Q Con load bearing blocks price

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Q Con load bearing blocks price

Postby Jack&Amy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:14 pm

I have the Q Con leaflet , all written in Thai , although I can read 'load bearing ' and 'non load bearing' which are written in English in part of it....Feeling hopeful, so today I went to my local Homemart to find out more.......I should of stayed at home....

Clueless is the 1st word that comes to mind....

A couple of phone calls later and 'you will need to give us your plans and we will refer to Q Con'....Can't you just tell me how much a Q Con load bearing block is ? I asked.....Away went the girl in charge of foreign customers......Come, talk to this guy....another phone call later and it appears I need a G4 block, minimum thickness of 20cm, how much? Ah, you need to go back to the other girl for the cost..Off she goes and back she comes....45Baht as stated on their written quotation .......Hmmm, thats says 7.5 cm I pointed out to her, the guy said they had to be 20cm...oooops she says, I will check again as not my department......A few minutes later and ' I will need to check again,but the girl is busy now, can I have your email so that I can send you the quote '........Can you really not give me the cost of a 20x20x60 G4 load bearing block ?I asked again
I need to check with the factory, then clear it with my boss........I will call you once I have the price, she says.....

1 hour later she called, 121.50 per block.......No thanks I said,at that price I will stick with columns ....

Told you....I should have stayed at home
Jack&Amy

Re: Q Con load bearing blocks price

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Jack&Amy wrote:I have the Q Con leaflet , all written in Thai , although I can read 'load bearing ' and 'non load bearing' which are written in English in part of it....Feeling hopeful, so today I went to my local Homemart to find out more.......I should of stayed at home....

Clueless is the 1st word that comes to mind....

A couple of phone calls later and 'you will need to give us your plans and we will refer to Q Con'....Can't you just tell me how much a Q Con load bearing block is ? I asked.....Away went the girl in charge of foreign customers......Come, talk to this guy....another phone call later and it appears I need a G4 block, minimum thickness of 20cm, how much? Ah, you need to go back to the other girl for the cost..Off she goes and back she comes....45Baht as stated on their written quotation .......Hmmm, thats says 7.5 cm I pointed out to her, the guy said they had to be 20cm...oooops she says, I will check again as not my department......A few minutes later and ' I will need to check again,but the girl is busy now, can I have your email so that I can send you the quote '........Can you really not give me the cost of a 20x20x60 G4 load bearing block ?I asked again
I need to check with the factory, then clear it with my boss........I will call you once I have the price, she says.....

1 hour later she called, 121.50 per block.......No thanks I said,at that price I will stick with columns ....

Told you....I should have stayed at home

When I purchased them in 2010 they were 47฿ ... that's a tad more than the inflation rate; Ministry claim or even the real one!

You really do need to shop around as, even though the 7.5cm block has become almost ubiquitous, the 20cm [minimum accepted as load-bearing in LOS] is still a rare form of the species and unknown to most sellers; so it's think of a price and double it :roll:

Mine are not actually Q-Con but have the same Hebel authentication.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Jack&Amy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 pm

I must point out that Q Con list 2 grades , G2 & G4.......Homemart told me , after the phone calls to Q Con, that I must use G4 for load bearing walls.....if I'm not using any columns....

MGV12...Heres a price comparison that I have.....

One Stock Home , I think they are in or near Saraburi, list 20cm Q con @ 60Baht each ( btw, 7.5cm are 17.25 Baht each )
Local Homemart @ 92 Baht each ( this price must have been for the G2 as today I was quoted 121.50 for G4 )....7.5cm @ 36Baht
Jack&Amy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:23 am

Jack&Amy wrote:One Stock Home , I think they are in or near Saraburi, list 20cm Q con @ 60Baht each ( btw, 7.5cm are 17.25 Baht each )
Local Homemart @ 92 Baht each ( this price must have been for the G2 as today I was quoted 121.50 for G4 )....7.5cm @ 36Baht

