Window info needed....Please

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Window info needed....Please

Postby pattayapope » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:02 am

This is from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield

I think there is a lot of confusion about laminated glass and films applied after the glass is fitted (as an option like car wind sheilds), I don't want to jump in feet first but lets make sure we are all on the same playing field :roll:
pattayapope

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:29 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Thailand is an exception as we found out. A windscreen was fitted while we were away, it should have been laminated but was plain (tea money?). It went while I was driving and we were lucky not to have been badly injured. Think large long very sharp pieces of glass.

How can a very long sharp piece of glass break-away from a 3M tinted windscreen that has, I surmise been cracked by a stone?

You are confusing me with someone else, or that windscreen with another. It only had a film at the top
P3082003.jpg

P3082002.jpg

it was unlamented and not toughened

where the film was it didn't fall in. I was lucky to be able to stop before it mostly came in.

It wasnt original equipment
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:44 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:During the 70s,80,and 90s all cars had to be fitted with a laminated glass windscreen, then a laminated, "zone toughened" windscreen, then they changed that to normal glass as safety belts and finally air bags were introduced as they found people were forgetting to wear seat belts but being killed by being thrown through the windscreen.

Here you say not laminated and not "zone toughened" but "normal glass"

Roger Ramjet wrote:Windscreens are the same and have been standardised in all car manufacturing countries....which includes Thailand. Look on any windscreen and it will tell you what it is Laminated, zone toughened etc and tint is mandatory for Thailand. If one windscreen, in one car, made in Thailand splintered and dropped shards of glass on one passenger then the car manufacturer here would be in so much trouble they would be forced into bankruptcy by the US, EU, Great Britain etc etc etc.

Yet here you say laminated or zone toughened

Which is correct?

FWIW My current windscreen is laminated Toyota OEM and has a 3M IR reduction film on 80% with a darker shade at the top for daytime sun glare and night time headlight glare reduction
P3092029.jpg

P3092028.jpg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Yet here you say laminated or zone toughened

Which is correct?

I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you about car windscreens, but if anyone has a newish car just go look at the front windscreen and it will not only have what it is on it in black see-through lettering, the side windows will as well, and so will the back window and all are different.
And if the car has had tint added like 3M it will be on the inside of the window, not the outside and will have a code in see-through black lettering on it.
I was trying to make a point about the differences between glass nowadays and certainly screwed it up.
But I will say it again, if you buy 6mm glass windows they are very very very hard to break.
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to windows and doors