Piling

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Piling

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 am

Current prices for piling anyone?

I'm told I will be needing 8 metre long friction piles 22cm x 22cm...This has been calculated with no soil test being carried out to date, this is what we use around here is my take on how the size and length have been determined.....

They will be needed in Prachinburi province,200km outside of BKK...I sourced one company about 40km away that make only the piles, they couldn't help when the wife asked about installation...

Any designs / design info for pile caps greatly received....The design will be on my drawings, just want to get it clear in my head whats needed first...

Thx
Jack&Amy

Re: Piling

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 am

Jack&Amy wrote:I'm told I will be needing 8 metre long friction piles 22cm x 22cm...This has been calculated with no soil test being carried out to date, this is what we use around here is my take on how the size and length have been determined.....

They will be needed in Prachinburi province,200km outside of BKK...I sourced one company about 40km away that make only the piles, they couldn't help when the wife asked about installation...

Any designs / design info for pile caps greatly received....The design will be on my drawings, just want to get it clear in my head whats needed first...

There are two types of piles, driven (bang bang) and bored, the latter is more expensive but will support a greater weight. If you have neighbours and use driven piles expect a lot of complaints and bills for their walls cracking. Driven piles are cheap, bored piles are expensive, but are far stronger.
A quick trip to the Or Bor Tor engineer and he'll have all the geo maps and be able to tell you what depth the friction piles need to go and hence the size you'll need. He'll also be able to put you in contact with a reputable pile installer.
If you look at some of the builds they give detailed instructions and photos about how to link the foundations to the piles. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=330 here's mine, just go back a few pages and forward a few pages and you'll see all the photos, testing of piles, comments from other members and actual depths the piles went in. There's a huge difference the piles went down in just a small area, I think the shortest was 15 metres and the longest 32 metres.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Many thanks RR.......and the costs are?
Jack&Amy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Jack&Amy wrote:Many thanks RR.......and the costs are?

For 51 bore piles and free survey, free testing of each pile cost 650,000 or there about. If it had been driven piles you can say it would have only been 200,000...... + pissed off neighbours....+ damages to their houses. If you don't have near neighnours and it is not a large construction go for the driven piles. My house was totally over-engineered but it will still be here in 200 years come floods, earthquake or storms. Over-engineering is good, I like things to last.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm

I paid 469,000 baht for 67 piles of 7 metres each - or 1,000 Baht per metre.
(See http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698&start=45 and further for details.)
fredlk

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks guys.....just trying to get some kind of mental budget in place...

No near neighbours ( buildings at least ) only their fields which I water when needed and receive any flood water back in return when they dont need it...
Driven piles it will be
Jack&Amy

Postby Jack&Amy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 am

Actually, I am also considering a raft / mat foundation instead of piling.........I would appreciate any feedback if a build has taken this route....
Jack&Amy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am

Jack&Amy wrote:Actually, I am also considering a raft / mat foundation instead of piling.........I would appreciate any feedback if a build has taken this route....

That would have to be supervised to the max. I doubt Thais could understand the principles at all. And the plumbing would be a real bugger, one mistake and it would be near impossible to rectify. It would also mean you lose any underneath parking/storage and you'd have to raise the ground level high enough to stop flooding.
You'd also have to find an architect who knew what he was doing as the rebar complexity alone for the outside 1 metre would cause problems, especially for the Thai rebar tie-ins. Supervising that task would put massive strain on you, the builder and his team, the machinery operator clearing the dirt, and don't forget the amount of plastic that would be required to be laid before the rebar and concrete could be poured.
The whole thing would be a mammoth task and I'm not sure a Thai builder would understand.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:That would have to be supervised to the max. I doubt Thais could understand the principles at all. And the plumbing would be a real bugger, one mistake and it would be near impossible to rectify. It would also mean you lose any underneath parking/storage and you'd have to raise the ground level high enough to stop flooding.
You'd also have to find an architect who knew what he was doing as the rebar complexity alone for the outside 1 metre would cause problems, especially for the Thai rebar tie-ins. Supervising that task would put massive strain on you, the builder and his team, the machinery operator clearing the dirt, and don't forget the amount of plastic that would be required to be laid before the rebar and concrete could be poured.
The whole thing would be a mammoth task and I'm not sure a Thai builder would understand.

Is that a NO then? :lol:
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:00 pm

I agree about the amount of supervision required, plus the initial design. The main problem being you don't want to go too far away from the normal Thai building method, I.E. all loads above the ground are carried down to columns ,not as in most Western builds spread over all the walls. Which means the columns would have to be engineered into the slab which is one solid piece of concrete with no weak points. How that all would compare price wise with Piles ( Baht 4 to 500,000 ) I have no idea.
Mike Judd

Postby Jack&Amy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Thx for the comments guys, I really do appreciate it and I am bouncing some ideas off of you all.......

I saw this and thought it was rather simple to understand and something I think I could control / manage..........http://civilconstructiontips.blogspot.c ... on.html....

My land is flat , I plan a single floor using lightweight blocks and at worst, Cpac concrete type roof tiles on a Smart-truss type roof......

For the cost of piling,pile caps and columns etc. , I am thinking a raft type foundation might be a better option, even though I will spend more on concrete, this will be offset against the cost of piles etc....and at least I can build straight off of it...
Jack&Amy

Return to material prices & building costs