Some things have changed over the last few years because when I bought my 7.5 inch Q-Con blocks I was told that they must be bought through their agent and at the time they were just 18 baht each. I'd tried buying them through Thai Warsadu and Home Pro and got the same reply....must be through the agent. I might add there were thousands of blocks of "another" brand sitting at Thai Watsadu, but I ordered through the agent....there was a waiting period of two weeks, and the blocks duely arrived on time without any problems. Then the floods arrived.
Within those 3 months the price went from 18 baht to 25 baht to 32 baht and they were impossible to order through the agent. Thai Watsadu's pile of the "other" brand had gone, even though flood "damaged" but they did order another 1,000 or so for me at 23 baht each. And I was still 1,000 short and by then Thai Watsadu had sold all their new stock and so I scrounged at smaller places for 32 baht a pop or whatever price they quoted.
I'd talk to Q-Con and find out who their local agent is in your area... they'll have a couple; then call them. The price will be standard, but there will be a waiting period, but you might be surprised at the difference in the price. I think their minimum order was for 1,000 blocks (of 7.5s) and that included free delivery.
There's a huge difference in price depending on who's selling them so I'd shop around and if they are still too expensive, go the 7.5s with columns.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Jack&Amy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 am

Thx as always RR.....
I am going with 20 x 20 columns and most likely 2 skins of 7.5 Q Con or similar AAC blocks with a 5cm cavity...It was just out of interest to ask about the cost of load bearing blocks, .....Possibly might go with the 20cm block, depends on my finances at the time...

One Stock Home list the price @ 17.25 but do add 'ex factory'.....Delivery to me approx 3 hrs away is 8000Baht, based on a full trailer load of some 4000 blocks , that adds 2 baht to each block , making them very reasonable at around 20 Baht each...
Jack&Amy

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 am

Look I think you are better off in the long run , sticking with the normal Thai system of columns for a start. It is a good system with the roof being tied right down to the ground, which depending on your area regarding strong winds can be the best and safest way of doing it. I.E. Darwin after the Tornado hit it ,changed all it's building codes as far as tying down the roof through the load bearing walls, (Guaranteed timber brackets and steel straps down to the foundations) The same in the Snowy Mountains where they get excessive strong winds at times. Apart from the fact that columns are all the Thai builders know (Don't confuse them any more than you have to) My T.G. didn't want columns showing inside, so I used the 75m.m. ones flush on the inside with the 200mm columns showing on the outside with 100m.m. thick Q-Con on walls where there was a lot of pipe chasing. Obviously thicker walls or double skin 75mm is better, with the latter being more economical , why on earth thicker blocks cost so much more than the extra material in them is a mystery that not even the Thai's can explain. T.I.T.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:25 am

Jack&Amy wrote:I am going with 20 x 20 columns and most likely 2 skins of 7.5 Q Con or similar AAC blocks with a 5cm cavity...It was just out of interest to ask about the cost of load bearing blocks,

I was going to go with the 20cm Q-Con blocks, but Max (Max and Bee in Chiang Mai build) talked me into the double skin of 7.5 blocks with the air gap, plumbing and electrical in the cavity and I've never regretted it. It also hides my columns nicely and would take just about anything nature could throw at it like that.
I also extended the rebar in all my second floor columns so that the roof trusses could be welded to them....and if I ever want to add a third story the rebar is always there to extend on.
I used just over 4,000 X 7.5 Q-Con blocks, and at 20 baht a block you have a steal. The driven piles will take the weight of the 20 X 20 columns too because that was on the original specs for my rather large house that was to have a concrete roof. Just be careful with the engineer, make sure he knows you're using Superblock. I had close to 90 pages of data printed out along with the plans and many of my piles were linked at the footings to carry the extra loads involved. Some footings were linked to three piles and others to two. The staircases (concrete) both outside and inside were where I paid the most attention because most of the Thai houses I've seen the staircases have broken away from the house because they failed to put down piles and footings there to support them.
Roger Ramjet

Return to material prices & building costs