem ensued. The police were called. The Or Bor Tor engineer was called as the plans had no approval stamp on them (you must get approval from the Or Bor Tor engineer anyway unless you live in the middle of nowhere). Fights even started between the pile driving crew and foreman against local residents which included both soldiers and police and eventually guns were drawn. It was a bun fight. The patrol police at the scene managed to calm things down by having the local resident ranking police officer (a Colonel) and the local ranking army officer (also a Colonel) who both lived in the village take control (I use that word lightly) and have the pile driving crew and their foreman taken to the local police station where a number of complaints were taken against them. All work was ceased permanently. Both my neighbour and I bidded on the land, with my neighbour having first option if he could raise the money. He did. The land is now a garden for his wife.
It is unwise to either involve or listen to family members unless they can actually produce a degree from a real university that says they are qualified in that field. It is unwise to listen to them in regards to what they know about building. It is unwise not to have plans done either by an architect or draftsman. And it is unwise to even allow members of the family to be allowed anywhere near the builder once you select one.
There are enough horror stories on this blog about relatives and their involvement to keep even the most staunch supporter quiet. Even Max had issues with relatives (Max and Bee in Chiang Mai) and his was a good build because he took charge and supervised all the work.
Just a warning. Good luck when you start building.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks for the reality check guys. I’m still firm on the Or Bor Tor visit to inquire about piles or not.

Sometimewoodworker - I remember reading somewhere that there are basically three seasons in Thailand: March to May - Hot/Dry, June to October - Rainy, and November to February - Mild or Cool. So I’m thinking Halloween is a reliable start date.

RR - I’m still firm on the Or Bor Tor visit to inquire about piles or not. I cannot go to an A&E without this information. I do think piles are necessary and I will explain why. Although the house build is on top of a filled in pond (using pond dirt). During our last visit, we had to repair a dike on one of the ponds. We wanted to use the concrete floor planks and concrete poles about 3 meters long. To make this story short the poles failed when fill dirt was being placed. We then purchased some 6 meter long wooden poles and had them installed using a medium sized backhoe type tractor. The tractor pushed the poles in like sticking a screwdriver into a can of grease. The poles will probably hold for its intended use but the ease in which they were pushed into the ground convinced me that piles are definitely needed for this house build. How long is what the Or Bor Tor might be able to tell me.

By the way does anyone have data for shipping costs from USA to Thailand?

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 am

Alan wrote:By the way does anyone have data for shipping costs from USA to Thailand?

Alan,
You can ship from anywhere in the world using a Thai or in your case a US shipping agent, they will supply the container and their costs. They will also give you an estimate of the cost in getting it through Thai Customs (which should be in their bill) and then the problem is actually getting it from Thai Customs. There have been a number of horror stories about what the Thai Customs Department wanted in regards to "their fee" (which has already been paid by the shipping agent), in fact a number of times their fee is worth more than the contents of the container shipped, so much so the recipients have told them to keep it.
On the other hand there are some good stories where the container actually arrived on time, was cleared with no hassles and arrived at the destination earlier than expected.
I suggest you contact a Thai shipping agent.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Wed May 20, 2015 8:59 am

does anyone have a window & door contact? I'm looking for aluminum framed, double insulated, windows and doors
need price on:
15ea 1 m x 1.32 m Arch, brown aluminum, double glass with argon gas, windows
2ea 0.60m x 1m Arch, brown aluminum, double glass with argon gas, windows
1 ea 1.5 m x 1 m Arch, brown aluminum, double glass with argon gas, windows
1 ea sliding glass door, standard size, double glass with argon gas, door

appreciate any help.

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Klondyke » Wed May 20, 2015 9:26 am

Alan,
did you look in Thai Wasadu and/or Global House or others? They have some.

Alan wrote:
By the way does anyone have data for shipping costs from USA to Thailand?

The bulk shipping from USA is quite cheap since there are so many empty containers to be returned to Asia to be filled in again (otherwise the Walmart shelves would keep empty. :D )

That's why there is so many US timber sold to Asia with prices offered up to the Asian port. Eventually, some of them I am taking.

Klondyke

Postby Alan » Thu May 21, 2015 9:17 am

Klondyke, I was looking for aluminum frames. I cannot find any prices on thaiwatsado. I don't know where Global house is. I forgot to mention that these are for 20cm walls. do you know where they post any prices?

folks here recommend contacting an agency in Thailand for shipping information due to ease of getting through customs.

Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby pipoz » Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 am

Alan wrote:does anyone have a window & door contact? I'm looking for aluminum framed, double insulated, windows and doors
need price on:
15ea 1 m x 1.32 m Arch, brown aluminum, double glass with argon gas, windows
2ea 0.60m x 1m Arch, brown aluminum, double glass with argon gas, windows
1 ea 1.5 m x 1 m Arch, brown aluminum, double glass with argon gas, windows
1 ea sliding glass door, standard size, double glass with argon gas, door

appreciate any help.

Alan

If you are looking for Aluminium Window and Door Frames, try contacting
MTALUMET
ALUZAT CO LTD

Attached are several spreadsheets on cost/prices I obtained for both ALUMINIUM and also for UPVC Window and Door Frame Assemblies, (glazed) from a number of Thai Manufacturers-Distributors (many based down Bangkok way), if that is on any use to you

For UPVC, I looked at VEKA, EK-DECORATE (Windsor), EUROPVC (Alupast) and HEVTA, and also contacted PRIME ASIA (theirs were very nice, but very expensive)

pipoz
Attachments
000 A0 0801 2015 Happy House Window-Doors, Cost Rev A.xls
Window and Door Frame Costs
(111.5 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:00 am

It's been a long time since my last post but I think we are finally ready to the start this project. We have selected a contractor, have approved plans by the land office and decided to purchase most of the materials our self.

In May, we built a smaller house at the other end of the property because the existing barn/house will have to come down at some point. I learned a lot about what to expect from all entities involved, especially family.

Although the rain continues almost daily we are hoping the season will be over towards the end of the month so we are starting to order certain materials that will have to be manufactured (like piles).

I'm including a rendering of the house. Not the best picture but it will give you an idea of what we are expecting.
Attachments
384_front_view.jpg
Alan

Postby pipoz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:38 am

Alan wrote:It's been a long time since my last post but I think we are finally ready to the start this project. We have selected a contractor, have approved plans by the land office and decided to purchase most of the materials our self.

In May, we built a smaller house at the other end of the property because the existing barn/house will have to come down at some point. I learned a lot about what to expect from all entities involved, especially family.

Although the rain continues almost daily we are hoping the season will be over towards the end of the month so we are starting to order certain materials that will have to be manufactured (like piles).

I'm including a rendering of the house. Not the best picture but it will give you an idea of what we are expecting.

Its a nice patch of land (13 Rai) that you have.

What are you intending to use the ponds for?

pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story