Building Costs in Sakon Nakhon

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Building Costs in Sakon Nakhon

Postby Tharae » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I was quite successful with my build with out any Architect drawings ,just sketches and measurements at each stage for my 2 guys who dug out the footings after I pegged them out and we had checked for square etc; I mean you work out how big all the rooms are that you want on a piece of paper and where you want them. This is easier with a single storey of course as you have no stair well to worry about which needs a lot planning to make sure there is enough room for the correct height steps. The column starter steel went in with the footings, then all the septic and waste water pipes were laid before laying the floor slab which had one course of Thai concrete blocks as permanent formwork on top of the footings at the edge. This was done in one month on my trip over.This was done with just my 2 guys tying steel and a couple of extra Lab when concreting. I then set them up with all the materials to form up and pour twenty columns 3.4mt high X 20c.m. square until my next visit 6months later.That month was spent arranging for the steel sections on top of all the columns (No ring beam in concrete) this was then ready for the Smart truss which I contracted out ,also the roof tiles , all through Home Mart. That month was spent organising and ordering materials mainly ,( plus one week down on Samui for a break.) The next trip again for the 30 days non visa I got all the walls built in Q-Con, while I put all the plumbing water pipes in to where they would be needed. Next trip the windows and doors were contracted out and the same contractor did the eave linings and all the ceilings inside. I also bought all the floor and bathroom tiles while there and left my 2 guys to lay them when I left.
My last trip for 2 months this time in April was spent with outside work ,Septic tank connecting , digging a hole for a dam/inground water tank and all the paths /drain around the house, and of course having a western style Kitchen installed. All the tiling was O.K. except for 2 minor bits of stupidity, I had bought those new stainless 1 mt long floor drains, to go at the shower entrance, ! bathroom was O.K. but for some reason he didn't bother to square it off of the wall in the other bathroom (T.I.T. ) I made him cut it out and redo it .
There other thing was the Power points on the wall, he cut the tiles around the P.P. instead of the box , looks terrible to me, but I suppose he didn't want to take off the P.P. I will have to get a surround plate to mount the P.P.on as the screws are long enough. Too many really big tiles there to take off.
All of this has been over a few years but there is no reason it couldn't have been continuous, the main criterion is having guys you can trust when not on site , mine were relatives but I was able to break them in
with earlier jobs like the front wall and the garage to set the standards, plus they were pretty used to Thai building as far as steel fixing /concreting/block laying and tiling was concerned. My T.G.'s brother kept a tally of what ever days they worked at Baht400 per day and then 500 recently, and as mentioned my solution for workers for other trades was to go out to the big new housing estates around Khon Kaen, check their work out and get a price from them. I hope this rather long winded account is maybe of some help, but as every one else has said, being on site and at least keeping an eye on things as much as possible is the safest bet, even in OZ you need someone with a vested interest on site, no one else is bothered, it's not their baby.!

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your response.

The two guys you had from the get go. Where they relatives of your partner? Lots of comments on the site warning against using relatives. My assumption is, it depends on how well you know and/or trust them. We have already used relatives to remove the original traditional timber Thai house from the property that my wife lived in as a child and infill the land to a level it. Both very simple tasks, but nonetheless done to our satisfaction.

I'm curious about the tiling in the wet areas around the PP. Wouldn't the PP face plate have been installed by the electrician after the tiling had been done? Or have I misunderstood the issue you raised?

Was your finished cost/sqm similar to others - circa BT 12,000?
Tharae

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Sent you a PM

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:08 am

The two guys you had from the get go. Where they relatives of your partner? Lots of comments on the site warning against using relatives. My assumption is, it depends on how well you know and/or trust them. We have already used relatives to remove the original traditional timber Thai house from the property that my wife lived in as a child and infill the land to a level it. Both very simple tasks, but nonetheless done to our satisfaction.

I'm curious about the tiling in the wet areas around the PP. Wouldn't the PP face plate have been installed by the electrician after the tiling had been done? Or have I misunderstood the issue you raised?

