price of steel forms

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

price of steel forms

Postby windjammer » Sat May 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Does anybody know the prices for the steel forms to make beams (20x30cm) and posts (20x20cm)
windjammer

Re: price of steel forms

Postby thaicbr » Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

i think you rent them.. where are you?
thaicbr

Postby pipoz » Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm

windjammer wrote:Does anybody know the prices for the steel forms to make beams (20x30cm) and posts (20x20cm)

For the amount of times that you will use them, why not make them from Ply and 4 x 2's. That is ,if you dont rent the steel ones

pipoz
pipoz

Postby sirineou » Tue May 28, 2013 1:45 am

I dont mean to put words in anyone's mouth, and if I am wrong I apologize. buy I Think windjammer might have meant cost of rental.
of course costs will vary based on ones location, but it would be interesting to hear from some that have rented
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby windjammer » Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 am

I am located in Chumpon. I want to buy the forms because i will be using them a lot .I used wood till now and it ends up costing a lot as well
windjammer

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 am

windjammer wrote:I am located in Chumpon. I want to buy the forms because i will be using them a lot .I used wood till now and it ends up costing a lot as well

I've seen them in Global house and seem to remember a price of ฿600 each. So since you may well need 100 or more its not chump change.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sirineou » Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 am

If you are using Forms a lot you might want to consider plastic faced plywood, in the construction of your forms
I am involved in the high-rise construction industry in the US, and we import our plastic faced plywood from China, the cost for a 4'x8 5/8" thick plastic face plywood is $23 USD per panel FOB in NYC when you order a container, a container contains 920 panels.
I am sure they deliver in Thailand but I dont know what the import duties are.
I get at least 5 uses out of each form
Also if you use wood forms , consider oiling the forms, it makes it easier to strip and they last longer.
If you are interested in plastic faced construction plywood from China you can find contacts at alibaba.com
This is one example
http://dynea.en.alibaba.com/product/887552820-215864160/abc.html?err_biz_type=null&url_type=pro_mini_pic_url_1&biz_type=clc_ifm_buyer_3d&crm_mtn_tracelog_plan_id=1698302610&crm_mtn_tracelog_task_id=29214858&crm_mtn_tracelog_log_id=4034964449
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Psychic » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Are form rentals available everywhere? 'll be near Chaam so where would I enquire? Is there generally a construction industry supply shop in most major centers?
Psychic

Postby pipoz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Psychic wrote:Are form rentals available everywhere? 'll be near Chaam so where would I enquire? Is there generally a construction industry supply shop in most major centers?

I posted under my build "Happy House Udon Thani" some pictures of steel forms and prices available at Thaiwatsadu, if you are interested

pipoz
Attachments
Photo0060 (Large).jpg
Face of Steel Forms
Photo0048 (Large).jpg
1220 400 TB 459
Photo0047 (Large).jpg
1200 x 300 TB 350
pipoz

Postby vanda » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:59 pm

This is also an expense I've been wondering about, the rental price of forms. I'm sure I've seen some figures somewhere, but I was a bad student and didn't take notes. I have a book with all my over estimated material costs and rough calculations of area used, unfortunately by the time I get to start my build inflation will have caught up with me :-)
vanda

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:45 am

vanda wrote:This is also an expense I've been wondering about, the rental price of forms. I'm sure I've seen some figures somewhere, but I was a bad student and didn't take notes. I have a book with all my over estimated material costs and rough calculations of area used, unfortunately by the time I get to start my build inflation will have caught up with me :-)

฿3 per form per day
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:05 am

vanda wrote:This is also an expense I've been wondering about, the rental price of forms. I'm sure I've seen some figures somewhere, but I was a bad student and didn't take notes. I have a book with all my over estimated material costs and rough calculations of area used, unfortunately by the time I get to start my build inflation will have caught up with me :-)

For me I did the numbers and assuming that you need to get the forms several days before the concrete is poured and then leave the forms in place for say 7 days after, then each use of a set of Forms will cost you about TB 27- 30. So if one can find a need for or get 12 to 15 uses out of them, then the Forms will eventually will pay for themselves over time.

To me, the advantages if buying your own Forms are that,
1.You have the Forms at you disposal when you need them and don't have to drive around looking for them on the day
2.You can build at your own pace in stages and be their and not be bound to using a Thai Builder
3.You will not have to worry abut stripping the Forms early just to return them and wont have to argue with a Thai to get your Deposit back
4.The Forms will will be yours and you will most likely keep them in much better condition than the shitty ones they rent to you, and you will use Form Oil
5.The Forms will have a residual value of say 50% when you have finished them and should be relatively easy to sell
6.You too can rent the Forms out to you Expat neighours and become a Thai Millionaire
7.They cost next to nothing and come in very handy

Given that I have about 300 meters of perimeter wall foundation to do and some other house foundations, I have decided to buy 42 Forms 1200 x 400 mm (= 50 linear meters worth & which will do me 25 meters of foundation beams at a time).

This way I can do my wall foundations at my slow turtle pace, when I am there and not be tired to a backyard Thai builder. I should get at least 15 uses out of them before I finish my work and ideally still have a set of good condition Forms at the end, arguably worth at least 50% of what I paid for them. Maybe they will rise in value like Artwork or Classic Cars.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Psychic » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Something for me to think about. Was trying to avoid the expense of buying forms but with multiple usage they definitely become more feasible. Are there forms for 20x20 posts there?
Guess I'll try a trip to TW and check them out.
Thanks.
Psychic

Postby pipoz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Psychic wrote:Something for me to think about. Was trying to avoid the expense of buying forms but with multiple usage they definitely become more feasible. Are there forms for 20x20 posts there?
Guess I'll try a trip to TW and check them out.
Thanks.

I didn't look for the Column/Post Forms as I was only interested in the Foundation ones, but if they have the Foundation ones then someone must sell smaller ones for the 200 x 200 columns/post.

Why not make your posts 300 x 300 mm and use the 1200 x 300mm Forms, as its only a little more concrete and concrete is cheap in Thailand. This way you buy one Form to do both and get more uses

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:53 pm

pipoz wrote:Why not make your posts 300 x 300 mm and use the 1200 x 300mm Forms, as its only a little more concrete and concrete is cheap in Thailand. This way you buy one Form to do both and get more uses

I agree, that's a great idea.
I wonder if you could run an experiment for me? I've often thought of using cling film or stronger plastic instead of the oil, could you try that on just one of the forms? I think it would work as well, if not better than the oil.
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to material prices & building costs