Sliding INTERIOR Doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Sliding INTERIOR Doors

Postby Baht Man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 am

I'm looking at sliding doors as well. Went to Home Pro as also. Doors over there, hardware over here.

They told me to pick the door and they would size the hardware, bsaed on door weight.
Tracks and wheels looked fine and a small tab on the bottom for a guide and stability.
But that means cutting a grove in the door bottom, no problem if you have the right eq.

Alum. track is inside the room (in my case) and not exposed much as the pic before.
Should be easy enough for me to do myself.

Cheers.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Postby jazzman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:35 am

originally posted by jazzman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 am
Available absolutely everywhere, and even with discretely hidden rails and wheels. Any local producer of aluminium doors and windows will be able to advise. The cost is based mainly on the glass.

Why look for expensive solutions à la HomePro?

Nearly every amphur town has its local aluminium door and window merchant - the 'll come round to your house and you can be absolutely sure of what you are getting.

I am currently installing aluminium framed, and frameless tempered glass doors for my new showroom. The cost is Baht 78,000.00 (including installed within 3 days of when I'm ready for it ) from the local supplier I've been using for 8 years; the control quote from HomePro was over Baht 90,000.00 (not installed), estimated 7 days delivery (but in reality reckon on more like 3 weeks)
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Baht Man » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm in the hunt now for the same thing.
As I posted earlier, most big box places have the hardware, and strenght is based on the door weight.

One problem I've run into is size.

The builder framed for an 80 cm. std. door and I want to use a wood/glass door in the opening.
All the doors I've looked at max out at 80 cm. and there would be no overlap.

Additionally one must consider a locking system, typically available at the store that sells the doors.
Without a frame, theres nothing to lock into.
I need to look at some type of frame to one. shrink the opening and 2, have a place for the latch to connect to.

If anyone has an idea, I'd be happy :D

Thanks
Baht Man

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Baht Man wrote:Additionally one must consider a locking system, typically available at the store that sells the doors.
I need to look at some type of frame to one. shrink the opening and 2, have a place for the latch to connect to.

If anyone has an idea, I'd be happy

Thanks

I have a number of very heavy sliding doors that slide along their aluminum top mounted runners without any problem. Locks are easy to find as well with a key one side and a latch the other. I made surrounds of wood so the lock sits flush and the latch slips in. I can take photos if you like now my camera is back working.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Baht Man wrote:Additionally one must consider a locking system, typically available at the store that sells the doors.

If anyone has an idea, I'd be happy

Thanks

I have a number of very heavy sliding doors that slide along their aluminum top mounted runners without any problem. Locks are easy to find as well with a key one side and a latch the other. I made surrounds of wood so the lock sits flush and the latch slips in. I can take photos if you like now my camera is back working.

Yes, I was looking at the same runners at a nuumber of places.
My opening is 80 cm as stated and my main concern was shrinking it down for on overlap and how to mount the latch against a now tile wall.

Pics of the surrounds and latch would be nice.

Thanks RR.
Baht Man

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:46 am

Baht Man,
Firstly let me give you a few warnings. If you shop at Home Pro do not go to the door section for the aluminum slide and ball races..... they in their infinite wisdom have them in accessories. Also, do not buy the cheap mean and nasty Chinese ball races with just the two lots of bearings. Be brave, buy the German (Haffle) ones with three ball bearing races....There's a lot of weight when you hang that door. Which brings me to the next part, be kind to your carpenter, for he knows not what he does. I showed mine how to instal the first door, the second door and the third door, then did it myself with my handyman Mr. Cheong which made it far simpler.
If you have a router making the running groove along the bottom takes seconds and if you don't make sure your carpenter does have one and knows how to use it. You can actually get a mini router at HomePro or Thai Watsadu for about 1,000 baht, otherwise the "carpenter" will be bound to screw the door completely and then blame it on someone else or his "router old", or some such other stupid statement.
I apologise for the quality of the photos, my camera is not to blame, I am just a crap photographer and on saying that, here are the photos:
Attachments
runs on a ball race.jpg
The ball races (triple) are inside
locking thingy.jpg
As I said I used wood surrounds on all my hanging doors to make it easier on the carpenter..... myself and Mr. Cheong.
key and latch.jpg
Key and latch showing
inside lock.jpg
This is the inside lock..... once the key is removed from the outside it is the way to lock yourself in the dunny without interuption
aluminum slide.jpg
This is the slide the ball races slot into, it should be fitted into place and bolted first. Make sure you use a plumb bob to mark where the door will hang so you can mark where the guide will go
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks again Rog.

Pics are acceptable and the same as my planning, I just need to create the latch side frame and something above to have the glide on.

Cheers.
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:45 am

Is that wallpaper above?
What did you se to seal the door, being in a wet area?
Baht Man

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:06 am

Baht Man wrote:something above to have the glide on.

My something above was a beam (door lintel) over the superblock.
Baht Man wrote:Is that wallpaper above?

Yes, The whole house is wallpapered. Most of the wallpaper is imported from Italy. For sealing the wood I used a mixture of two cans....I have no idea what they were called... which I bought from HopePro. They are stuck together with sticking tape and come with strict instructions in Thai that they are to be mixed together, then painted on. The first thing my Thai "carpenter" did was separate them and ignore the instructions. I mixed the two of them in the end and then became a painter along with the "carpenter's" helper who did the rest of the doors.
I also have exhaust fans in all my bathrooms that come on automatically when the hot water is used, but they also have separate switches.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Baht Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:05 am

Roger Ramjet wrote: HopePro

HopePro :lol: :lol: :lol:
Baht Man

Previous

Return to windows and doors