Yes they were ,one was her brother who more or less looks after the place for us ,cuts the grass on the Ride on that I sent over from Oz, the other was his brother in-law who was the experienced one in concreting /steel fixing (He knocked up a bench for bending the steel in half hour) Form work/block laying /rendering/ tiling /Painting , they had already built their own house together, not to western standards as far as fittings etc; but structurally sound . Unfortunately he has now got a job as the maintenance guy on a big school so was only available in the school holidays on my last visit. Luckily they brought another guy along who is nearly as good with everything, so he is fixing the split stone cladding around the house now with my partner's brother . I suppose it depends on your luck with Thai's , they can be a bit like the Abo's here in Oz , go "Walk about" for various reasons. With the tiling , I'am almost sure the switch plates were all on around the house , I should have taken them off in the bathroom then he could have cut the tiles tight around the box itself, instead of the switch plate which is now flush with the tile face and grouted in with the tiles. I had to laugh when I saw them and shake my head. Nothing that can't be fixed later though.
My cost so far for the house (154sqmts) including the concrete tank (30,000 Lt in the ground) and the 180 sqmts of concrete paths and drain around the house comes to Baht 1,300,000 which I believe works out at about Baht 8,500 sqmt. Mind you costs have probably gone up over the last 4 years and I have never had dozens of men laying around watching a couple of women doing the work as seems to be the case often. They all have to be paid for even if they are cheap.Plus I have been the builder through out , I don't know what they charge for all their organising etc;.?
Mike Judd

Postby Tharae » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:40 am

pipoz wrote:Sent you a PM

pipoz

Thanks Pipoz.
Tharae

Postby Tharae » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 am

Mike Judd wrote:The two guys you had from the get go. Where they relatives of your partner? Lots of comments on the site warning against using relatives. My assumption is, it depends on how well you know and/or trust them. We have already used relatives to remove the original traditional timber Thai house from the property that my wife lived in as a child and infill the land to a level it. Both very simple tasks, but nonetheless done to our satisfaction.

Yes they were ,one was her brother who more or less looks after the place for us ,cuts the grass on the Ride on that I sent over from Oz, the other was his brother in-law who was the experienced one in concreting /steel fixing (He knocked up a bench for bending the steel in half hour) Form work/block laying /rendering/ tiling /Painting , they had already built their own house together, not to western standards as far as fittings etc; but structurally sound . Unfortunately he has now got a job as the maintenance guy on a big school so was only available in the school holidays on my last visit. Luckily they brought another guy along who is nearly as good with everything, so he is fixing the split stone cladding around the house now with my partner's brother . I suppose it depends on your luck with Thai's , they can be a bit like the Abo's here in Oz , go "Walk about" for various reasons. With the tiling , I'am almost sure the switch plates were all on around the house , I should have taken them off in the bathroom then he could have cut the tiles tight around the box itself, instead of the switch plate which is now flush with the tile face and grouted in with the tiles. I had to laugh when I saw them and shake my head. Nothing that can't be fixed later though.
My cost so far for the house (154sqmts) including the concrete tank (30,000 Lt in the ground) and the 180 sqmts of concrete paths and drain around the house comes to Baht 1,300,000 which I believe works out at about Baht 8,500 sqmt. Mind you costs have probably gone up over the last 4 years and I have never had dozens of men laying around watching a couple of women doing the work as seems to be the case often. They all have to be paid for even if they are cheap.Plus I have been the builder through out , I don't know what they charge for all their organising etc;.?

Clearly, you're fortunate to be able to draw on experience family members. I expect this is somewhat of a rarity. You have achieved some remarkable savings. My wife favours packaging up the work for the various trades and paying by the completion of the parcel of work, not hourly rates. This could infer a smaller number of larger packages of work. The savings may not be as great, but the build should be less complicated for me. What do you think?

I wouldn't be too harsh on the workmanship of the tradies in Thailand. We have some beauties here in Oz. A couple of houses ago I had the plumbers install a tap for the fridge icemaker. The idiots connected to the hot water service, so I had warm water going through the fridge. They rightly deserved the Dilbert award for that.
Tharae

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 pm

You are so right about Tradies ! they can vary a lot in any country. But you are spot on about my guys , I probably was lucky but I did try them out first starting with the front wall , then the garage and as I mentioned I had seen their own house as well. Then I was always rewarding them along the way which although no big deal for me , was for them. I even got them to buy the tiles and tile the floors in some of the local school's class rooms as our contribution to local affairs, this was to give them some work while we were away, but also paid dividends later when wanting extra men for concrete pours in a hurry." You reap what you sow"
With your case I can only recommend finding local housing estates if any , that's where the good trades are and they are usually squeezed down with the prices for getting lots of regular work, so they eager for any work that's going to pay a bit extra. Plus you get to see an example of the work, which is the main criterion.
Mike Judd

Postby Tharae » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:53 pm

There are quite a few estate builds going on the Sakon Nakhon now. Not sure where the tradies are coming from, so I will follow-up on your advice about sourcing trades from those sites. May even be able to pick up a supervisor from there as well, I guess, if there isn't too much work going on at the time we're ready to build.
Tharae

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs