building our swimmingpool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: building our swimmingpool

Postby opentosuggestions » Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 am

jazzman wrote:Correct that concrete cures due to a chemical process. The water is part of that process and must be in the mix at the right proportion. Normal concrete is not designed to cure if it is over diluted. Keep the pit dry by running a pump until the concrete is hard enough to walk on. If your pool is going to be very deep and much below the permanent water table, consider incorporating a hydrostatic valve in the main drain.

Looking at the pictures of this pool, I do not see a main drain. Is that typical? Or maybe I missed it in the pictures?
opentosuggestions

Postby jazzman » Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm

It is extremely poor practice to design/build a pool without a main drain. The reasons for this should be obvious but I come across a great many pools that don't have them and in some cases it becomes necessary to retro fit them - how we do this is a trade secret :mrgreen:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby olavhome » Mon May 19, 2014 11:14 pm

One cup..two cups.... :? :?
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Tue May 20, 2014 8:03 am

olavhome wrote:One cup..two cups.... :? :?

Maybe an idea to read the entire thread - there are only five pages of it for ten minutes reading. It would save DIY pool builders dozens of hours of headaches and perhaps tens of thousands of baht of wasted money. At least the advice on CTH is free - even when provided by professionals :wink:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am

Very interesting ! reminds me of the drama with my water tank last month, they put plenty of bracing in but you really have to check it for any weak spots ,which is not easy when its all in there. That awful cracking noise is not nice to hear, Panic ,panic panic.!
Mike Judd

Postby chippy72 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:58 pm

ii am looking to build a pool in udon how much would a reasonable price be for a 7mx4m with a 2mx2m jakuuzi?
chippy72

Postby olavhome » Mon May 26, 2014 11:56 pm

jazzman wrote:
olavhome wrote:One cup..two cups.... :? :?

Maybe an idea to read the entire thread - there are only five pages of it for ten minutes reading. It would save DIY pool builders dozens of hours of headaches and perhaps tens of thousands of baht of wasted money. At least the advice on CTH is free - even when provided by professionals :wink:

Oh, I do. All treads are interesting and give good, invalueable advice about different aspects of building. My remarks was an attempt for a small joke, sorry if not lucky, guess language difficulties :lol:
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am

That has been a interesting read with lots of points to think about if you are contemplating building a pool like myself. Luckily like my house there's no rush so I have plenty of time to analyse any of the different ways of building it. I certainly don't want any of the dramas that I had with my water tank again, but at least I got some valuable lessons out of it. Most of the problems with building pools here would disappear if they were into Shotcrete or Gunite or even just plenty of concrete pumps to place the concrete just where you want it without having to rely on wheel barrows/ buckets or make shift chutes with all the drama of trying to place a truck load of concrete before it goes off, which is doubly hard with walls. Anyway to get back to my pool, because of limited space in the U of the house, I need to do away with removable formwork on the outside, which means either a block wall /sacrificial sheets of what ever or relying on a accurate dig of the hole, maybe running
Forticon plastic underlay up from the slab against the excavation walls. It's only going to be a metre in the ground and 500mm out of it at sitting height, just a cooling off pool really 6mt X 3mt with a water fall as a feature.
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 pm

chippy72 wrote:ii am looking to build a pool in udon how much would a reasonable price be for a 7mx4m with a 2mx2m jakuuzi?

I have just came across this forum, running quickly through this thread. Seeing roughly the pictures of pool building. Who is interested in a simple DIY, I can give few hints how I did it and it has been working over years with daily swimming:

For the ones who want to have a pool for a real swimming (in order to get some daily exercise for reducing his cholesterol, etc., better than a torture in a gym), if the location allows try always a longer pool, the best 10 - 12 m. I used to have one of 10m and it was not enough, now I have 12m and this is already a markable improvement once you want to swim daily few hundreds meters.

The width is not so important, you swim along the length, not the width (once you are not going to invite the whole village). My 3m are good for cleaning, bottom sucking, everything is done from the two long sides. Every m square less for walls cleaning and every cbm less of water you will later appreciate.

For the excavation I had invited a backhoe for a half day (some 4,000B), he did it very well in the rectangular shape, in one corner made a slope 2x2m for being able to drive out from the hole once finished. In this cutout the stairs had been implemented (forget a vertical ladder). Next day invited a smaller mobile cement mixer CPAC to lay 10cm thick bottom by a cheapest sort of concrete. (ca. 1,500 B/m3). Beforehand I had spread there a steel grid 20x20cm to have the bottom more reinforced. The sides of the grid pulled up some 30cm to the walls, to be connected later into the wall construction. Not to forget to lay 1 - 2 bottom outlets with a pipe 1.5" - 2", plug it properly against the concrete, bring the pipes to a spot at the future wall where it will be led to the filtering system.

The walls are erected just by the usual cement blocks 40x20x7cm - made at every village (4B/pc) - laid double in the thickness (3cm in-between) connected with a mortar of a usual available cement (110B/sack). It is good to lay a steel wire 3mm horizontally in-between the blocks around the walls. The walls and bottom are covered by usual ceramic tiles 40x40cm, better is to use even larger with good sharp edges laid with nearly no gap in-between (to spare yourself for a future cleaning of all the algy, this is where they like to setttle).

A filter with 6-way valve on the top is available at Global House for 7,500B, they have also a set with a pump. I did not take it , bought a separate pump 1kW with a pre-filter basket and plastic cover at a pump shop for 7,500B. The necessary piping and valves by PVC pipes 1.5". It is quite easy when no skimmer but one side with over-flow channel leading into a equalizing tank implemented under the stairs.

All this was made with village brick layers and a plumbing man.

A separate chapter is how to get a good water unless you do not get later crazy with the green/brown and/or milky water, this is not always easy in Thailand because of the strong ironized ground water (that I have got). If somebody interested I will advise later.
Klondyke

Postby fredlk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:07 am

Klondyke wrote:A separate chapter is how to get a good water unless you do not get later crazy with the green/brown and/or milky water, this is not always easy in Thailand because of the strong ironized ground water (that I have got). If somebody interested I will advise later.

Thanks, I am interested in what you have to tell.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:05 am

Topic split to water amd plumbing, good usful post Klondyke keep em comming I have similar problem with my bore water.

To follow see link below Mod.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611
pattayapope

Postby Klondyke » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:01 am

In fact, my story about the rusty water treatment do belong to this section. This is very important for the swimming pool people. Most and daily pool problems are always because of the water. And if the problems are not by algae then they are by iron and other metals especially when they come in contact with chlorines.

For houses that do not have a swimming pool the problem of rusty water is mostly not recognized. Their water pumped out from drilled wells will settle in the storage tanks anyway. With their low demand for water it will not disturb them, at the shower and other washing will not be found any water discoloration.
Klondyke

Postby olavhome » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Not quite correct, my MIL made well about 8 meters deep. I did clean away some dirt on my wall, looked ok in start like clean water, but few days later looked like this
DSC00123.JPG
olavhome

Postby Klondyke » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:11 pm

I quite do not understand (or do not see) what is on the picture wrong. In fact, such a tank would be good for the iron sedimentation, always is better to have a large surface.
Then, you can use such tank for a sedimentation continuously, when the inlet is at one end and the outlet at the other end. In addition, to insert few separation walls, something like a labyrinth to slow down the mixing of the new and old water. Of course, can be used only when the water outcome is quite slow. Not for the swimming pool first filling.
Klondyke

Postby Makmak456 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:47 am

stains on wall !!!
Makmak456

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool