Window info needed....Please

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Window info needed....Please

Postby Baht Man » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:32 pm

My builder uses 5 mil. green glass as "standard".

The window folks have been out a few days installing the frames and offered up some options.

The first is 6 mil. touting thesloar benifits with an up charge of 35 baht per sq. ft.

Second is something they're calling Solar Tech (Tek).
Looks semi mirrored and a bit darker than the 6 mil. green and running 80 per sq. ft.

Can someone tell me if the pricing seems right and if theres any value or benifits to either?

The front of my house faces east and gets morning sun only and if I installed them at all, it would there.
All the other windows are in shade all day.

Additionally they're asking me if I want screens, which I do. I know of a place in Udon that will make them after the windows are installed and will make a drive there tommorow to get their price. Does anyone know what they cost??

Thanks for the assist.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Re: Window info needed....Please

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Baht Man wrote:Additionally they're asking me if I want screens, which I do. I know of a place in Udon that will make them after the windows are installed and will make a drive there tommorow to get their price. Does anyone know what they cost??

When my windows and doors were installed the fly screens came free.
Make sure if you are having another company do it, that the people who put in the windows and doors use the correct aluminum runners that have screen runners as part of the frame.
You should actually be selecting the quality of the aluminum frame before you even consider the type of glass.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Frames are actually quite good with the proper runners.
I need info about the glass.

Thanks
Baht Man

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi Baht Man

The following may not quite answer your question, but might be of help

Re. My builder uses 5 mil. green glass as "standard".

The first question I would ask him back is; By Standard, does he mean "Clear Float Glass" or "Clear Laminated Glass ". You don't want Float Glass, certainly not in and doors. You want Laminated or Toughened/Tempered glass.

The second question is; Why only 5 mm thick glass. Most Window - Door manufacturers the I have emailed over the past month, have come back and recommended 6.38 mm thick glass. In my case I went for 3+3 Laminated = 6.38 mm thick glass.

I don't know what your windows & doors sizes are, but I have attached my drawing. All windows & doors will have Clear 6.38 mm thick Laminated Glass and for the bigger Front Door Assembly I will probably upgrade to 8 mm thick Laminated Glass for Safety.

I went for clear glass to start with, because I just couldn't find anyone to give me a smoke grey laminated glass. I am resigned to applying a 3 M tinted film to the West & Rear sliding door assemblies afterwards, if I need to.

I do have a cost comparison between the 6 mm Float Glass and the 6.38 mm Laminated Glass if you are interested.

pipoz
Attachments
DRAWING-142-1.pdf
Windows & Doors
(141.76 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 am

Baht Man,
The only place you should have laminated glass in your house is in the shower.
The size you should have is 6mm, which is two sheet of 3mm with a film of 3m tint between or on one side. The 3M tint will hold them together if they are broken.... I haven't seen one break yet and it makes it really hard for someone to break in with the tint.
There was a huge discussion on this (types of glass) in another thread when I was dithering about what to use. I'm dosed up with pain medication at the moment and can't find it but I'm sure someone will help.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 am

His "standard" costing applies to numerous items used in the build ranging from roof, floor and bath tiles to toilets, doors and other fixtures, including windows.
His list, compared to others I talked, to were nearly identical, but his per.sq.mt. price was less and the build quality better than what I observed with the others as well.

I pay the difference, if upgrading, including screens and glass other than std.

Thanks for the attachment and info.
You can send me the info. on the costing if it's convienent.

Thanks
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Baht Man,
The size you should have is 6mm, which is two sheet of 3mm with a film of 3m tint between or on one side. The 3M tint will hold them together if they are broken.... I haven't seen one break yet and it makes it really hard for someone to break in with the tint.
There was a huge discussion on this (types of glass) in another thread when I was dithering about what to use. I'm dosed up with pain medication at the moment and can't find it but I'm sure someone will help.

Thanks Rog.

I settled on the 6mm green but I never looked at the edge to see if it was a 2 piece, but it did look heftier.
Off to Udon to check on screen costs.

Go back to bed.
Baht Man

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am

Good advice from Pipoz, don't use float glass on any doors and if you don't mind the cost adder the same for windows, I used tempered glass on my build but given the choice again I would use laminated glass. Fancy films do work but are an expensive add on and only use in locations were direct sun light is a problem, also they act as barrier to look in during the day (mirror effect) but the oposite happens on night time so keep your curtains closed unless you want to give the neighbours a thrill. :lol: :lol: :lol:
pattayapope

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:01 am

I looked and asked about tint prior and decided against it.

6mm green should be ok as I only get morning sun on the front and the west facing windows are only bathrooms and laundry.

Making notes on laminated glass.

Thanks
Baht Man

Postby pipoz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:33 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Baht Man,

Disagree. Have you ever seen a child after they have ran through a door with Float glass

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:13 pm

pipoz wrote:Disagree. Have you ever seen a child after they have ran through a door with Float glass

This was the discussion before in another thread. I have never seen a child run through 6mm glass with 3M film, ever, period. I've seen a lot of kids and adults bounce off 6mm glass doors and look rather stunned, including a 16 stone man, but I have never seen a child run through 6 mm glass with 3M film. (I'm using 3M film because I can't remember the scientific name for the process).
During the 70s,80,and 90s all cars had to be fitted with a laminated glass windscreen, then a laminated, "zone toughened" windscreen, then they changed that to normal glass as safety belts and finally air bags were introduced as they found people were forgetting to wear seat belts but being killed by being thrown through the windscreen. As well when a stone shattered the windscreen it took a quick thinking person to punch a hole through it before he/she crashed and killed themselves.
Float glass is used extensively in Australia. There are two standards. http://www.stegbar.com.au/Info-Centre/G ... ing/Safety both are float glass with a different process attached. http://www.wfaanz.org.au/FlatGlassAU.htm Not only gives all the standards it also contains recommendations.
It bemuses me that everyone is talking about how much money they can save using 3 mm or 5 mm glass then saying that the glass needs to be laminated or whatever or without the magic film of "3M" between. If people are so damned safety conscience and so very worried about their kids safety, why are they skrimping and saving in that one area where they believe is the most dangerous to them and their children? Rather like a bank having a motto of Honesty and Integretity then charging the largest interest rate and the highest fees to their lowest depositors.
Honi soit qui mal y pense I say.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:21 pm

I agree.

Off to Lao tomorrow but am haing a sit down with the builder about the door glass.
He told the Ms. he will get whatever I want.

In the US all patio doors and ANY glass less than 18" off the floor must be safety glass.

Thanks for the input.
Baht Man

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:During the 70s,80,and 90s all cars had to be fitted with a laminated glass windscreen, then a laminated, "zone toughened" windscreen, then they changed that to normal glass as safety belts and finally air bags were introduced as they found people were forgetting to wear seat belts but being killed by being thrown through the windscreen. As well when a stone shattered the windscreen it took a quick thinking person to punch a hole through it before he/she crashed and killed themselves.

Sorry wrong. In most country's normal glass can never be fitted as a windscreen. It must be either laminated (usual) or toughened (cheaper) but never normal glass.

Thailand is an exception as we found out. A windscreen was fitted while we were away, it should have been laminated but was plain (tea money?). It went while I was driving and we were lucky not to have been badly injured. Think large long very sharp pieces of glass.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:Disagree. Have you ever seen a child after they have ran through a door with Float glass

Float glass is used extensively in Australia. There are two standards. http://www.stegbar.com.au/Info-Centre/G ... ing/Safety both are float glass with a different process attached. http://www.wfaanz.org.au/FlatGlassAU.htm Not only gives all the standards it also contains recommendations.
It bemuses me that everyone is talking about how much money they can save using 3 mm or 5 mm glass then saying that the glass needs to be laminated or whatever or without the magic film of "3M" between. If people are so damned safety conscience and so very worried about their kids safety, why are they skrimping and saving in that one area where they believe is the most dangerous to them and their children? Rather like a bank having a motto of Honesty and Integretity then charging the largest interest rate and the highest fees to their lowest depositors. Honi soit qui mal y pense I say.

From what I read in other posts, people were just comparing costs of various glass types and colour options, and not necessarily looking to save money. I certainly didn't ready anything about people suggesting or inferring "Sacrificing Safety for Cost"

With respect Roger, you have interpreted the "Why are they Skimping and Saving for Safety", rather than actually reading it!

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Thailand is an exception as we found out. A windscreen was fitted while we were away, it should have been laminated but was plain (tea money?). It went while I was driving and we were lucky not to have been badly injured. Think large long very sharp pieces of glass.

How can a very long sharp piece of glass break-away from a 3M tinted windscreen that has, I surmise been cracked by a stone? The 3M is on the inside of the windscreen and the rock, because that's wat it would have had to have been, must have been huge.... unless of course it wasn't tinted, in which case it's a moot point.
What does this have to do with 6mm windows and doors that have been treated with http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... dow_Films/ There's also a section for car windows.
My whole point is that glass must pass a "shot test" where a bag of lead is swung against the glass. If it is two 3mm panes of glass that has a film between it, that will stop the glass from splintering. Windscreens are the same and have been standardised in all car manufacturing countries....which includes Thailand. Look on any windscreen and it will tell you what it is Laminated, zone toughened etc and tint is mandatory for Thailand. If one windscreen, in one car, made in Thailand splintered and dropped shards of glass on one passenger then the car manufacturer here would be in so much trouble they would be forced into bankruptcy by the US, EU, Great Britain etc etc etc. And windscreens are made in Thailand, just like glass is and it must pass tests, even here. Just have a look at all the cars that have been used as crash vehicles on 7/11 stores and banks and yet the 2X3mm and 6mm glass doesn't splinter because it is held together by the film 3M or whatever the scientific name/process is.

No, Pipoz, what I'm saying is that 6mm glass with film over it is very very very hard to break and will not send shards of glass into children.
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to windows and doors